Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

Initial Impression: i feel a little mislead.

I was highly expecting a the PC version to be a crappy port, and I had some worries about how the game was going to look/feel/sound/play. I was especially concerned after hearing about the review copy delay conspiracy.

Oh my... was I wrong.

Game runs like butter at ultra settings (including antialiasing) in 4k, SLI works beautifully, smooth and fast as could be. Everything looks and feels drop dead gorgeous. Gone are the DOOM 3 claustrophobic corridors, and back are the massive complexes, halls, arenas and wide open outdoor landscape of DOOM/DOOM 2. The creepy demonic gore elements are there from DOOM 3 and DOOM 64 (but all in background ambience and environment), as the gameplay and pace are pure classic DOOM style, as well as enemies and combat. The interfaces feel DOOM 3, and some of the base interior design, but no longer pitch black and small. Things are colorful, juicy... just as they were in the classics. The audio, ambience & metal riffs are exactly as they should be.

Seems as if they took all the very best elements that made each DOOM memorable and blended them together, along with some rather fantastic elements from a few other combat games and fps's, as well as some rather well known DOOM mods. And damn... is it seamless! perfect, perfect, perfect!

The game is light-years beyond my expectations, and it's so far the best game id software has released since the original DOOM games, and a true successor and sequel to them (step aside DOOM 3). The new id team really went the extra mile and put in some serious dedication into this, and it defitnley shows.

I'd keep ranting on, but I've got to get back to it.... still can't believe how awesome it turned out =D

Can't wait to read more initial impressions!

I know it sounds cheesy, but to me, this is a true progression in FPS games. It is another step forward, and something I have never played in this way.

Plus, it has a level of polish I have seldom seen in AAA titles in the last years, and I not only mean the perfect engine optimization and very small amount of bugs I encountered, but also the polish to ALL the aspects and mechanics.

And I haven't even started to fiddle around with SnapMap.

id and Bethesda, you TRULY delivered! I tip my hat!

I don't mind Call of Duty and the like but I think it's time to put the tacticool manshooter to bed, yeah? I'm hoping, though I'm not sure it'll happen, that Doom will be at the forefront of a new era in FPS, finally making the retromodern FPS a more popular genre now that games like Shadow Warrior, Rise of the Triad and Wolfenstein TNO have laid the groundwork.

So far the game is turning out great. I just got to the foundry and it's been a blast.

dethtoll said:

I don't mind Call of Duty and the like but I think it's time to put the tacticool manshooter to bed, yeah? I'm hoping, though I'm not sure it'll happen, that Doom will be at the forefront of a new era in FPS, finally making the retromodern FPS a more popular genre now that games like Shadow Warrior, Rise of the Triad and Wolfenstein TNO have laid the groundwork.

That would be a bit of a dejá vu if that were to happen - classic Doom popularized the FPS, while Wolfenstein 3-D laid the ground work.

Hypothetical situation: New Doom kickstarts new era of the FPS for which Wolfenstein TNO (and those other retro shooters) laid the ground work.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

I've got a question to those who have the game: In-game first-person cutscenes, like the ones you get when you pick up a new weapon, are they skippable or are you forced to watch them every time?

Thanks in advance

You know what I love with the new Doom? And now hear his, as someone who doubted the "arena after arena".

You enter a room, and you already see it's an arena. You stop for a second, take a deep breath, and jump in, saying to yourself "and of we goooo" (at least I feel that way).

I truly is like a skatepark with a supershotgun!

I am having so much fun :)

That Cyberdemon fight was so much fun!

Spoiler

...and that second Cyberdemon/Balgaar fight...damn, that took me by surprise. First time I spammed the BFG ingame

Ya I'm really loving the single player so far, checked out snap map and am a bit underwhelmed but story mode is soooo fucking good.

Holy cow...just finished the game.

Damn, what a satisfying expierence! So much memorable stuff! Great Boss battles (learned quite some tricks, especially the Spider Mastermind...

I cannot overstate how happy I am with what id and Bethesda produced here, and I really hope this kickstarts further Doom games along the road.

So...what to do next...SnapMap or 100% run on Ultra-Violence? Damn...guess the later, I want more!!!

CheeseOnTheMoon said:

I was a fool and ordered from amazon. I haven't checked yet today, but I'm assuming it still says that I won't be able to play for another week.

Yup same here, it would have been great to play over the weekend, but oh well. It'll be here sometime next week probably.

dsm said:

Hypothetical situation: New Doom kickstarts new era of the FPS for which Wolfenstein TNO (and those other retro shooters) laid the ground work.

I propose that from now on, for a couple of years we call every FPS a 'Doom Clone'