Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MajorRawne

Can you play it?

I just got my copy of Doom, and due to lack of foresight I couldn't be arsed to check if my computer will run it. I fall well short of the minimum specs and the recommended MINIMUM graphics card and processor are £400 between them (for a £30 game).

I'm running a GeForce GTX 460 SE with AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Processor (3.3ghz hectacore, is that a word??) and 8GB of RAM. My system is totally standard.

Can anyone give me any advice about overclocking what I've got and seeing if that lets me play the game? I was told by someone that I could get between 3.5 and 4.0 GHz out of this processor?

Does overclocking the existing RAM make any difference?

I still have a GTX 660 and the game is playable but only barely. It looks like a GTX 460 SE is maybe half as fast as mine, so I think you're gonna have a bad time.

You could be right.

Assuming that image displays properly, it doesn't bode well for the actual gameplay. Picture taken on a HTC One Max, the absolute most abominable bullshit camera invented by man or beast.

EDIT: No it won't. Fuck it anyway, it says there are approximately 7 hours to install it.

MajorRawne said:

I just got my copy of Doom, and due to lack of foresight I couldn't be arsed to check if my computer will run it. I fall well short of the minimum specs and the recommended MINIMUM graphics card and processor are £400 between them (for a £30 game).

I'm running a GeForce GTX 460 SE with AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Processor (3.3ghz hectacore, is that a word??) and 8GB of RAM. My system is totally standard.

Can anyone give me any advice about overclocking what I've got and seeing if that lets me play the game? I was told by someone that I could get between 3.5 and 4.0 GHz out of this processor?

Does overclocking the existing RAM make any difference?

GTX 460 SE is way below min spec. Time for a new GPU. Buy a GTX 960 or better, make sure to get one with 4GB of RAM.

You could always get a console. Xbox Ones are around $200 used. It doesn't look that much different on them from what I can tell.

gamul312 said:

You could always get a console. Xbox Ones are around $200 used. It doesn't look that much different on them from what I can tell.

Nah, he already has a really good system outside of the GPU. A $200 GPU upgrade would be better, especially since he already has the $60 game.

I've seen an NVidia GTX 960 4GB DDR5 going on Amazon.co.uk for around £180 brand new. Link here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-GeForce-Graphics-Express-Display/dp/B00UJLDVJC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1463167694&sr=8-3&keywords=gtx960

(I still can't get text urls working on this forum!)

If I can find a 4GB gpu for around $200, which would be around £120-140, is this actually gonna run Doom? What about my processor supposedly not being good enough?

MajorRawne said:

I've seen an NVidia GTX 960 4GB DDR5 going on Amazon.co.uk for around £180 brand new. Link here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nvidia-GeForce-Graphics-Express-Display/dp/B00UJLDVJC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1463167694&sr=8-3&keywords=gtx960

(I still can't get text urls working on this forum!)

If I can find a 4GB gpu for around $200, which would be around £120-140, is this actually gonna run Doom? What about my processor supposedly not being good enough?

Your processor is just fine. All you need is a GTX 960 or better and you should be able to enjoy the game.

In assuming overclocking my current motherboard, graphics card, ram or whatever won't make any difference?

Guest MIND

I have a GTX 780. I think I can run it pretty well. I built my PC 2 years ago.

For what it's worth, I meet the recommended spec for GPU, a GTX 970, and it runs really smooth, like 90+ frames smooth. A 960 will likely be great as well. Keep in mind that when the Vulkan architecture rolls out for this game, it'll boost performance for newer GPUs. Supposedly.

I'll be getting it for XB1 since my GTX 760 cannot run new games too well. It will be a few years until I'm able to upgrade my hardware components.

MajorRawne said:

In assuming overclocking my current motherboard, graphics card, ram or whatever won't make any difference?

Nope, your GPU is just too slow to run this game properly. The rest of your system is strong though.

GTX 960 should run the game well, although if you can splurge I would get the GTX 970 because it will just last you longer.

If you can wait until June 10, then I would recommend buying a GTX 1070, which should be way faster than the 970 for not much more (unless you can score a nice deal on the GTX 970, I'm thinking the equivalent of maybe $250 USD).

2600k @ 4.8ghz, 16gb ram, Fury - 1440p Ultra everything w/ 8x TSSAA and it's north of 100fps most of the time

Lowest I've seen is 55 or so when they lay the effects on thick in SP.

The presence of monsters in these scenes doesn't seem to effect the framerate, so I definitely believe what some have been saying wrt OpenGL perf being CPU bound

When I'm streaming, I set the resolution scaling down to 75% (which is 1080p if you're running at 1440p) to eliminate a bit of stutter. Tiago recently recommended using res scaling to drop down to 1440 or 1080 if you're playing at 4k, as a lot of those pixels are "going to waste"

Looking forward to seeing what the Vulkan perf is like, it seems to favor AMD heavily

i5-2500 3.30GHz 8GM RAM
GeForce GTX 650 Ti 4GM

Running at 720pp on low settings. Only had two or three areas that stuttered in 10 hours of play, otherwise plays smoothly. Some visble texture loading at the start of each map.

Netherstorm said:

I'll be getting it for XB1 since my GTX 760 cannot run new games too well. It will be a few years until I'm able to upgrade my hardware components.

GTX 760 actually meets min spec for this game, just FYI.

just beat it on uv with my gtx 770. Performance was up and down, sometimes 60+fps sometimes 30, just depended on the environment. Changing settings didn't seem to help the slow parts, so I left everything mostly ultra.

For perspective future buyers/players. I have a computer I built 4 years ago. So when I heard the new Doom 2016 was coming out, I checked the specs to see if I could play it without buying new equipment.

My PC has a AMD A10 6800K black edition rated at 4.1ghz. Nvidia GTX 650TI with boost 2gb Ram. 8gb system Ram. 120gb SSD Hard drive. Corsair liquid cooler and 500 watt power supply. I used the ASUS mother board overclocking program to overclock my video card and CPU. My CPU is running at 4.8ghz with a temp of 49 degrees Celsius. USE A Liquid cooler if you overclock, it is the safest way to control temps!!! PERIOD!!!

Results: I am playing Doom at between 27-36 FPS with some medium to high settings the system had selected for me automatically. The game runs flawless, and seems as smooth as my eyes can see.

I am providing this as a base for others to use to help them identify if they can play Doom on their old computer. I think it's garbage that the creators or developers of Doom insist that you should have some crazy PC setup to play the game. Remember, I am running a 4 YEAR OLD COMPUTER, so test your system out before you go buy new stuff. Benchmarks are crap too, my computer scored 5,000, to 8,000 points less on 3dmark and Passmark benchmark tests, and it had no impact on me playing the game, not to mention I almost bought a new computer because they said I didn't meet the requirements, total BS.

OK, I want to brag a bit because, the minimum specs listed on the box for Doom are a lot higher than what I have according to their standards and my computer does a fine job of handling business when it comes to running this game.

Anyways, hope this helps some of you to get a baseline or starting point, good luck and for the record, I love the new Doom!

Mobtus said:

just beat it on uv with my gtx 770. Performance was up and down, sometimes 60+fps sometimes 30, just depended on the environment. Changing settings didn't seem to help the slow parts, so I left everything mostly ultra.

Same here. Settings are set to ultra. I can't wait to get the new 1070 in my hands...

Okay guys, I managed to run DOOM nicely on my ancient system. First, here are the specs:

Intel Quadcore Q9550 OC'ed to 3.11Ghz (Asus mb, couldn't get further)
Geforce GTX 750 Ti 2GB OC'ed with MSI Afterburner as far I could take it
WD 1TB HDD Sata2
Disabled most Microsoft spying trash with Spybot Anti Beacon
Disabled services I don't need while gaming
Minimalised AERO
Newest Nvida driver; triple buffering on, maximum performance in power, single display acceleration, texture quality on performance.

DOOM runs on 1920x1080 between 15 - 30 frames, on 1366x720 it runs between 40 - 60 frames. In Advanced option everything is set on medium or high. I can play it nice, but am starting to save for a new rig.

The thing I encountered by testing and tweaking is when I had it smooth on 1366x720, I put everything on ultra. It resulted in very smooth movement for a while and then fps drops to 1 frames per second for couple of seconds and then went smooth again. That means a bottleneck, probably from HDD of Windows shit like constantly update checking. So it runs good until memory is full and has to be renewed, which the engine does streaming in the background. If your PC is fast enough, you won't notice.

I really find it interesting that DOOM can run smooth way below the recommended specs. It got me thinking, could it be that this engine is still Idtech5, but the dynamic lightning system is a virtual machine on top of that, and acts as a layer between? Hence the large 8GB memory requirement.

Virtual Textures hmm.. Texture streaming..

I should get more RAM, upgrade it to 16GB and test this case again. The slowdowns should still be there but with more time inbetween.

Netherstorm said:

FYI, GTX 760 should run Doom fine. It's equivalent to a GTX 670.

Using a 560ti 2gb and had good results, 1366x720 and it runs between 50 upto 70 fps. Was bricking it when I was downloading thinking I wouldn't be able to play, however was nicely surprised.

My settings are a mix of high and mid (for effects) with shadows set to low. to be honest I could get away with having everything on high probably and not suffer at all.

One very happy doomer!

Hey guys I have a question. Couldn't make a new thread as a new joiner for 24 hours so I thought of posting it here and try my luck.

I bought doom on steam and saw it is a 43.8gb download. My Internet is a limited connection with a monthly cap of 40gb....after which it becomes PAINFULLY slow. Now as much as I want to play it's preventing me too:( but I searched and found a torrent of size 23.5gb. It's a packed game. Before people jump on me about it, doom uses denuvo so people can't pirate. Now I wanted to ask can I download those files unpack it and put the folders in my steam common folder? Please help

As the game is already comprised of lossy texture data, that 23GB is outright lies and is likely someone just wanting you to become part of their bitcoin mining farm. It's not going to get any smaller than what Steam already compressed it to (It's actually 51GB, that 43.8GB is compressed).

Ah I c. Sorry I don't know much:/don't pirate games and I play very selective few. Hmm if it is as u said then I'll somehow try download the game from steam itself.

Iamagamer said:

Hey guys I have a question. Couldn't make a new thread as a new joiner for 24 hours so I thought of posting it here and try my luck.

I bought doom on steam and saw it is a 43.8gb download. My Internet is a limited connection with a monthly cap of 40gb....after which it becomes PAINFULLY slow. Now as much as I want to play it's preventing me too:( but I searched and found a torrent of size 23.5gb. It's a packed game. Before people jump on me about it, doom uses denuvo so people can't pirate. Now I wanted to ask can I download those files unpack it and put the folders in my steam common folder? Please help

Personally I'll stay clear of that, just bite the bullet and wait tilling downloads even if it takes a week!

Steam does allow and account for copying game data, however, either as a backup or just dumping files into the steamapps folder. You can copy the install off a friend directly from their own folder, drop it in place of yours, resume the download and Steam will validate the existing files it finds.

Ok liberation.... I'll avoid then... Funny thing is its actually gonna take me a week to download lol.... Am cry (T T) oh well I've been on a desperate hunt for a great fps game for sometime

I see Edward.... Well none of my friends are getting it:( (PC gaming not that popular in my country) then again I got it only for the great sp experience! I'll just try download it somehow... 1 week dang