Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

The Monster Comparison Thread (tm)

So since the new doom is out, how do the demons compare to their old counterparts? (In terms of behavior, attacks, sound, and design [side by side comparisons would be greatly appreciated!])

it's very different, I feel now thinking about it in relevence to old doom it was silly of me to think that this was just a big hd upgraded, make no mistake this is definetly a new game. enemies are Different by quite a bit now. Imps are fast and agile, but with less health and firepower then solders. The solders are a little beefy and can do some damage. the shotgun guy is less instant big damage and more tanky/turtley. barons of hell rush the shit out of you and are really a new monster all together. revinents are far les dangerose then their older counterpart, that's as far as I got. the summoner is a wierd dashy high hp enemy and if what some say are true then the archville as we knew it in almost any form is extinct.(edit)I'v gotten way farther, pinkies have move alot farther up the food chain, takeing more presidence then revs even, quite dangerous. The summoner isn't like the arch ville almost at all, they can mess you up but I find them easy to dodge. Barons of hell are top priority, no longer something you just dance around like in the first game, seems to be the biggest threat out of the normal monsters. lost souls are just kinda filler.

DooM_RO said:

Those shotgun guys with shields are a major PITA in the beginning of the game.

He opens up when he charges a shot, and you can circle strafe him fairly easily.

My list of PITA enemies:

1) Pinky
2) Shotgun Guy
3) Cacodemon

my reasoning:

1) FUCK THAT THING!!!!
2) I often happen to get my timing wrong when I lure him into the shield bash, so I can unload on him. Thus I tend to waste rockets/grenades on him
3) My mind is still used to the old Caco...this one hunts you down, and shoots so extremely fast, that I truly had some trouble with them

My favourites so far are both Baron and Hellknight, I tend to fight them with the Supershotgun, if Ammo is sufficient, and it is a wonderfull dance between getting away from them, and then getting in for a quick SSG fix...unless you back away into a Pinky or Caco or Imp...then, life get's complicated

Revenants - to be honest - to me is some kind of medium-hard filler-enemy. But I still like to fight them, but they don't scare the shit out of me.

Mancubus in both versions is also fun to fight, especially since he lures me into staying in one place an unloading into his face or stomach, and sometimes too long, because I get rushed...it's a "don't get greedy" enemy. I also love to fight them with the SSG (unless the normal Mancubus starts his Flamethrower)

Arch Vile/Summoner is fun. I thought the teleporting arround would be much more unfair, but it is a fun fight.

Imps are great. They do exactly what they have to do. (BTW: do they become weaker over time regarding how much damage they can take? I know there are different versions...)

Hell Raisers: a very nice addition to it all. Ignore them, and they can be a great pain in the ass, if you walk into their beam weapon.

Possed guy who shoots: also nice enemy, fitting

Unarmed zombie stuff: nice for the first missions, but they bored me in the later half of the game, to the point, that I even wastes ammunition on them, because shooting the pistol is not that much fun to me.

Spoiler

Cyberdemon:
Awesome fight. At first I thought "okay, simply circle strafe him", which worked quite well for the first half of the fight. After I got him to about 1/3 of health I thought "what the heck, finish him off with the BFG". Did so.

Balgaar:
What a surprise :) Nearly killed me, I was down to 10 HP when I downed him. I loved the fight, even the "cheap" move where he puts you into that corridor and unloads his scythe-waves. It was a tense battle, and I can't remember the second phase very well, because I was down on health quite soon, no more BFG rounds left, and got into panic mode. Have to fight him again.

Talisman Guards:
Died couple of times because I couldn't get the timing right to dodge the ball-attack. Also took me some time to find the best weapon to use.

In typical Soulsborne-fashion, as I learned his moves, I managed to get through phase one with nearly no damage. Phase 2 then I thought was much easier, because you can stunlock one of them with the right weapon.

Spider Mastermind:
Died on my first attempt (when she pokes out the spikes on the stones). Was awed by all the moves she has, especially the one where I finally understood the flag in the game files that reads "isUpsideDown". Stopped there, to catch some breath, get some sleep, talk to people.
Went back just to try some stuff out regarding graphic settings, and basically thought "what the hell, let's fight", and managed to beat her on second try after I found out how to stunlock her and get health and ammo from her, plus that there are BFG rounds around. Awesome fight, especially when she gets more and more damaged.

All of that on "Hurt me plenty", so far from anything hard, but still pleased with what I experienced.

Currently playing on "Ultra-Violence", but skipping between exploration of maps I completed (but not 100%), Multiplayer (fun!) and SnapMap (FUN!). There is so much to do, that I am actually overwhelmed.

id.dav said:

So does summoner actually SUMMON anything?

Imps. Haven't seen anything else.

tuo said:

I think it should be able to summon mostly anything that the classic arch-vile would have been able to revive (that way it sort of gives similar functionality to the classic one).

id.dav said:

So does summoner actually SUMMON anything?

I just had a summoner summon a summoner who summoned a summoner (playing on Nightmare), I didn't live long enough to see if they eventually summoned something else (I got hit with 3 of their wave things at the same goddamn time)

sneakyness said:

I just had a summoner summon a summoner who summoned a summoner (playing on Nightmare), I didn't live long enough to see if they eventually summoned something else (I got hit with 3 of their wave things at the same goddamn time)

For some reason, that reminds me of the Pacman type enemy on Diamond Caves that explodes into some predetermined set of things. There's one in maybe the final level of the first episode where the level's literally just one but there's a chain reaction that causes it to spit out other ones.

BluePineapple72 said:

Wow, the pinky is significantly harder to kill now

Shoot the Pinky in the back, it is considerably weaker there. I have only been playing on Medium though so I'm not sure if they get a health boost on higher difficulty. You need to let it charge into a wall and then you pump a few combat shotty rounds in its back and it will die quickly.

Most of the returning enemies seem to be beefed up versions of their D3 selves.

The zombies have been altered completely; now called the Possessed, they're heavily mutated, and there's a lot more unarmed ones. A few of them explode.

Your traditional zombie soldier carries with him a plasma rifle of sorts (it seems to be a common weapon this time around, as opposed to a top-tier one like in Classic Doom.) Another variety carries a shotgun and a shield; huge pain in the ass. There's also the Hell Razer which seems to be a further mutation from the Possessed Soldiers.

The revenant seems to have been almost completely unchanged from D3, though his rockets don't home as well as they did in D3.

The imp looks like an XCOM 2 sectoid on meth, and in addition to tossing fireballs (which it now seems able to do on the run) it can do a Street Fighter-style chargeup.

The mancubi come in a number of varieties, each with unique attacks in addition to pumping fireballs at you.

The pinky resembles his classic self but operates more in the D3 style; however he's a lot tougher this time around with an armored front. You gotta get behind him. He seems to operate on brute force and charging. There's also a spectre variant that, like its classic counterpart, is identical to its visible brethren.

Lost souls are back, and they operate much the same way as they did in Classic, only now they explode when they hit you.

The hell knight looks a lot like his D3 counterpart but is way more agile, being able to jump and pound the ground (you don't wanna be in range of that.) He seems to be weaker, though, and more plentiful. But his buddy the baron is back, showing up in the late stages of the game. Way tougher, way bigger, way angrier, but otherwise identical to fight.

The summoner seems to fill the role of the D3 arch-vile, and I honestly don't know why they changed her name. She's much more agile, however, flying and teleporting around. She's not a huge threat on HMP, but as others have noted she should be a priority target on higher difficulties.

[quote="dethtoll" post="1610014"]
Yeah, the summoner pretty much eats my face off. I'm not sure if it's supposed to happen or not, but her shots go through any obstacles also. No cover from her for me :/ I've been using plasma to stun her and finish her off with SS.

I fucking LOVE the barons in this game holy shit. I just finished the Hell field trip and wow. The Cacodemons' behavior is nothing like it used to be and you gon' respect them barons lol.

Really loving this iteration of Doom.

tuo said:

So far I've seen her spawn random things, once three hell knights and then she went around plopping imps down, unless I'm mistaken. Shit got out of hand quickly. I'm hoping she's capable of spawning everything but generally I'm moving around so much I don't have time to watch.

Pinkies are a fucking pain in the ass. Outside boss battles, these things and spectres kill me like 90% of the time. They fucking turn when charging and in narrow spaces you cant even jump over them.

Summoners ain't too bad. Just rocket launcher them to death. I find the 3 missile burst makes them a moot point.

Pinkies are seriously bullshit. The biggest problem with them in the bigger battles near the end of the game, are how goddamn many of them there where. I mean 2 or 3 isn't a big deal, 5 or 6? All getting you into a corner?

I'm not ashamed to admit I BFGed the living shit out of them.

Otherwise just wait for them to charge and shoot them in the back with your supershotty. OR stun them with the plasma rifle and take them out. OR air burst your rocket launcher. Whatever gets them stationary and allows you to hit them in that juicy back area.

Honerable mention goes to cacodemons. Fucking floating tanks, and during the massive final battles they can fuck your world up, simply by obscuring your view and not letting you see those two barons of hell right behind 'em.

I just finished ultra violence right now, but Nightmare will probably add in new irritations lol.

MetroidJunkie said:

For some reason, that reminds me of the Pacman type enemy on Diamond Caves that explodes into some predetermined set of things. There's one in maybe the final level of the first episode where the level's literally just one but there's a chain reaction that causes it to spit out other ones.

Yo dog, I heard you like Summoners...

Ironhound said:

Summoners ain't too bad. Just rocket launcher them to death. I find the 3 missile burst makes them a moot point.

Pinkies are seriously bullshit. The biggest problem with them in the bigger battles near the end of the game, are how goddamn many of them there where. I mean 2 or 3 isn't a big deal, 5 or 6? All getting you into a corner?

I'm not ashamed to admit I BFGed the living shit out of them.

Otherwise just wait for them to charge and shoot them in the back with your supershotty. OR stun them with the plasma rifle and take them out. OR air burst your rocket launcher. Whatever gets them stationary and allows you to hit them in that juicy back area.

Honerable mention goes to cacodemons. Fucking floating tanks, and during the massive final battles they can fuck your world up, simply by obscuring your view and not letting you see those two barons of hell right behind 'em.

I just finished ultra violence right now, but Nightmare will probably add in new irritations lol.

They were normally in packs of meatshields in the classic games but they take that to a new level.