Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

DOOM easter eggs / references / injokes

DoomUK said:

This is a bit out there, but I don't know where else to post it:-

Did anyone catch the distinct sound of a vacuum cleaner at various points in the game? I can't help picturing a UAC janitor frantically trying to keep the place clean, and it could be a very subtle reference to Viscera Cleanup Detail. Or it could just be the sound of ventilation equipment or something, and the foley artists thought no one would notice.

I'll try to post a video if no one knows what the fuck I'm talking about. Though you can probably find the sound effect in the game files.

There was apparently a cleaning droid in the game at some point, and it can still be seen in the credits montage. No idea why it was removed, but maybe the sound is left over from that?

Jaxxoon R said:

There was apparently a cleaning droid in the game at some point, and it can still be seen in the credits montage. No idea why it was removed, but maybe the sound is left over from that?

Do you have a screenshot?

This is from the credits montage, I don't think they ever showed a screencap of the droid in action and it was only mentioned in passing in one of the pre-release articles. Shame too, this little guy looks like he'd have been pretty charming.

Jaxxoon R said:

http://i.imgur.com/Dr9LRAJ.jpg
This is from the credits montage, I don't think they ever showed a screencap of the droid in action and it was only mentioned in passing in one of the pre-release articles. Shame too, this little guy looks like he'd have been pretty charming.

Haha, I never noticed that, nice Star Wars reference too.

Cool. Though, are those dog food looking bowls on the ground supposed to be for the pinkies to eat out of?

Whoever made the victory animations is a fan of classic comedies. "Salute 2" is from The Three Amigos, and "Wave" is from Spaceballs.

I hope L'm not of the few that thought the back of the Cacodemon looked like a pair of fat ass butt cheeks. And he looked so good from the front, why is the back so ugly?

I'm guessing the name on the chainsaw 'Beavertooth' is a reference to the 'Eager Beaver' brand chainsaw the original was modeled upon.

In the "Environmental Resistance" category, the last upgrade is "Barrels O' Fun" which is a reference to a level in Doom II.

I don't think so, they're all over the place. Probably just ancient humans or something.

methy said:

It's the only one I remember having seen with that shield.

There is more then one.

methy said:

Could this be a reference to.. something?

-snip-

don't think so, a skeleton with a shield would be a pretty vague reference.

the mod swap sound effect for the accuracy fire mode for the gauss cannon is a throwback to Doom 3's plasma rifle reloading sound effect.