Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
savagegrant

The most well-hidden secrets

Forgive me if a thread like this has been made in the past. I was gonna name it "Secretly secret secrets" but that's just silly. :P

What are some of the most well-hidden secrets in all of the Doom IWADs and PWADs? The first one encountered would arguably be the Soul Sphere in E1M3 when shareware Doom was released. The secret exits for both Episode 1 and Episode 3 were quite well hidden too.

The 4th secret in MAP05 of "Revolution!". Not only it can't be accessed, it can't be even located, because the sector physically doesn't exist in the map, only in the map's superfluous data.

For me it was Sunlust MAP30. I remember that i spent two hours and didn't found until one test demo was released where was showed that secret. Even Doom Builder can't help you here to find the way as there all based on new created scripts.

The secrets in the Wolfenstein maps. There are no clues at all. It's all about pushing walls. Of course, you probably knew them already if you played Wolfenstein, but still such a boring concept of hiding secrets.

Guess why I absolutely never could warm up to that game to begin with...

My favorite Doom secret would be the secret exit in E1M3, it was the last one I discovered in the game.

It's not counted as a secret, but backpack in Doom II map 03 was really unobvious and took me a loooong while to find, despite that i played map 03 like very many times.
Map 01 rocket luncher secret also is really unobvious.

From Doom 1 i don't remember any extremely hidden sectrets, except maybe the lift secret from E1M1 and secret exit puzzle in E1M3.

It's pity that we talk only about classic Doom secrets, because Doom 3 had some very cleverly hidden secrets. (And Blood, too, it even had 'super secrets', which were insanely unobvious and impossible to find without manual).

fairly sure I haven't found all the secrets in TNT.wad yet lol, love that cheeky secret behind one of the telepads on Map 03 - even has a Megasphere on easy! actually the Map 02 switch/teleporter room secret is an area I'm loathe to go because it's dangerous haha.

& only found out about the Map 11 megasphere because Dime started using it in his speed route

ChekaAgent said:

Doom 3 had some very cleverly hidden secrets.

Such as? You got me curious, and I don't see a problem with discussing them here anyway. Out of "interesting" secrets in Doom 3, I only remember a couple ones (in fact, maybe just one) that required you to jump off a ledge and crawl on some pipes.

For me, it was the secret exit in E3M6 -- the idea of "rocket-shoving" (purposely hurting yourself via splash damage) was the antithesis of how I played

LogicDeLuxe said:

The secrets in the Wolfenstein maps. There are no clues at all. It's all about pushing walls. Of course, you probably knew them already if you played Wolfenstein, but still such a boring concept of hiding secrets.

Good lord am I glad they abandoned that with Doom for the most part. Doom is really good at using visual queues to minimize all humping, whereas Wolf was downright sadistic about it!

Voros said:

The Rocket Launcher in MAP01

How the hell did developers expect players to find where the Rocket Launcher is in that map .

scifista42 said:

Such as? You got me curious, and I don't see a problem with discussing them here anyway. Out of "interesting" secrets in Doom 3, I only remember a couple ones (in fact, maybe just one) that required you to jump off a ledge and crawl on some pipes.

I remember that: Heath pack(that's what I remember)

I jump off a ledge and crawl on some pipes, to get HEALTH
The only "secret" in Doom 3 I remember is this:
I walk through this tight corner and suddenly two imps appear from a closet and ambush me and the corner was completely dark. Behind the imps is a wall. Behind it, some shells. SHELLS.

Doom 3 rules!

scifista42 said:

How about that chaingun early secret (If I'm not mistaken) that required you to go on an actual website to find the code?

Lutz said:

For me, it was the secret exit in E3M6 -- the idea of "rocket-shoving" (purposely hurting yourself via splash damage) was the antithesis of how I played

I didn't even know that was a thing and just kept strafe running. It's legitimately possible to get yourself in there that way, but it's much harder.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

How the hell did developers expect players to find where the Rocket Launcher is in that map .

Maybe it wasn't supposed to be found, a rocket launcher in level 1 is too early, that's why it has to be very hard to find.

Although, when I went up the ledge, the first think I thought was, can I run and land on the square below? Is it possible? Maybe it's a secret? It's a possibility a player might think to try, maybe in later playthroughs. Although, when you do it you don't know what opened. And there is also the secret behind and the button that opens the outside I think? I always mix which opens what.

Artifact has tricky ones.
In the text you are warned that you can enter the health areas any time, but they it will seal off some others.

Just copy&paste my .txt from a Max demo
We are not warned against chaingun/RL/plasma alternative. You MUST pick up the chaingun first if you want to get all three weapons (of course, no-one is going to pick up the chaingun when they already have one, so this is devious). RL and plasma are secrets.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I never bother with secrets unless I think I know how to get it.
I never knew this secret, even though I have played MAP01 countless times.
And my brother. My 6 year old brother, tells me he found a rocket launcher in this secret room.
My reaction was basically WTF.

What do you think of secrets that require you to take a leap of faith, like on Abandoned Mines? Although, that one's probably one of the more obvious ones, simply because the player demo outright reveals it but hey.

Secrets that require a leap of faith are OK with me. It's just usually annoying when this faith turns out to be vain after all. :P

ArchvileHunter said:

The secret exit in E4M2

THIS! Took me a while to discover it.

Guest Unregistered account
joe-ilya said:

A 1x1 switch hidden in a wall.

... Which is hidden by a sidedef, activates only by Gunfire and is shoved extremely far back so that you have to line up perfectly to get it.

Oh, boy.

Kapanyo said:

... Which is hidden by a sidedef, activates only by Gunfire and is shoved extremely far back so that you have to line up perfectly to get it.

Oh, boy.

HacX map03!

I remember the chaingun in E1M2 of the shareware Doom used to be hard to find.

The RL in MAP01 of Doom 2 was easy to find by accident, just return after you get everything else.

@ yakfak: I never realized until I watched a speed demo of it but that room is very easy if you actually telefrag the enemies.

Fonze said:

The RL in MAP01 of Doom 2 was easy to find by accident, just return after you get everything else.

If you're like me and you like to save things like health bonuses, soul spheres, and armor until you've beaten the level so your health is as high as it can possibly be when you exit. In this case, health bonuses in the circular room just ahead of the rocket launcher.

Fonze said:

Might sound simple now, but back then there was no way I would think of revisiting old locations just to check if something opened. This is also why I would never find the secret inside the secret in E1M1 by myself. It was so mindblowing to discover it through some video on YouTube.