Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
TimeOfDeath

NH4 (two vanilla maps)

/idgames link: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/m-o/nh4

Download: NH4.zip (two vanilla maps, -complevel 2)

Two maps with no health. Inspired by this post:

Olroda said:

Consider this: A hundred screaming revenants in an open, bright space against a player with the BFG9000 is less of a challenge than two revenants in a dark maze against a player with six shells left in his shotgun.

I was able to defeat the two revenents with six shells, but not the 100 odd revs with the BFG.

So I guess the latter was more challenging.

Sweet I was looking forward to the next one; adding this to my play list!

ClumsyDoomer said:

Why do I always think about an ammonium ion when I see this?

antares031 said:

NH3 is a compound of one nitrogen atom and three hydrogen atoms with its distinctive sme... oops, that's the wrong script.

I'm glad that I am not the only one with that opinion.

Oh nice, you made midis of Cora Canning songs?
Btw I love the idea of getting inspired by Doomworld posts (like you also made yourmom.wad and xaserpic.wad).
Maps looked cool on these demos.

very cool! Diggin the midi and overall aesthetic. hard as shit, I should watch your demos before playing I think, camping the HK spawn for instance is sooo much better than letting them disperse throughout the cave :p

neat effect with the doors. they open after each enemy type dies, or is it timed and just feels that way? I remember you can do that sort of thing with dehacking keen states, but I didn't know you could do it with that many enemy types in the same map?

Actually, those are Nostril Caverns songs, but cool that you remembered that name.

Yeah, the doors open after each enemy type dies. There are control sectors on three of the four doors to stop them from opening, then when you walk through the first open door, it raises the next control sector to allow the next door to open, etc.

btw Ribbiks, I did listen to those songs you posted and they were cool. It was especially cool to hear a recorded version of that dfd song. :)

I was also able to kill the two revenants, but not the throng in the other map. I meant the pump-action shotgun, however. Not that it matters much. This is actually the kind of maps that I referred to with my other comments in the thread where my quote came from. No offense, but I have a hard time understanding how anyone can enjoy these kind of maps. Whatever floats your boat, eh?

Olroda said:

No offense, but I have a hard time understanding how anyone can enjoy these kind of maps.

Why? Requires a lot of technical skill to play well, working out strategies, and the very lethal encounters make for lots of tension.

I certainly wouldn't dispute that, but I like some story and "sense of place" i.e. abstract but still recognisable as an actual location (like E1), stuff lying around and monsters have a plausible reason for being located where they are (other than being there to shoot or supply the player with munitions), and so on.

That must be a very fragile balance to enjoy your immersion since we are talking about Doom, of all things.

Anyway, putting this wad in my backlog because I love the idea :)

Olroda said:

I meant the pump-action shotgun, however.

I assumed so, but then you wouldn't have enough ammo to kill the revenants without a lot of non-berzerk punching. If you're into ammo starvation, check out feckyoo by gggmork.

TimeOfDeath said:

check out feckyoo by gggmork.

Sorry for the out of topic but that's one wad I didn't get from your ftp. Are there more like this? I did some research and gggmork once shared everything you have plus some extras, but the link was dead when I checked.

Kira said:

That must be a very fragile balance to enjoy your immersion since we are talking about Doom, of all things.

Not at all, actually. But I think we like DooM for different reasons.

TimeOfDeath said:

If you're into ammo starvation, check out feckyoo by gggmork.

Thanks, will do!

antares031 said:

I'm glad that I am not the only one with that opinion.

I think of methane (or however you say it in USA) CH4.

/idgames link is up for babies to give bad ratings: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/m-o/nh4

Kira said:

Sorry for the out of topic but that's one wad I didn't get from your ftp. Are there more like this? I did some research and gggmork once shared everything you have plus some extras, but the link was dead when I checked.

If you didn't already see it, there's a list of gggmork maps here: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1072194
I might have that link of mork stuff that he posted in that thread on my other computer, I'll check.

TimeOfDeath said:

If you didn't already see it, there's a list of gggmork maps here: https://www.doomworld.com/vb/post/1072194
I might have that link of mork stuff that he posted in that thread on my other computer, I'll check.

Checked this page a few hours ago, but now I noticed I was missing the fffart maps. Thanks!

Edit: ah, and ggg001, I guess.