Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mikeo007

The scripting is incredible!

Been playing around with snap map for a while, and I've gotta say, the logic you can script with the tools is pretty incredible. You've got all the basic programming structures for creating sequences, loops, basically whatever you want. There are also a lot of different properties that you can set, randomize and change.

This took me 2 minutes. A trigger (visible so you can see it), a wall and a point light. Walking through the trigger changes the colours of both, repeatable. Just a tiny taste of what's possible.

https://youtu.be/erQW2fI34dc

So lights can be added after all! Is there only a point light available?

I'm working on a headache of a map where after a fight with two Barons a door the player opens the door and there's a bunch of imps retreating to the next room which is Mancubi and Barons.

The scripting has to be the strong point of the editor in light of all of the lackluster features I've come across.

There is also a spot light but its a bitch to rotate into place and you cant apply any masks to it.

Both light types lack styles. If you want something that blinks you will have to set up a logic chain with a repeater just for that.

I just figured out how you can "implement" a checkpoint like system so the player does not respawn at the start when he dies while half the level is cleared. Remove the initial spawn and show a new one at the location where you want the player to spawn from that moment on. Good to use at the beginning of wave/boss events or just after the player aquired a critical item (like a key).

redrage said:

There is also a spot light but its a bitch to rotate into place and you cant apply any masks to it.

Both light types lack styles. If you want something that blinks you will have to set up a logic chain with a repeater just for that.

I just figured out how you can "implement" a checkpoint like system so the player does not respawn at the start when he dies while half the level is cleared. Remove the initial spawn and show a new one at the location where you want the player to spawn from that moment on. Good to use at the beginning of wave/boss events or just after the player aquired a critical item (like a key).

Give a screenshot of spot light)

id.dav said:

So it a square shape with soft edges...a default in idStudio. But can you scale the light?

Why are you asking for things you already know or at the very least can easily expect to be or not be there? No you cannot scale the light.

Whats next? Your going to ask whether you can dictate light decay? No you cant.

Going to ask wether you can change the cone angle? No you cant.

Wether you can pick wether it influences diffuse and/or specular? No you cant.

Wether you can dictate the penumbra angle? No you cant.

The only things you can change are color and intensity.

Don't derail this thread id.dav. It was started by someone who was excited about what could be done. People exchanged some tips and shared what they were working on. I can't remember the last time you added something remotely constructive when it comes to snapmap so why are you in this thread to begin with...

Hell you clearly dont have the game or you would check for yourself. So what do you care? If you want to know what it can and cannot do buy the freaking game. The SP is excellent so far and well worth the 60 bucks alone.

id.dav said:

So it a square shape with soft edges...a default in idStudio. But can you scale the light?

You can change the intensity which changes the brightness but not the size.
You can move it closer to/further from the surface to change the actual footprint of the light (how large of an area it casts on).

redrage said:

Why are you asking for things you already know or at the very least can easily expect to be or not be there? No you cannot scale the light.

Whats next? Your going to ask whether you can dictate light decay? No you cant.

Going to ask wether you can change the cone angle? No you cant.

Wether you can pick wether it influences diffuse and/or specular? No you cant.

Wether you can dictate the penumbra angle? No you cant.

The only things you can change are color and intensity.

Don't derail this thread id.dav. It was started by someone who was excited about what could be done. People exchanged some tips and shared what they were working on. I can't remember the last time you added something remotely constructive when it comes to snapmap so why are you in this thread to begin with...

Hell you clearly dont have the game or you would check for yourself. So what do you care? If you want to know what it can and cannot do buy the freaking game. The SP is excellent so far and well worth the 60 bucks alone.

It's a reasonable question to ask, and doesn't warrant an accusatory overreaction.

esselfortium said:

It's a reasonable question to ask, and doesn't warrant an accusatory overreaction.

You are right of course. I bet this thread stays super clean and productive now and it had nothing to do with my over accusatory overreaction. :3 Ill refrain from further "accusations" and ill only reply when I have something of value to add. <3

mikeo007 said:

You can change the intensity which changes the brightness but not the size.
You can move it closer to/further from the surface to change the actual footprint of the light (how large of an area it casts on).

Oh! Ok that's something)

I need a guide haha, I'm struggling to master this Snapmap, as simple as it may be. For example I wanted to to set starting game conditions and at best I found particular objects you can add where if you press X on them you can modify properties like starting weaponry etc. But I'm unsure if they are triggered based and needs something to activate them, meanwhile some objects just allow you to change the name so I'm unsure if they do what their name suggests.

Also I see things with "strings" which seems to allow some form of custom scripting / values? All the good game editors seem to have this available but I never understood how to utilize such features.

I do hope somewhere in there you can modify how many guns you can carry etc.

I strongly recommend the in-game tutorials as a starting point. They cover a lot of the basics. Then download some tutorial maps for the more advanced concepts.

The scripting is broken what it is. Lots of people are suffering from game breaking bugs that prevent monsters from spawning as intended.

Bugs suck but are obviously unintended and will be fixed. That doesn't change the fact that it's an incredibly robust system.

mikeo007 said:

Bugs suck but are obviously unintended and will be fixed. That doesn't change the fact that it's an incredibly robust system.

Incredible maybe, certainly not robust. That is the exact opposite of what is happening now.

That's actually what I've thought all this time. The map building is stupidly limited but at least there appears to be a robust scripting capability. I won't lie, I was a bit impressed when I saw knockoffs of Harvest Moon, Tower Defense, and Music Synthesizers.

This isn't scripting =) If anything, it's somthing similar to the EU Matinee tool. Only EU's Matinee is a million times more diversified and gives you almost unlimited freedom.

I watched all the tutorials, but somehow I am stuck with some problems...

How do the AI Walking Paths work? I just wanted to create a patrolling Hellknight. Placed the Hellknight, placed a couple of AI Walking Points, but I am at a complete loss as to how to:
a) connect them
b) connect the Hellknight to them

Both of them have no "v"-option to bring up the logic commands.

Anybody already did this? I guess it is simple, and I just can't find the correct element I have to place to connect it all together.

Move the hellknight over the AI path and you will see it highlight. Then drop it. Now its bound to the AI path.

redrage said:

Move the hellknight over the AI path and you will see it highlight. Then drop it. Now its bound to the AI path.

Edit: I got it!