Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tuo

VPN Tutorial to play Doom on PC now!

Since people requested it.
Please note: you do this at your own risk! If anything happens to your computer, your steam account etc. pp., you have been warned.

Complete the pre-load, then:

1. Stop Steam (not only exit it, but also kill the process/stop it from the task bar)
2. Go here: https://www.f-secure.com, go to Downloads, download "F-Secure Freedome" 14 day trail. Install.
3. Close your favourite browser
4. Start F-Secure Freedome, and change your location in F-Secure to Australia, Melbourne. Connect to the VPN
5. Start your favourite browser and access the steam store page for Doom 2016
6. Start Steam

You should now be able to start Doom.

Note: you should turn off the VPN after this procedure. To make sure that Steam does not go back into "Doom is not yet released" mode, put it in offline mode before you disconnect the VPN, and put it back in online mode tomorrow, when the game is officially released in your timezone.

Meanwhile, if you ordered the collectors edition you have to wait yet another week to play because it doesn't ship over the weekend.

I really hope my May 17th date is just Amazon trying to protect their interests.

tuo said:

Since people requested it.
Please note: you do this at your own risk! If anything happens to your computer, your steam account etc. pp., you have been warned.

Complete the pre-load, then:

1. Stop Steam (not only exit it, but also kill the process/stop it from the task bar)
2. Go here: https://www.f-secure.com, go to Downloads, download "F-Secure Freedome" 14 day trail. Install.
3. Close your favourite browser
4. Start F-Secure Freedome, and change your location in F-Secure to Australia, Melbourne. Connect to the VPN
5. Start your favourite browser and access the steam store page for Doom 2016
6. Start Steam

You should now be able to start Doom.

Note: you should turn off the VPN after this procedure. To make sure that Steam does not go back into "Doom is not yet released" mode, put it in offline mode before you disconnect the VPN, and put it back in online mode tomorrow, when the game is officially released in your timezone.

Doesn't this mean we won't be able to get achievements?

This isn't working for me at all, and I've followed the steps to a T.

If I go to the Steam store page in my browser with the VPN enabled, it shows DOOM has been released, which is great. The moment I login, though, it's as if Steam recognizes my actual location and DOOM is immediately locked away.

I also made sure to close my Steam Mobile app, and Steam isn't running on any other machines.

chubz said:

This isn't working for me at all, and I've followed the steps to a T.

If I go to the Steam store page in my browser with the VPN enabled, it shows DOOM has been released, which is great. The moment I login, though, it's as if Steam recognizes my actual location and DOOM is immediately locked away.

I also made sure to close my Steam Mobile app, and Steam isn't running on any other machines.

Did you also stop the Steam background task/service? Closing Steam is not enough, as it runs a background task. Worked for me perfectly, allready a mission 5, while taking some breaks to cook for the family :)

tuo said:

Did you also stop the Steam background task/service? Closing Steam is not enough, as it runs a background task. Worked for me perfectly, allready a mission 5, while taking some breaks to cook for the family :)

Are you talking about the Steam task/service that you can close by right-clicking the Steam icon in the notification area (lower-right corner), then clicking Exit? If so, yes. I also opened Task Manager and saw no Steam-related processes running.

Also, are you using Steam Guard by any chance? Perhaps there are some account security settings that can conflict with VPNs?

EDIT: Another question I meant to ask. When you say to visit the store page in Step 5, must you also LOGIN on that page? Because it automatically logs me out when I use a VPN (same for the Steam client; I have to re-enter my password). Once more, I sense there are some account security settings at play here...

I figured it out!

If you're having the same issues I was above, be sure to follow these additional steps:
1. Disable Steam Guard
2. Change your Steam password (can be done when you're logged in via the VPN)
3. Close Steam (process and all), and re-open it and log back in with your new password

Once you perform those steps, you should be able to unlock the game.

hardcore_gamer said:

Is it really that hard to wait 4 hours more?

EDIT: Also, isn't this kinda not allowed? Starting a game before it's released?

This is my thought, however I have over 8 hours to go. I just want the unpacking and shit ready to go right when it strikes 9pm PST.

hardcore_gamer said:

Is it really that hard to wait 4 hours more?

Yes. Yes it is. (For me it's actually ~9 hours more.)

mistercow said:

Does the game quit when you die with your vpn off for anybody else?

Happened to me exactly once (after switching VPN of and going to Offline mode). Clean cut to black screen, then to desktop, no error or anything. After that, no longer, works like a charm.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Is it safe ?

Yea it's safe. So safe that gamespot is streaming danny play it while using a vpn

EDIT: forget this comment hes playing the console version

Game is playable for me now! I won't be getting much sleep tonight lol.

EDIT: NOOOOOOO! Have to unpack the game first and it's gonna take another 15 min :(

Thanks for this man. I couldn't wait another fuckin day. So glad I got to play before work. This shit is easily my favorite game in the last 5 or so years, and I'm only 3 hours in!