Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nineball

Bugs and other issues so far

So after unlocking the game and giving it a go i've already noticed some crappy bugs that shouldn't exist in todays games.

1. Holy hell the texture pop-in (the same shitty issue that Rage had) is back and very noticeable.

2. resolution settings seemed to be fucked. Full screen is broken if you try to play in fullscreen outside your native res. im on a 4k monitor and wanted to test out 2k at ultra settings and see if i could keep a steady 60 fps and the screen wont actually full screen.

also Ultra Violence is too easy so far. might get harder later in the game but right now im not satisfied with the difficulty (this hopfully wont be an issue later in the game)

Also in testing snap map you can only hold two weapons. unless there is some hidden feature to change this, this was a huge fucking mistake.

Probably going to refund the game and wait for a bit.

My Rig for reference:

6600K @ 4.7ghz
EVGA GTX980 Ti Hybrid OC to 1544
16 gigs of ddr4 2400
840 pro SSD

running at 4k i can get some what stable 60fps running on high with some settings turned to ultra (no AA) and v-sync locks the game to 30 fps... wtf??

Nineball said:

1. Holy hell the texture pop-in (the same shitty issue that Rage had) is back and very noticeable.

Yessir. That Idtech 6 is likely just Idtech 5 with some bells and whistles... and if so, it'll have texture pop in just like any other Id tech 5 game.

Simple fix, though... either install the game on a SSD and voila... texture issues gone, or use the rage/wolf page file/cache fix to get rid of it. I posted a tutorial on that over on guru3d forums a few years back, let me dig up that post and paste it here.

LANEGRACABRA said:

Weird, haven't seen anyone mentioning texture pop-in in Neogaf, and those guys and gals really find things to bitch about!

Saw them a little bit in beta/alpha, but usually only when the map first started.

Also will note... they seemed to occur at 2k and quite a bit more at 4k, but was unnoticeable in 1080p.

Buckshot said:

Yessir. That Idtech 6 is likely just Idtech 5 with some bells and whistles... and if so, it'll have texture pop in just like any other Id tech 5 game.

Simple fix, though... either install the game on a SSD and voila... texture issues gone, or use the rage/wolf page file/cache fix to get rid of it. I posted a tutorial on that over on guru3d forums a few years back, let me dig up that post and paste it here.

Fantastic! I bought another SSD specifically for Doom.

Nineball said:

also Ultra Violence is too easy so far. might get harder later in the game but right now im not satisfied with the difficulty (this hopfully wont be an issue later in the game)

Sigh; that's what I was worried about. The original Doom certainly wasn't
impossible on UV; but playing Final Doom in UV usually gave you a run for your
money. I assumed since games have evolved and most old school Doom players
have gone through Final Doom; they'd want something challenging!

I only notice texture pop-in when I select a weapon for the first time on a map.

Then again, not yet running at 4k (just 1080p), gonna try that tomorrow on my other rig.

I think the engine is very well optimized so far.

tuo said:

I only notice texture pop-in when I select a weapon for the first time on a map.

Then again, not yet running at 4k (just 1080p), gonna try that tomorrow on my other rig.

It's actually not the engines fault that pop in occurs... rather the shitty old cache and transfer rates of platter-based harddrives. As soon as you tweak that or remove it out of the equation, and toss in a ssd, boom... issue is gone. At higher resolutions, it's going to be more apparent due to bandwidth/transfer rate required for those texture streams.

There was also a ppf / cpu setting in rage & other Idtech 5 games, where if you set the ppf too high, your processor would handle faster than your HDD was capable of and cause popin.

I'm definitely worried about this being a buggy piece of crap. On beta I saw so many visual bugs. And we are talking open beta. Which they had no time to fix.

I wonder if the texture pops are part of the engine's attempt to use on-the-fly optimization to ensure a steady framerate...

Whymes5 said:

I'm definitely worried about this being a buggy piece of crap. On beta I saw so many visual bugs. And we are talking open beta. Which they had no time to fix.

Don't worry. I was prepared for the Idtech5 carryover errata since october. I'm actually honestly suprised they got SLI working this time around (or so they say). That was a big no-no in any idtech5 engine game.

We're going to make sure you get through this, one bug at a time.

Take my hand, Whymes *holds out hand*

Big daddy buckshot will guide you... it'll be, heh, a bonding experience.

tuo said:

So texture pop in is there, but is likely much more noticeable for higher res? How much would I likely notice (monitor is 1600x900)?

Buckshot said:

Don't worry. I was prepared for the Idtech5 carryover errata since october. I'm actually honestly suprised they got SLI working this time around (or so they say). That was a big no-no in any idtech5 engine game.

We're going to make sure you get through this, one bug at a time.

Take my hand, Whymes *holds out hand*

Big daddy buckshot will guide you... it'll be, heh, a bonding experience.

You even got them crazy eyes, dude...

Buckshot said:

It's actually not the engines fault that pop in occurs... rather the shitty old cache and transfer rates of platter-based harddrives. As soon as you tweak that or remove it out of the equation, and toss in a ssd, boom... issue is gone. At higher resolutions, it's going to be more apparent due to bandwidth/transfer rate required for those texture streams.

There was also a ppf / cpu setting in rage & other Idtech 5 games, where if you set the ppf too high, your processor would handle faster than your HDD was capable of and cause popin.

Yeah, I know. To be honest, one of the worst offenders regarding Texture Popin in my book is Unreal Engine 3.
I am currently playing from a very slow 1tb SATA drive in 1080p, and basically notice nothing.

Will tomorrow switch to the other rig with a M.2 SSD and Dual 980 SC, and try out 4K.

LANEGRACABRA said:

You even got them crazy eyes, dude...

Probably from all the nose candy.

(PS: Joking.... I think.)

Great, I won't able to play this on medium at 2560x1080. I was aiming to play it in 720p on medium.

[LeD]Jake Crusher said:

Hope that we can expect to see that page file/cache fix very soon, right?

I want to make sure it still applies to the folder/install structure of DOOM.

I get my copy at midnight tonight since, you know, I'm not a streetdate-breaking spoilin' scumbag.

Once I get a chance to install, confirm it matches the cache file of rage & wolf:tno/ob, then I'll post it.

Until I can confirm that, providing it otherwise may not even be valid, or if so, break your installation. And the last thing I need is a bunch of angry, pissed off day-one'ers yelling at me that my instructions botched their 55gb install, and they have to redownload.

So please, patience until I can test. Thanks.

Don't get me wrong, the game seems cool and all but I still see buggy animations and things like that. If there isn't some sort of hotfix very soon after release for these sorts of things it'll be dissapointing... not that the original doom was without its bugs. Lol

Nineball said:

So after unlocking the game and giving it a go i've already noticed some crappy bugs that shouldn't exist in todays games.

My Rig for reference:

6600K @ 4.7ghz
EVGA GTX980 Ti Hybrid OC to 1544
16 gigs of ddr4 2400
840 pro SSD

running at 4k i can get someone stable 60fps so running on high with some settings turned to ultra (no AA) and v-sync locks the game to 30 fps... wtf??

Of course you're gonna get texture pop in if you're trying to run this game at 4k, dial the resolution down to 1440p and see if it gets better.

Whymes5 said:

Don't get me wrong, the game seems cool and all but I still see buggy animations and things like that. If there isn't some sort of hotfix very soon after release for these sorts of things it'll be dissapointing... not that the original doom was without its bugs. Lol

I mean, we can't hold standards of bugs in a 12 megabyte game from 1993 to a 55 gigabyte game in 2016.. we just cant.

How the hell can they look over not supporting SLI? This isn't 2010 anymore..

Champskiez103 said:

Sigh; that's what I was worried about. The original Doom certainly wasn't
impossible on UV; but playing Final Doom in UV usually gave you a run for your
money. I assumed since games have evolved and most old school Doom players
have gone through Final Doom; they'd want something challenging!

I don't get opinions like this. I don't know what you're expecting from games made after 1996, but all Final Doom is is a standalone expansion for Doom 2. Most people will have played at least Doom 1; what you're suggesting is that there should be a linear progression of difficulty over the course of twenty years to please "old school" players who might or might not have put up with "Milo and Dario Casali Hate Your Guts: The Game." That doesn't even remotely make sense.

Nvidia still haven't released drivers for doom yet so before concluding wait and see what the performance is like under the new drivers.

Also report any game bugs to Bethesda feedback forums, more people reporting it more likely it will get patched as there is going to be big support for the game.

LANEGRACABRA said:

Reminder: idtech6 doesn't support SLI. Turn it off for better performance.

It does as of tonight when Nvidia releases it's game-ready DOOM optimized driver.

Technically it did before in betas, but it was broken.

Glaice said:

How the hell can they look over not supporting SLI? This isn't 2010 anymore..

Nvidia has been doing SLI since about 2004, with the geforce 6800 gpu.

And, of course, 3dfx far prior in the 90's.

What about the talk of Vulcan support coming later? people with 9xx cards can use it and it will significantly boost performance? I'm not much of a hardware geek.