Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roofi

I can't hear the sfx on Chocolate Doom

Hello !

I want to play Doom with Chocolate Doom so I installed it and configured my settings but I can only hear the music. I tried to stop the music , I also tried different settings with the sound but nothing.

I checked "default.cfg" , the value of snd_musicdevice and snd_sfxdevice is 3 , so it means that Music and SFX are on. Why the SFX are not playing?

No , I mounted the volume to the max , it doesn't work. I always have the same problem.e

Then i dunno. How many sound channels you have set in options, by the way? Should be 8.

What if you change the music device to OPL? It is possibly the Windows Vista/7/8/10 issue with midi and sdl_mixer. Try running with the OPL music OR try running with -nomusic on launch to see if it fixes your issue.

I tried. Unfortunately , it doesn't work.

Can you use pastebin.com (or similar) to upload copies of your default.cfg and chocolate-doom.cfg files.

Please check stdout.txt and stderr.txt to see if there's anything relevant there too.

stderr.txt says:

Error initialising SDL_mixer: DirectSoundCreate: Mixing buffer was lost

That doesn't sound too good...
What kind of sound hardware are you using?

I play with headphones.

I'm using : - Realtek High Definition Audio
- Razer Surround Audio controller
- Razer Kraken 7.1

All my ports are up to date.

Just of out curiosity , I tried to play on Chocolate Doom with the headphones of my cellphone (I don't have speaker). The music and SFX played normally.

I conclude that my Razer headset is the cause of my problem but I don't know why.

I meant drivers, not source ports.

I suggest you check the Razer website and see if there are any updates you can install. Not sure what else to suggest at this stage.

If you do find a solution please do come back and say how you fixed it.

The Razer Kraken 7.1 is not simply a passive pair of heaphones -it essentially contains a complete USB sound card that works independently of your "real" onboard soundcard (the Realtek), and it also requires its own drivers to function. And said drivers don't seem to play very nice with SDL.

That's why you get sound with a regular pair of headphones plugged directly into your computer, but not through your fancy Razer Kraken. Your only chance now is an update from the manufacturer aimed at fixing this specific problem.

If driver updates don't help, I'm curious if the SDL2 version of Chocolate Doom might. I find it doubtful, but it'll be interesting if it does.

Does anyone know if there are active builds of SDL2 for Windows?