Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RestlessRodent

ReMooD Super Thread

As suggested by an administrator, this thread is to be a gigantic super thread which is all about ReMooD.

Site: http://remood.org/
Repository: http://remood.org/, uses fossil as a VCS.
GitHub Mirror (Read-Only): https://github.com/RestlessRodent/ReMooD

ReMooD is licensed under the GNU GPLv3 and is derived from Doom Legacy 1.42. Its initial goal is to have 100% compatibility with Doom Legacy and previous versions of it but with a more stable base (also Vanilla compatibility is a goal). ReMooD has four player split-screen support which permits multiple players to play at once, in the future bots will also be added. One of the main reasons I am developing this port is so that you can play with others or with bots easily, so it can be a kind of local multiplayer experience. Another goal is to be user friendly so that games are simple to setup.

My target release date for ReMooD 1.0a is early December (just in time for Doom's birthday).

ReMooD is transitioning into being written in Java and as such to run it you require at least a Java 7 virtual machine (if you lack one, I would highly recommend you install the JDK instead of he JRE). This should make it so that the code base is clean, easy to modify, and does not crash much. There is also the advantage that ReMooD can gain the optimizations of the Java Virtual Machine without requiring the game to be recompiled for every new CPU that comes out. Having the code in Java also eases portability because the JVM is to be targetted.

Automated builds are at: http://remood.org:8079/ (Currently these contain source code only)

ReMooD so far should run on Linux and Windows, Mac OS X and other operating systems are untested.

Intentional double post to not clutter the first message.

Currently I only have development systems which run Linux (the newest Windows I have an installation of is Windows 98). So, although I can use Wine, code might not work in that or have specific issues. Thus I require some testers for Windows. Given the following file http://remood.org:8079/fixed/remood_win32_20160511.zip, extract it somewhere and place the appropriate IWAD in it then attempt to run it. Then tell me if it runs the game or appears to do nothing or pops up errors, etc.

An easier solution for me would be if someone where to grant me access to a Windows box through VNC (QEMU or VirtualBox is fine) with an internet connection where I can more directly test running this on Windows. This also goes for Mac OS X since I lack that hardware also.

I thought ReMood was dead, nice to see its still around!

Version: 1511
OS Build: 10586.318

Failure to run the program with this message:
System Error "The program can't start because jvm.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Tiger said:

I thought ReMood was dead, nice to see its still around!

Only was a haitus.

Tiger said:

Version: 1511
OS Build: 10586.318

Failure to run the program with this message:
System Error "The program can't start because jvm.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Do you have a 32-bit Java installed?

Hm, could you probably tell us a bit more (non-technical) about Remood itself? What are its special features, what makes it outstanding? What is your code based upon and what are your future goals (apart from porting it to Java <-- why that)?

GhostlyDeath said:

Alternatively there is also the 64-bit Windows version of ReMooD: http://remood.org:8079/fixed/remood_win64_20160511.zip.

As for the jvm.dll, find your Java installation (has to be the same number of bits) and find a file called "jvm.dll" and copy it into the ReMooD directory, then try running it again.

Okay, I copied the 'jvm.dll' [64bit] to the ReMooD directory and fetched your 64bit build. Sadly, I can't run the program. No error messages display on the screen nor on the terminal when I tried to invoke it through the CLI. Sorry, I don't know what more I could do to help.

EDIT:
There's no ReMood tasks in the Task Manager.
And there's not even a log entry in the EventViewer (just in case). I reached a dead-end from here.

Tiger said:

Okay, I copied the 'jvm.dll' [64bit] to the ReMooD directory and fetched your 64bit build. Sadly, I can't run the program. No error messages display on the screen nor on the terminal when I tried to invoke it through the CLI. Sorry, I don't know what more I could do to help.

EDIT:
There's no ReMood tasks in the Task Manager.
And there's not even a log entry in the EventViewer (just in case). I reached a dead-end from here.

Trying creating a batch file, I suppose called run.bat in the ReMooD directory, fill it with

REM Set this to your Java home directory with the same number of bits.
REM The directory should contain directories called "bin", "lib"
set _ALT_JAVA_HOME_DIR=C:\Program Files\Java\jre7
remood.exe %*
Modify it accordingly. DO NOT QUOTE THE PATH

GhostlyDeath said:

Trying creating a batch file, I suppose called run.bat in the ReMooD directory, fill it with

REM Set this to your Java home directory with the same number of bits.
REM The directory should contain directories called "bin", "lib"
set _ALT_JAVA_HOME_DIR=C:\Program Files\Java\jre7
remood.exe %*
Modify it accordingly. DO NOT QUOTE THE PATH

That did it and it's working! I changed this line to match with my host system

set _ALT_JAVA_HOME_DIR=C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_60

GhostlyDeath said:

Also, are you running Java 7 or 8?

Version 8 Update 60

fabian said:

Hm, could you probably tell us a bit more (non-technical) about Remood itself? What are its special features, what makes it outstanding? What is your code based upon and what are your future goals (apart from porting it to Java <-- why that)?

I have done this, check the first post.

Tiger said:

That did it and it's working! I changed this line to match with my host system

set _ALT_JAVA_HOME_DIR=C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_60
Version 8 Update 60

Ok that is good.

Also, if you go to the command prompt, can you

echo %JAVA_HOME%
and tell me if it prints out anything.

For now when I finish setting up automated builds for Windows I will need to include the batch file with instructions on setting it up, at least now I know that the builds can be made to work.

GhostlyDeath said:

Ok that is good.

Also, if you go to the command prompt, can you

echo %JAVA_HOME%
and tell me if it prints out anything.

No variable exists, it seems.

[Wed.11.May.2016 15:02:56.50] [C:\Users\Nicholas]
$ echo %JAVA_HOME%
%JAVA_HOME%
If it helps, when I try looking through my environment variables for anything with Java in it, I get this:
[Wed.11.May.2016 15:05:54.79] [C:\Users\Nicholas]
$ set | findstr /i "java"
Path=C:\Programs\Python27\;C:\Programs\Python27\Scripts;C:\ProgramData\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\120\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\nodejs\;C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTSystem\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Web Platform Installer\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\GtkSharp\2.12\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\;C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\130\Tools\Binn\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Windows Performance Toolkit\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Emulator Manager\1.0\;C:\Program Files\Git\cmd;C:\Users\Nicholas\AppData\Roaming\npm

Tiger said:

If it helps, when I try looking through my environment variables for anything with Java in it, I get this:

What if you were to run something such as this http://stackoverflow.com/a/3930575?

I would want the run script to be a bit more automatic, so if this SO answer works then I cna base a script off that one.

GhostlyDeath said:

What if you were to run something such as this http://stackoverflow.com/a/3930575?

I would want the run script to be a bit more automatic, so if this SO answer works then I cna base a script off that one.

Here you go, exact copy - I made no modifications from that script.

[Wed.11.May.2016 15:29:54.13] [D:\Desktop]
$ SomeJavaThingyFromSomeSite.bat
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_60

Tiger said:

Here you go, exact copy - I made no modifications from that script.

[Wed.11.May.2016 15:29:54.13] [D:\Desktop]
$ SomeJavaThingyFromSomeSite.bat
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_60

Ok that is good, so this means I generally do not need to rely on the user to set the variable themselves as long as they use a batch script to start the game.

Looks to be that way, but there has to be a better way to resolve that issue. Not many users are going to fiddle around with programs, especially if the .exe doesn't work in a OOBE philosophy. That is unless you're going to limit your crowed to a specific group, but that could hurt gaining new users in the long run.

Unfortunately, I don't know how I could help you in this area. I never really worked with Java before, other than as a common user.

Tiger said:

OOBE

At the current stage, ReMooD is a C program which creates a JVM (which resides in the JVM library) so that Java code can be executed. Eventually once all of the code is in Java, ReMooD would be launched via the JAR or some wrapper instead. So using the script is a requirement for now, however 1.0a would be released when the code is purely Java.

Instead of writing the Java code from scratch, I am just slowly writing similar functionality in Java an then changing the C code to use the Java code instead.

Danfun64 said:

https://paste.debian.net/hidden/7b0ee7b1/

Is Remood supposed to be runnable at this stage of development?

It appears the automatic builds are currently not correct, they are pulling from the wrong branch.

EDIT: Development on the actual head might be playable or broken depending on the current stage of translating code to Java.

I'm having trouble cloning the fossil repository. Connection errors and things like that. Since you say autobuilds (both bin and src?) are broken, there's no way to compile the trunk on my own...

edit: On other notes, how does remood (and the latest versions of Doom Legacy) handle endian conversion, specifically regarding network play. I know that SRB2 (at least in 2.0.X, not sure about 2.1) can't connect to opposite endian servers...

Danfun64 said:

I'm having trouble cloning the fossil repository. Connection errors and things like that. Since you say autobuilds (both bin and src?) are broken, there's no way to compile the trunk on my own...

My server has some issues sometimes, you can either try again or download http://remood.org:8079/fixed/remood_20160628.fossil. You would then continue using it as you normally would (fossil repositories are stored in a single file always), so you would perform a fossil open remood.fossil.

I have not worked on ReMooD in awhile though due to being busy with work. Note that currently the latest revision has some incomplete code because I am migrating the profiles and basic system interface code.

Danfun64 said:

edit: On other notes, how does remood (and the latest versions of Doom Legacy) handle endian conversion, specifically regarding network play. I know that SRB2 (at least in 2.0.X, not sure about 2.1) can't connect to opposite endian servers...

I do not know of Doom Legacy above 1.42, however I believe 1.42 works correctly.

As for ReMooD (early 1.0a, as in tip's decendency), I made sure it was able to play across differing endians.

GhostlyDeath said:

Note that currently the latest revision has some incomplete code because I am migrating the profiles and basic system interface code.

Gotcha.

Running run.bat from the 32-bit version on my 64-bit system gives me the error "\Java\jre1.8.0_101\bin\server\jvm.dll was unexpected at this time."

Running 32-bit remood.exe directly gives me the error "The program can't start because SDL.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." with a similar error messages for jvm.dll. Lo and behold, SDL.dll does not come with this package. there is no SDL.dll in the 64-bit zip either.

Danfun64 said:

Running run.bat from the 32-bit version on my 64-bit system gives me the error "\Java\jre1.8.0_101\bin\server\jvm.dll was unexpected at this time."

Running 32-bit remood.exe directly gives me the error "The program can't start because SDL.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem." with a similar error messages for jvm.dll. Lo and behold, SDL.dll does not come with this package. there is no SDL.dll in the 64-bit zip either.

Try again, I included SDL.dll in the ZIP, but since you are on a 64-bit system run only the 64-bit version. This of course requires a 64-bit JVM to be installed, if you do not have a 64-bit JVM then manually copy the 32-bit JVM DLL as before overwriting any previous one in the ReMooD directory. Then in run.bat change "_ALT_JAVA_HOME_DIR" to the location of your 32-bit JVM as before.

Note that the batch script and such is only transitional while the code is being ported to Java.

Danfun64 said:

Results of compiling from Xubuntu 16.04 64-bit computer.
https://paste.debian.net/hidden/b3b7aeda/

It compiled a remood file but no remood.wad file. Copying the remood file to a new directory and using the remood.wad from the 64-bit windows release as well as doom2.wad, I get these results. https://paste.debian.net/hidden/4a54408f/

make clean
Edit the makefile and on line 236, add:
-fno-stack-protector -fno-stack-protector-all
after
CC_CFLAGS =
and see if it runs then.

I did not get a chance to fix all of the code safety issues since they will naturally be removed when the code starts moving to Java.

So this?

CC_CFLAGS = -fno-stack-protector -fno-stack-protector-all $(CC_SUBSYSTEMCFLAGS) $(CC_SYSTEMCFLAGS) $(CC_MODECFLAGS) -I$(INPUT_SRC) -I$(INPUT_ISRC)
With that code, this happens
danfun64@danfun64-Aspire-5560:~/Documents/doom-src/remoodsrc_09a$ make
gcc -c isrc/sdl/dosstr.c -o objs/lrdosstr.o -fno-stack-protector -fno-stack-protector-all -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT -DLINUX -DDIRECTFULLSCREEN -DSDL -DVID_X11 -DENABLEMULTITHREADING -g1 -O2 -DNDEBUG -Isrc -Iisrc
gcc-5.real: error: unrecognized command line option ‘-fno-stack-protector-all’
GNUmakefile:502: recipe for target 'objs/lrdosstr.o' failed
make: *** [objs/lrdosstr.o] Error 1