Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jannak

Cut Material in game files?

I'd love to know what's been cut, see if there's anything cool like new monsters that didn't quite make it.

I would love to know everything about cut material from leftovers in game files to sketches and documents made while game was in development.

a lot of the previous doom 4 stuff was in the strings. vehicles, racing with vehicles, it was a lot like rage from the description.

The alpha leaks had a text file with subtitles for Doom 3-style audio logs, of which there are none in the entire game.

MrSkeltal said:

The alpha leaks had a text file with subtitles for Doom 3-style audio logs, of which there are none in the entire game.

Hmmm...I wonder if the text files can be posted?

Who here remembers the Quakecon '14 reports indicating that a small janitor bot was attempting to clean the mess created by the player?

Okay, now go back and watch the ending sequence with that cool montage. The bot is in there and Doomguy is staring at him.

From my memory (and the list will be far from beeing complete):
Edit: there might be spoilers in here, so I added spoiler tag

Spoiler

- Harvester Demon (moved to DLC in Beta files)
- three multiplayer weapons mentioned in beta files, all with "DLC"-prefix
- couple of multiplayer game modes, now all with "DLC"-prefix (capture the flag, for example)
- items which have been moved between alpha and beta files to "DLC"-prefix regarding multiplayer
- bestiary entries for the demon named "archvile" called it "archvile", while it is now called "Summoner" in release files, while the internal name is still archvile
- Mission structure was changed (in alpha files, defeating the spider mastermind was an objective in Argent Tower, and final boss - while still beeing Olivias transformed state - was named completely different
- Olivias Guard, an enemy that later turned into the Talisman Guard, and finally ended up as the Hell Guard in the final release
- Some kind of infection/worm creeping through many enemies when spawned during alpha. Their origin was the same as the snail-like-things which inhabit the Hell Guards in final release.
- One more Hell Level (there where "Blood Keep 1 to 4" in alpha files, of which - it seems - only three made it into final game
- Restructuring of the story (all voiceover is also in the game files for the subtitles, and there is quite some stuff that is not in the final game, which made predicting the final story rather hard. My favourite missing text is one given by the PA system: "Remember to fill out your organ donation card today...Revenants don't build themselves" (Edit: the correct quote (from beta file) is: "Body donations are always welcomed, remember, Revenants don't make themselves")
- Hard to say if it was changed, but the names of the attack animations from Cyberdemon and Spider Mastermind are not all easily translatable to what we see in the game. Especially with Spider Mastermind. As the model wasn't even finished, I guess they were still tweaking that batlle
- SnapMap stuff that I can't find in the game (mention of Hell Themes, which we might get later as a DLC, mention of classic DooM maps for use in SnapMap, mention of both "Arch Viles killed" stats and "Cyberdemon killed" stats in SnapMap, but both are nowhere to be found in SnapMap
- That SnapMap room called "Icon of Sin"!!!!!!!
- Possible change in experience system. Both alpha and beta files had a variable of type float with the description "Amount of Experience gained by Glory Kills", which obviously is no longer in the game (Weapon Upgrade points are now solely based on pre-defined challenges, which can include glory kills, and the 50% and 100% secret stat)
- Some even recorded voice overs that didn't make it into the game (or I never heard/found them)
- Oh so many weapon mods for the BFG, of which not a single one ended up in game (looks like the BFG might have been a normal weapon in very early development [it was missing from the weapon wheel in E3 demo alreay], and the ideas for upgrading it where still in the alpha files)
- Drivable, upgradable vehicles and vehicle challenges
(obviously stuff left from Rage...there were many Rage-things in the alpha files, some menu text even named the game Rage)

That's just the stuff from memory, I'd have to dig deeper

LANEGRACABRA said:

I fucking hope we get a proper Archvile in an expansion...

Define "a proper Arch Vile" when corpsed don't stay?

The current Arch Vile:
- summons Imps (since there is nothing to resurrect)
- throws an energy wave at you (similar to Doom 3, and since hit-scanners are gone, it fits the new gameplay)
- is even more mobile then the original one, since it can now teleport around

What would you change to make it "a proper arch vile"? Only visuals, or also gameplay?

LANEGRACABRA said:

I fucking hope we get a proper Archvile in an expansion...

The only way we'll ever see a proper Archvile is only if they stop with the vanishing corpses trend....

tuo said:

From my memory (and the list will be far from beeing complete):
Edit: there might be spoilers in here, so I added spoiler tag[spoiler]- One more Hell Level (there where "Blood Keep 1 to 4" in alpha files, of which - it seems - only three made it into final game

- Possible change in experience system. Both alpha and beta files had a variable of type float with the description "Amount of Experience gained by Glory Kills", which obviously is no longer in the game (Weapon Upgrade points are now solely based on pre-defined challenges, which can include glory kills, and the 50% and 100% secret stat)1

There are 4 hell levels though.

Also, the experience thing is probably related to MP rather than the campaign, as that's the only place you earn actual "XP".

AirRaid said:

There are 4 hell levels though.

Also, the experience thing is probably related to MP rather than the campaign, as that's the only place you earn actual "XP".

There where more than 4 hell levels in alpha and beta files. There were named levels, plus the four bloodkeeps, of which one seems to be missing, especially since the concept drawings for it seemed to be transfered to another hell level.

And no, the mentioned XP stuff was not in the multiplayer strings (they are marked "mp_")

But I think it is not worth it to argue over this.

Inferno was evidently called "Bloodrun" at some point in development if the Beta's files are anything to go by. Personally, I find the name Bloodrun to be more fitting, as the map is mostly blood with very little fire.

I've been wondering if there exists or any remnants in the game files of this version of Doom 4?

'Icon of Sin' IS in snapmap; it's a setpiece (or arena?) room with elevations reminiscent of the original. It was in the 'monster wave' snapmap promo video where we first saw doom guy killing a bunch of 2016 pinkies.

Jannak said:

I've been wondering if there exists or any remnants in the game files of this version of Doom 4?

It looks like the SSG model was carried over from there.

Cut or reserved for DLC? You decide. (Hint: in the strings, some of them have been moved to "DLC_" prefix before closed Beta.

tuo said:

Cut or reserved for DLC? You decide. (Hint: in the strings, some of them have been moved to "DLC_" prefix before closed Beta.

That second to last one looks like it has teeth at the tip of the barrel. Maybe it's the unmaker?
Edit: Nope, nevermind. Just realised it's some kind of rifle. Still, it would be cool to see the unmaker make a return.

YOu want teeth with your gun? I give you teeth with your gun:

(okay, probably just very sharp electrical outlets/poles, but still ;) )
(edit2: ah, that's the lightning gun. Interesting that it is also in the single player weapon list!)

LANEGRACABRA said:

That flare rifle is called Hellshot and I'm pretty sure it's the DLC MP weapon.

It's not DLC, you can use it in both MP and Snapmap.

AnonimVio said:

It's not DLC, you can use it in both MP and Snapmap.

And it's a rather fun weapon. If you hit something with secondary fire, it will constantly lose health for a period of time.

Recently i saw in a video a glory kill where someone ripped the imp in half. I dont know if this was gameplay someone recorded after release or if it was some old material. As long as i played i havent encountered this glory kill. Was this one cut out?

Otus said:

Recently i saw in a video a glory kill where someone ripped the imp in half. I dont know if this was gameplay someone recorded after release or if it was some old material. As long as i played i havent encountered this glory kill. Was this one cut out?

That one is only accessed when you have the Berserk power-up active. It's my favorite.