Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Caine

it is NOT Old School?! did you all forget?

rileymartin said:

Glory kills remind them of Brutal Doom, which is the worst thing to happen to the Doom community. /s

Seriously ?

Mechazawa said:

It is like if I said most custom wads suck; I am not wrong about that; the vast majority are garbage. The same phenomena holds true for games in general.

Boy I oughtta

rileymartin said:

Glory kills remind them of Brutal Doom, which is the worst thing to happen to the Doom community. /s

What's wrong with brutal doom?

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Seriously ?

Yes, the /s at the end of the post was to indicate that I'm 100% serious.

Mechazawa said:

You underestimate just how many bad games there are out there. Only a small minority of them are played by a significant group of people; much less at the same time being good games. It is like if I said most custom wads suck; I am not wrong about that; the vast majority are garbage. The same phenomena holds true for games in general.

Guess what, sugar cookie: there were more than enough bad games in the 80s and 90s -- in fact, I'd argue that for every amazing or even good game, there was at least one shit game. You don't get to pretend that it was some kind of magical time where every game sucked your dick. Grow up or get funny.

HellVain said:

What's wrong with brutal doom?

It attracted a fair bit of undesirables to Doom. Namely "Generation Z" kids. And people who need Brutal Doom to enjoy the game. But that's just my opinion. I do have issues with younger people today, so I might be biased admittedly.

CyberDemonEmpress said:

It attracted a fair bit of undesirables to Doom. Namely "Generation Z" kids. And people who need Brutal Doom to enjoy the game. But that's just my opinion. I do have issues with younger people today, so I might be biased admittedly.

Undesirable to whom? Does it really matter to you if a kid plays doom and decides it's fun?

Don't get me wrong, I care much for brutal doom either...but seriously? Out of all the reasons to hate brutal doom, you hate it because "kidz r bad lololol" ?

CheeseOnTheMoon said:

Undesirable to whom? Does it really matter to you if a kid plays doom and decides it's fun?

Don't get me wrong, I care much for brutal doom either...but seriously? Out of all the reasons to hate brutal doom, you hate it because "kidz r bad lololol" ?

Well... I honestly don't mind if a kid plays Doom. I don't really interact with them, but it's fine I do however think the kids who hate Doom but love and need Brutal Doom are bad for the Doom community in the long run.

Welp, this thread will eventually go In Post Hell due to ranting about Brutal DOOM.

:^)

CyberDemonEmpress said:

Well... I honestly don't mind if a kid plays Doom. I don't really interact with them, but it's fine I do however think the kids who hate Doom but love and need Brutal Doom are bad for the Doom community in the long run.

Oh, I misunderstood your post. Sorry for the rant!

It's not Brutal Doom, I still have issues with glory kills, sometimes they are cool as an idea, sometimes they disorient me. In the same way I am disoriented when there is a random "realistic" animation, like when the first time you get new weapons, the hero is looking at it like an idiot, with blurry background. Or when you fall from heights and shows this fall compensation animation, yeah maybe it's realistic, but at some occasion monsters already fired fireballs at me while I fell on my knees and even if you can't hit when these animations show, maybe a monster threw fireballs already at you and you are disoriented for two seconds, waiting the camera to arrive to gameplay mode and instantly react. Many times I struggle for a glorykill, watch the animation and try to instantly react, because right there enemies where jumping or throwing stuff at me, and exactly when I regain control and become vulnernable I took hits, so I end up with less health than before.

And the movement speed, I realized this again when playing the classic levels and comparing on the same spaces with old Doom. Compared to how unfairly enemies are hitting you being faster while you are slower, it's kinda annoying. Yet I finished the game and enjoyed it and try to find all secrets and maybe play it in Ultra Violence or Nightmare, try Snap Map, but yesterday I went back playing oldschool Doom (and also Brutal Doom, yes,. it's really that good, closer to classic Doom than Doom 4 to classic Doom) and I missed that feeling.

So yeah, I do consider Doom 4 a good game but a game I will forget for a while and continue playing classic WADs on old Doom. I am even skeptical of Snapmap with it's prefab puzzle pieces at least from what I saw in the videos. If you could somehow design more detailed prefabs line by line on a PC and transfered that in consoles (because this was done like this because of consoles). Like a mix of Doombuilder and Snapmap.

You're trying to think you're smarter and more wiser then everyone here, to be completely honest. We're all old timers (sometimes not) here but at the very least we find something good In the game and accept what's come to us while you sit here complaining that "OH THIS ISN'T OLD SCHOOL, THERE'S NEW STUFF THAT ISN'T DOOM BLAH BLAH BLAH", what you don't understand Is that this Is a reboot

You know what that means? It's gonna try new things, this DOOM Is different from the classics, while keeping the mechanics In It. It's trying to attract new comers to DOOM and trying to add new stuff In to do said thing. If you're gonna keep on complaining about the game and how It's not a "classic FPS", then why be In this part of the forums? Go to the DOOM General or any part of the forums If you're just gonna sit here and trash our opinions because we all see DOOM differently.

But I suppose you see DOOM differently too, so I don't see the point of my own post just as I don't see the point of your own posts.

Tritnew said:

You're trying to think you're smarter and more wiser then everyone here, to be completely honest. We're all old timers (sometimes not) here but at the very least we find something good In the game and accept what's come to us while you sit here complaining that "OH THIS ISN'T OLD SCHOOL, THERE'S NEW STUFF THAT ISN'T DOOM BLAH BLAH BLAH", what you don't understand Is that this Is a reboot

You know what that means? It's gonna try new things, this DOOM Is different from the classics, while keeping the mechanics In It. It's trying to attract new comers to DOOM and trying to add new stuff In to do said thing. If you're gonna keep on complaining about the game and how It's not a "classic FPS", then why be In this part of the forums? Go to the DOOM General or any part of the forums If you're just gonna sit here and trash our opinions because we all see DOOM differently.

But I suppose you see DOOM differently too, so I don't see the point of my own post just as I don't see the point of your own posts.

Just move on, there are some people who just cannot be reasoned with.

rileymartin said:

Yes, the /s at the end of the post was to indicate that I'm 100% serious.

And why is Brutal Doom the worst thing that happened to Doomworld community ?

It's like the shot-for-shot Psycho remake versus Hammer's Dracula, one has its own merits and brings something new to the table, and the other one is entirely redundant. In both cases, the original is the most iconic and well-remembered, but only one of these remakes will stand on its own.

CheeseOnTheMoon said:

Just move on, there are some people who just cannot be reasoned with.

Was going to put that In the post. But yeah, I'm done here, hopefully the thread will die out.

Tritnew said:

Was going to put that In the post. But yeah, I'm done here, hopefully the thread will die out.

why should it die out? cause some dont share your opinion?
that's what i meant that people like you just dont want to respect other opinions and try to sound like THEY are THE RIGHT opinion and other shall shut up. i dont talk about you in my previous post so please move on, if you write again you prove my point ;). please play on your ps4 and killmove and be happy.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

And why is Brutal Doom the worst thing that happened to Doomworld community ?

i love brutal doom as it is something for its own and gives doom a different feeling, it's also so moddable and adjustable you can play your style too.
brutal doom sadly is even more doom than doom 4 ;).

Caine said:

read again or learn english.

Caine said:

im not native english

Caine said:

i love brutal doom as it is something for its own and gives doom a different feeling, it's also so moddable and adjustable you can play your style too.
brutal doom sadly is even more doom than doom 4 ;).

somehow I am COMPLETELY unsurprised

Tritnew said:

what you don't understand Is that this Is a reboot

You know what that means? It's gonna try new things, this DOOM Is different from the classics, while keeping the mechanics In It. It's trying to attract new comers to DOOM and trying to add new stuff In to do said thing. If you're gonna keep on complaining about the game and how It's not a "classic FPS", then why be In this part of the forums?

fucking thank you

I don't want UDoom/Doom 2 HD, this is a perfect balance of old and new FPS.

Jaxoon R's comparison is perfect.

EDIT: DMGUYDZ64 he was joking, lol. /s means "sarcasm"

I sure do love that GamePhilosopher review though.

Spends months shitposting about the game and how terrible it will be, but buys it afterwards anyways.

10/10

I know this was posted in a different thread, but it's too good to pass up.

TheGamePhilosophe said:

There's a lot of positive talk surrounding this game, so I convinced myself, against my better judgment, to give it a go. I am deeply regretting my purchase.

Bitches about game for months on end pre-release, convinces self it's going blow nuts, buys anyway, re-affirms pre-conceived judgement, sans $60. There's one born every minute...

In Doom, every encounter was a carefully designed little trap that you had to solve.

Nope. Not unless you consider 'circle-strafing and simple dodging' a way of 'solving' 75% of those 'clever little traps'. Take the nostalgia glasses off, brah.

There is no morphing level geometry,

Yes there is. Play the game and pay attention.

no falling of walls or other structures to reveal new terrors.

None of it's very clever or requires much problem-solving. You just blast and blast enemies in the arena while dodging their projectices until it's over. Yes, that is an aspect of the original Doom too, but only one of many.

But you needn't bother naming what the other aspects were, of course.

Every level was a unique space, filled with unique traps and puzzles to negotiate. A ton of thought went into the character of each map, and that thought and care were a big part of what made the game so good.

Again, take the nostalgia glasses off. Falling ceiling or floors that dropped into slime pits comprised MANY of the traps, and most of the rest were simple ambushes.

I suppose if all Doom ever was to you was a game about shooting demons with shotguns, then this game will impress you. If what you remember about Doom was the blend of surreal level design, traps, puzzles, and action, then the new Doom is probably going to disappoint. Its UAC facilities are generic and its imagining of hell, pedestrian.

Aaaaannd, this right here tells me you have absolutely no concept or appreciation for what comprises good game art and level design. Aside from the high artistic standard of this game, it has levels with multiple routes and intersecting areas, like the original Doom, plenty of optional exploration, like the original Doom, puzzles that require retrieving items and keys, like the original Doom, and lastly a non-linear design in regards to how you're required to tackle a *decent* number of the levels, like the original Doom.

You're so stuck on 'nothing can compare to what the classics were' that you've effectively disabled yourself from being able to recognize key elements of the classics when they're smacking you right in the face in a new game. How sad, how sad.

I had high hopes for this game starting out.

Oh cut the bullshit, you're not fooling anyone. You're a stalwartly pessimistic nit picker who was dead set against this game from the beginning. This is abundantly clear to ANYONE who's paid the slightest attention to your posts over the previous several months in this forum.

Doom was so much more than just that.

It ironed your clothes, too.

dethtoll said:

Guess what, sugar cookie: there were more than enough bad games in the 80s and 90s -- in fact, I'd argue that for every amazing or even good game, there was at least one shit game. You don't get to pretend that it was some kind of magical time where every game sucked your dick. Grow up or get funny.

Who said games in "the old days" were not the same either? Atari had thousands of games among all its consoles and maybe 5 were good... NES had maybe two dozen out of hundreds.. SNES, well, every SNES game was good :D

There is always more garbage than gold in almost anything you look at.

dethtoll said:

http://i.imgur.com/4PB8yni.gif

somehow I am COMPLETELY unsurprised

ohhh nice GIF collection you gotta have.... point1 of typical forum kids, so manly... anime gifs in a doomforum *lol*

Caffeine Freak said:

I know this was posted in a different thread, but it's too good to pass up.

Bitches about game for months on end pre-release, convinces self it's going blow nuts, buys anyway, re-affirms pre-conceived judgement, sans $60. There's one born every minute...

Nope. Not unless you consider 'circle-strafing and simple dodging' a way of 'solving' 75% of those 'clever little traps'. Take the nostalgia glasses off, brah.

But you needn't bother naming what the other aspects were, of course.

Again, take the nostalgia glasses off. Falling ceiling or floors that dropped into slime pits comprised MANY of the traps, and most of the rest were simple ambushes.

Aaaaannd, this right here tells me you have absolutely no concept or appreciation for what comprises good game art and level design. Aside from the high artistic standard of this game, it has levels with multiple routes and intersecting areas, like the original Doom, plenty of optional exploration, like the original Doom, puzzles that require retrieving items and keys, like the original Doom, and lastly a non-linear design in regards to how you're required to tackle a *decent* number of the levels, like the original Doom.

You're so stuck on 'nothing can compare to what the classics were' that you've effectively disabled yourself from being able to recognize key elements of the classics when they're smacking you right in the face in a new game. How sad, how sad.

Oh cut the bullshit, you're not fooling anyone. You're a stalwartly pessimistic nit picker who was dead set against this game from the beginning. This is abundantly clear to ANYONE who's paid the slightest attention to your posts over the previous several months in this forum.

It ironed your clothes, too.

point2 of forum kids, who need to defend every point and analyse each point just to justify themselves :D

"Forum kid"
[has mental capacity of soggy bread]
I'm suuure you're of a position to comment on the general being of others. Or anything at all for that matter. In brief: shut the fuck up already.

Caine said:

point2 of forum kids, who need to defend every point and analyse each point just to justify themselves :D

You dismiss every point and criticism as 'forum kids'. This is how you have a discussion? Were you dropped on your head as a child?