Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

DOOM easter eggs / references / injokes

Spocks_Beard said:

Martian Hero seems to be in just his udewear based on the carving. Now I haven't beaten 3 since the last decade, but I remember him clearly having pants during the battle.

I think the idea is it's stylized, like Greek artwork depicting warriors fighting naked with swords and shields - it's not meant to convey that he fought a Holy War against the Demons with his balls hanging out.

As I have thought before, we are playing as the Greatest Martian Warrior from Doom 3. If this carving is linked to Doom 3, maybe it was a battle travelling through ages and eons before "The Wretch" would give him his Praetor Suit.

It's possible the tomb in Doom 3 is empty, the way a soldier who was lost in war and presumed dead would have an empty casket burial. Another possibility is that, given we are talking about Hell here, he really died, and was reborn in Hell somehow. I think the former makes more sense than the latter, but that's just my opinion.

I have a feeling the "Wretch" was the Betrayer trying to atone for what he did.

Anyway, the Martians were not kidding about him being their greatest warrior. He makes the Marine in Doom 3 seem as deadly as a toddler.

Also, the Doom Marine is a Martian in green armor... that's just awesome.

Would make more sense for it to be the Doomguy from the first two/Doom64 since he stays in hell at the end of his story. Disregarding the expansion packs which is what Final Doom was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PkL1aBoC0E
After clicking this link, you will be directed to a video which shows off a very well-hidden easter egg in DOOM 2016. On the plasma rifle case are inscribed the letters BZ, which is undoubtedly a reference to the self-proclaimed number one Doom streamer on Twitch, BZPlasma.

The "Wretch" is actually the betrayer.
I still remember when I first played Doom 3 and got to the final level and seeing those tablets and that tomb it made me think we were seeing the tomb of the Original Doom Marine who fought for Mars I don't know when. This is just a reference but assuming that Martians carved what they saw, means it really happened there.

Didn't look like this was posted yet, but I'm sure others have noticed.

The beating Heart on the Altar you see in various maps in Hell in the new game is a direct nod to the same objects in the originals.

I once saw an easter egg in one of the puzzles. It is similar to a puzzle in Half Life where you use fans to cross a large gap in a ventilation shaft. A little far fetched but the corpse is wearing a familiar orange suit...

Interesting find. But by that logic it would mean the next Doom will be released in the year 3000.

On 13.4.2017 at 0:40 AM, Gez said:

Nah, 2100 should be sufficient.

Duh, you're right! But still veeeery far in the future.

An id Software dev has recently posted some details about a couple of easter eggs/references on Twitter. He's followed by the official Doom account and Tiago Sousa, so that rules out any japery.

Wow, this is great!!!

So the final arena is what remains of the original level? Makes sense, that's where the Doomguy got trapped.

If this is canon then that means the Mother Demon is still alive and only the first half of Doom 64 is canon.

Also, the level before Watch Your Step is called Blood Keep, which is also another name for Kadingir Sanctum. I wonder if there are any references to it?

He always could've also taken a U-turn after the Mother Demon to look for more demons, getting trapped during a subsequent visit to Kadingir.

Something about the name Kadingir Sanctum sounded familiar... Ka-Dingir-Ra is the Sumerian name for Babylon. It means "Gate of the God", Dingir is a star-shaped cuneiform that stands for god or star. In the Bible the city of Babylon is generally depicted as an evil, decadent power, there is the Whore of Babylon or the Tower of Babel as a symbol for human hybris.

Maybe I am interpreting too much, but IMO it fits well to have the Argent Tower as a new Tower of Babel, and Kadingir Sanctum is practically a gate to the hell realm.

On 5/1/2017 at 7:44 AM, Tetzlaff said:

Something about the name Kadingir Sanctum sounded familiar... Ka-Dingir-Ra is the Sumerian name for Babylon. It means "Gate of the God", Dingir is a star-shaped cuneiform that stands for god or star. In the Bible the city of Babylon is generally depicted as an evil, decadent power, there is the Whore of Babylon or the Tower of Babel as a symbol for human hybris.

Maybe I am interpreting too much, but IMO it fits well to have the Argent Tower as a new Tower of Babel, and Kadingir Sanctum is practically a gate to the hell realm.

You might actually be right on the nose with that interpretation. 

It certainly helps that the Argent Tower looks almost exactly like the Tower of Babel from the OG Doom intermission screen. 

On 2017-4-29 at 2:59 AM, DooM_RO said:

So the final arena is what remains of the original level?

No it is a homage.

I don't feel like sifting through this thread again to see if it was already posted, but did anyone else catch the D!ZONE reference? 

5 hours ago, Job said:

I don't feel like sifting through this thread again to see if it was already posted, but did anyone else catch the D!ZONE reference? 

No.

One of the silos (IIRC) was designed "ZONE D." I just reloaded the level and after spending more time than I should have, wasn't able to find it. There's a possibility it was in the Argent Energy Tower, but I didn't re-check that one yet. I knew that I should have taken a screenshot when I had the chance. A million Internet dollars to whoever can find it. 

Just now, Job said:

One of the silos (IIRC) was designed "ZONE D." I just reloaded the level and after spending more time than I should have, wasn't able to find it. There's a possibility it was in the Argent Energy Tower, but I didn't re-check that one yet. I knew that I should have taken a screenshot when I had the chance. A million Internet dollars to whoever can find it. 

I really doubt it. Seems like a big stretch.

I'd argue some of the stuff in here is as big of a stretch, or bigger. Could be legit.