Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AirRaid

Pre-load like hell - Steam data preload is live

For you guys who preordered through Steam, or a different site if they've released the keys early enough, the Pre-Load is up so you can start downloading the files. (Right click the game in your library, select Pre-load)

It's a 43.8GB download compressed, (Size on disc ~53GB) so actually less than they said people would need to download with the retail disc.

I'm still waiting on my CE. I'm kinda thinking that due to however they ship, it won't actually arrive on the 13th. Maybe it will, though.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I Wish i had netspeed like yours, I gotta wait like .. Half a day .

You won't be able to play it for another 1.5 days, unless hell freezes over and it unlocks earlier than stated.

DoomUK said:

You won't be able to play it for another 1.5 days, unless hell freezes over and it unlocks earlier than stated.

Great, I have time to Preload it .

DoomUK said:

Or the VPN-trick works...

DooM_RO said:

GMG still hasn't delivered my key yet.

Just got mine a few mins ago. You'll be all set soon I'm sure :)

Pre-Loading. Times like these I'm glad I work from home and control my schedule. I'm going to get absolutely nothing done this weekend and not feel bad about it. :P

sucks for us that pre-ordered a physical copy so we can get the revenant statue...my amazon is telling me i wont get my copy till Tuesday of next week :(

Got it all preloaded and ready for tomorrow night; it unlocks at 9PM for me so I have time for a couple hours of Doom
Stoked like hell

Unlocks at midnight tomorrow night in the UK. I'm too fucking old to stay up that late, guess I'll be playing it sometime on Friday.

tuo said:

Or the VPN-trick works...

Vpn trick you say... *grabs chair* please continue.
EDIT: Never mind looked it up and its a bannable offensive... I'm not a gambling man so I'll just wait.

(Also how many times would Doom 1 And 2 fit in this massive 45 gigs?)

Tompig said:

Vpn trick you say... *grabs chair* please continue.

(Also how many times would Doom 1 And 2 fit in this massive 45 gigs?)

It's nothing I would suggest to anyone.

Basically, you can fake the origin of your internet connection by connecting to a free VPN in another country. The service you access cannot distingiush you from someone who really has an internet connection within that country. To connecting to a free australian/new zealand VPN, configuring your steam account appropriatly, might give you access a couple of hours in advance. I am currently trying it on my second machine.

But you must be aware of what it means to run your entire internet up/downstream over an - to you - unknown server. It's similar to your provider, only that in this case the "provider" in between could be anyone who want's to evedrop on your packets.

So...don't do it, basically, unless you perfectly well know what you are doing.

Since my PS4 copy also just shipped, I am in a really shitty situation...I guess my PS4 copy will drop tomorrow before australia get's unlocked, after which my country will get unlocked...so...what to do? what to do? I hope that I will have some support cases/work to do tomorrow so I won't have the time to either take up the PS4 or the australia opportunity, and simply start playing like everyone else at 0:01 :)

Edit: a bannable offence??? They will never get me! *muhaahahaaaaa

Tompig said:

Must resist temptation too vpn.

Yeah, me too. I'm scared they'll ban me.

Did anyone preload at PSN? First it said its 57GB, after a few seconds it only stats 15GB.
Deleted the download an tried again - same amount of GB - 15.

DooM_RO said:

Don't do it! (you might steal my bandwidth!!!!) :)

DooM_RO said:

you have a steam copy so nothing will happen to you

It's only if you buy games that aren't available in your country with a vpn that will get you in trouble.

mistercow said:

you have a steam copy so nothing will happen to you

It's only if you buy games that aren't available in your country with a vpn that will get you in trouble.

Whilst I do appreciate you are trying to help out a fellow doomer, the ToS of steam make it quiet clear

'You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, we may terminate your access to your Account.'

Now I understand that theres like a 0.1% of getting banned for playing one game early but I don't want to be there if this is the game they decide to crack down on.

Also it's only another 24 hours it's not like we are waiting an extra week eh?

Fellow doomers, do not give into temptation, play through those old cacowards wads you never got around too whilst you wait!

Tompig said:

Whilst I do appreciate you are trying to help out a fellow doomer, the ToS of steam make it quiet clear

'You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, we may terminate your access to your Account.'

Now I understand that theres like a 0.1% of getting banned for playing one game early but I don't want to be there if this is the game they decide to crack down on.

Also it's only another 24 hours it's not like we are waiting an extra week eh?

Fellow doomers, do not give into temptation, play through those old cacowards wads you never got around too whilst you wait!

Huh I never read that and assumed that valve didn't care about using it for playing a game early.

my b

mistercow said:

Huh I never read that and assumed that valve didn't care about using it for playing a game early.

my b

Well many people claim they have never been banned for such a thing and you can only really get banned for proxying if you use it to buy cheaper steam games. But I don't know how valve work and how they view things, I'd just hate for someone to do it and there be a massive change in policy and steam go on a witch hunt over the sake of a day or so.

pipapoh said:

Did anyone preload at PSN? First it said its 57GB, after a few seconds it only stats 15GB.
Deleted the download an tried again - same amount of GB - 15.

The way downloads work on PSN is it will download a certain amount to get some portion of a game playable (in this case, 15 gigs) which may amount to only having the main menu and the loadout/character creation, and MAYBE a single level.
The other 45+ gigs are still downloading, you'll notice once it reaches the first 15, in the dashboard if you press options on the game, bring up information, it will show you how many gigs/57 the download is currently at.

OK, so I preordered a physical copy of the game and I created a steam account. What do I do when I get the game? I never used steam before.

Nevermind, I got it.