Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

DOOM easter eggs / references / injokes

On 6/3/2017 at 9:10 AM, Averagewalrus23.9 said:

Guy on reddit claimed he found Gordon's last Easter egg. https://d4.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/6bri4j/new_ost_easter_egg/

I thought I found a half-ouch face in that same song once but I couldn't be sure if it was real or if my mind was just struggling to pull out patterns from the noise.

You can see some progressive blends I did of the actual ouch face over the suspicious part of the spectrum here:

http://eternity.mancubus.net/pics/ouch/

Unfortunately I lost the one that was just the spectrum.

IDK if this was mentioned, but I believe the Mancubus' death animation could be a small nod towards Doom 64's death animation, where the spine is left in view as the other parts break down.

On 6/27/2017 at 2:42 AM, Voros said:

IDK if this was mentioned, but I believe the Mancubus' death animation could be a small nod towards Doom 64's death animation, where the spine is left in view as the other parts break down.

Marty Stratton said something to that effect once though he didn't call out Doom 64 by name so it left it confusing as to which game specifically he was referring. It'd be cool to have pics of both side by side to compare.

On 5/13/2016 at 9:51 PM, Linguica said:

Early on, there is a door that appears to have been constructed by Vault-Tec from the Fallout series, I can't wait for crackpot theories about how the games are now officially in the same universe.

ntOIWo3.jpg

Although they seem to be from the same timeline but did the great war caused them to invade earth ? Makes no sense really. And how UAC is active while the world is destroyed by Nuclear Bombs ?

So putting Doom 2016 & Fallout in the same timeline may not work...

On 5/13/2016 at 0:54 AM, The Civ said:

I just want to know who's head is on a spike this time around, since Marty said there will definitely be one.

Whoever finds it first will be king.

COMMANDER KEEN!

11 minutes ago, DooM_RO said:

@Quasar

Looks kind of small and unimportant for something that births huge ass demons. Looks more like a fetus to me.

Perhaps, but here are the similarities:

* Four arms (the lower two are a bit hard to notice here but they are there and have hands, they're just held close to the body)

* Insectile abdomen

* Vaguely human-like skull structure with two eyes

* Tail-like projection at the bottom (here enlongated; in the "adult" specimen, it's covered with some metal which projects down a bit in the same location)

* Vent-like areas on the lowest segment of the abdomen.

* Posture clearly meant to suggest upright levitation.

* Similar jaw line with small lower mandible, an indentation just behind that, and then an area where the skull fans out.

the fetus has six arms though, so I'm not sure, but another thing, is that there are three dots on the back of its head/neck, where the horns could grow.

On 6/27/2017 at 1:42 AM, Voros said:

e7tK7aJ.png

Dgo9Aqh.png

The silhouette of the fetus thing definitely gives off a Mother Demon and I read something before that stated that the team worked hard making the silhouettes of various Doom things resemble their original design. I'm gonna go with yes. It's a Doom 64 homage.

@Piper Maru so, yes? Mancubus death anim is also Doom 64 homage?

Edited by Voros

On 10/8/2017 at 10:10 AM, Quasar said:

There's even a Doom 64 Snapmap based on the Absolution map that uses that model as the Motherdemon, or rather, it's referred to as the Embryo demon for the snapmap.

Can't tell if anyone has said it, but the Necropolis is a level in Quake 1.

1 hour ago, _42_ said:

Can't tell if anyone has said it, but the Necropolis is a level in Quake 1.

Nobody has mentioned it because that word is not specific to Quake enough to be a reference.

A Necropolis is a cemetery, typically a large one belonging to a city. It's almost too obvious a name for a Doom map. :P

Hey guys i found an interesting bug/easter egg in the Foundry. I made a post on reddit here with video: 

What do you guys think?? 

A late response to that video, there's a piece of gore somewhere on the level (maybe multiple ones?) where if you shoot it, the announcer says "Organ." and the BFG may be doing damage to that organ.

37 minutes ago, Couldn't not display Name said:

Didnt you guys know that the soundtrack 'Cyberdemon', when converted to a spectrum, the '666' and pentagrams can be seen.

Sorry i didnt not gave the picture

I for one knew, here's a pic since you didn't provide any.

3 hours ago, Agent6 said:

I for one knew, here's a pic since you didn't provide any.

Thanks, but i found a better picture, here:images.jpg.38b23e4f7d1c62402ece8ff96e90f894.jpg

your picture has the pentagrams seen clearily but not the 666.

Mine can see both, but not too clear for the pentagrams.

Anyways thanks for the resources :)

If only Hell in DOOM4 was half as evil as all those easter eggs...

How about this one? A pile of skulls and candles from DOOM II vs Hell automap from DOOM4.

jY8WbLul.jpg

Edited by Touchdown

11 minutes ago, Touchdown said:

If only Hell in DOOM4 was half as evil as all those easter eggs...

How about this one? A pile of skulls and bones from DOOM II vs Hell automap from DOOM4.

Agreed, I would've loved a darker and more evil take on Hell as well, but since they didn't want the player to be afraid at all we ended with something a bit underwhelming in terms of atmosphere and design.

It's been almost two years since DOOM4 came out and I haven't seen ANYONE mention it (well, I did in Antroid's DOOM4 stream a couple months ago) so I might as well bring this up.

So, in DOOM4 Doomguy reloads the double barrel shotgun much like in DOOM2: both shells at once. But as some of you might have noticed during your journeys, there's an alternative reload animation that triggers somewhat at random where Doomguy actually reloads each shell individually. From what I've been able to test, the trick to get this animation is to INTERRUPT the regualar reloading. So for instance, if you fire the double barrel shotgun, then wait for the reload animation to kick in and then throw a frag grenade, that counts as an interruption and (provided you don't switch to a different weapon which would cancel the reloading altogether) the game will play the longer animation.

Another way to interrupt it is to get the 'Impact Compesnation' landing but it's tricky to get the timing right.

Pretty cool I think, I wonder what's the story behind it. Maybe it's a leftover from some earlier incarnations but then they decided to speed it up.

Don't know if this was mentioned before, but you can unlock Doomguy as a character on the PC version of THPS3. He's unlocked when you use the cheat code "IDKFA" (in the menu obviously).