Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

PC launch options to make your life easier

As with many id games, there are some launch options you can set to make things a little faster to load.

Right click on the game and go to Properties.

Click "Set Launch Options".

Put in the following commands:

+com_skipIntroVideo 1
The game masks the initial loading time behind several logos and warnings and so forth. This just makes the game show a black screen while it loads instead.

+menu_advanced_AllowAllSettings 1
This apparently lets you select Nightmare mode right off the bat.

+set m_smooth 0
If you don't like mouse smoothing, this disables it.

+com_skipKeyPressOnLoadScreens 1
This apparently stops you from having to press a key on a loading screen to continue.

If these are not working, try adding "+set" in front of them like so - "+set com_skipIntroVideo 1"

To put in multiple commands, just place them one after the other with a space in between, like so:

Nice, but does the "+com_skipIntroVideo 1" command actually decreases loading times whatsoever or just converts it all to an empty black screen?

Chezza said:

Nice, but does the "+com_skipIntroVideo 1" command actually decreases loading times whatsoever or just converts it all to an empty black screen?

It just gives you an empty black screen. Which is preferable, and for me lasts much shorter, than the stutter-fest that is the actual videos. I know I can't be the only one having serious problems with the intro videos -- the game actually outright freezes eventually.

FWIW I had to add +set in front of each command for it to actually do anything.

Linguica said:

+set m_smooth 0
If you don't like mouse smoothing, this disables it.

This might actually be a placebo. m_smooth is a multiplier for how many samples to take smoothing into account, however the actual cvar that controls mouse smoothing is m_smoothing, which is already disabled (0, false) by default.

chungy said:

Do any of these options disable achievements/leaderboards?

Nope, still got achievements on my end when I skip the intro and disable mouse acceleration

These are interesting but I wonder if one exists that makes the game start in "SnapMap Mode" instead of starting it up, selecting SnapMap, then waiting a secon time for it to load that "mode"?

Chezza said:

It is half the time, at least.
It skips the Bethesda logo, the id software logo, and both warnings about photosynthetic seizures or whatever.

chungy said:

Do any of these options disable achievements/leaderboards?

Disable the Steam overlay for that. Steam > Settings > In-Game > uncheck the box. You can also turn it off via the launch options, as you can see in Ling's post.

dethtoll said:

It just gives you an empty black screen. Which is preferable, and for me lasts much shorter, than the stutter-fest that is the actual videos. I know I can't be the only one having serious problems with the intro videos -- the game actually outright freezes eventually.

Hmm, that should only happen the first time you play it. If it's doing it every time then something is wrong.

That being said, I also disabled the intro videos as it gets me into the game a lot faster.

Sorry if I'm off-topic, but in my "Recent activity" on Steam I can't see DOOM, but only my previous game (Wolfenstein the Old Blood).
It is normal?

Same happens if I try to see all achievements in DOOM.
Thanks

That's so far affecting everybody. The community page isn't fully unlocked yet so you don't have permission to see the activity of the game.

antiriad said:

Sorry if I'm off-topic, but in my "Recent activity" on Steam I can't see DOOM, but only my previous game (Wolfenstein the Old Blood).
It is normal?

Same happens if I try to see all achievements in DOOM.
Thanks

Yeah completely normal, sometimes new games take a while to show up in your recent activity. I don't know WHY it happens, but it does. Your playtime and all your achievements will show up eventually.

EDIT: Gah, ninja'd.

Edward850 said:

That's so far affecting everybody. The community page isn't fully unlocked yet so you don't have permission to see the activity of the game.

Ah OK thank you! So it's a matter of time, I suppose.

Anybody know the option to start multiplayer mode directly?

(Most likely something like +set fs_game <something>, I guess.)

dfsp_spirit said:

Anybody know the option to start multiplayer mode directly?

(Most likely something like +set fs_game <something>, I guess.)

+com_gameMode 2

The other options are -

0 - ALL (don't use this, it just doesn't pre-load an option so you'll have to relaunch into whatever mode you choose)
1 - Campaign
2 - MP
3 - Snapmap
4 - Shell
5 - Mod

I don't know what 4 and 5 do.

"Mod" eh? Hm, maybe mod support isn't totally out of the question, or was at least was considered at some point.