Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

DOOM easter eggs / references / injokes

ant said:

I still remember listening to DOOM 1's E1M8's sound track on a GUS since I had crappy MIDI back in the 90s. Wow.

Are there any other tunes like these in DOOM 4? ;)

I can't find the tweet, but when someone asked mick gordon about it, he pointed out that the 'BFG Division rhythm and structure was based out of Pantera's 'Mouth for war' AKA E3M1, this is more noticeable from 1:14 onwards
Also the theme from 'Waltz of the Demons' appears on the same track

ant said:

Are there any other tunes like these in DOOM 4?

I can hear "Into Sandy's City" from this one, starting 0:51

I don't know if that has been posted yet but the Jetboots are called "Delta-V" which is a physics joke. Delta-v or ∆v is the change in velocity or impulse needed for an action and is used in flight dynamics.

This one is a stretch, but anyone else think John R Raydan might be a reference to john carmack?

No, i don't see John Carmack reference in there. Also, i wonder what Samuel Hayden looks like in his human life, before his human soul transferred into a robot body.

Chickensoup101 said:

No, i don't see John Carmack reference in there. Also, i wonder what Samuel Hayden looks like in his human life, before his human soul transferred into a robot body.

Ok that MIGHT be like John Carmack.

Chickensoup101 said:

Also, i wonder what Samuel Hayden looks like in his human life, before his human soul transferred into a robot body.

Linguica said:

...... I'm having Taken movie flashback...

" If you give me the Crucible, that will be the end of it. I will not tether you, i won't bring you back inside that tomb. But if you don't... I will find you and i will slay you... "

DMPhobos said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNkQMtZAMAw
I can't find the tweet, but when someone asked mick gordon about it, he pointed out that the 'BFG Division rhythm and structure was based out of Pantera's 'Mouth for war' AKA E3M1, this is more noticeable from 1:14 onwards
Also the theme from 'Waltz of the Demons' appears on the same track

I knew there was a reason why I liked BFG Div. so much!

Also, I've been hearing things of an easter egg involving Hugo Martin, any info. of that?

I don't know if anybody picked up on this, but...

From Doom II's ending:

THE HORRENDOUS VISAGE OF THE BIGGEST
  DEMON YOU'VE EVER SEEN CRUMBLES BEFORE
  YOU, AFTER YOU PUMP YOUR ROCKETS INTO
  HIS EXPOSED BRAIN. THE MONSTER SHRIVELS
  UP AND DIES, ITS THRASHING LIMBS
  DEVASTATING UNTOLD MILES OF HELL'S
  SURFACE.

I immediately saw a connection.

(Mind the concept image, I don't actually own the game myself to take a screenshot)

That's what I was thinking, especially given that firing rockets into its forehead-hole does a thing.

EDIT

The one in the concept image, you *do* see it in game. You leap right down its 'throat'. Either way, I saw the horns and the arms and immediately thought of the Doom 2 end text.

This isn't really an easter egg, but it's still interesting nonetheless

After the first arena on Lazarus Labs, you'll come across a window with a monster walking by, I didn't pay any attention to it at all, like most people I assume, but just now I decided to take a look at it after hearing it make a weird noise. I thought it was a mancubus, turned out to be a cyberdemon

And by looking at the automap, it turns out that it walks into the room you fight it in!

BluePineapple72 said:

After the first arena on Lazarus Labs, you'll come across a window with a monster walking by, I didn't pay any attention to it at all, like most people I assume, but just now I decided to take a look at it after hearing it make a weird noise. I thought it was a mancubus, turned out to be a cyberdemon

If you save the haste rune, you can actually jump through a secret area into that hallway before the cyberdemon despawns and see it for a split second.

I just noticed that if you listen carefully in the areas after the elevator that take you to the archives, you can hear him walking around a growling

This is a bit out there, but I don't know where else to post it:-

Did anyone catch the distinct sound of a vacuum cleaner at various points in the game? I can't help picturing a UAC janitor frantically trying to keep the place clean, and it could be a very subtle reference to Viscera Cleanup Detail. Or it could just be the sound of ventilation equipment or something, and the foley artists thought no one would notice.

I'll try to post a video if no one knows what the fuck I'm talking about. Though you can probably find the sound effect in the game files.