Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

[3DGE] DOOM (4) weapons CANCELLED

A DOOM (4) inspired weapons mod. Works with Doom and Doom 2 and requires the 3DGE sourceport.

This project has been cancelled, downloaded link to latest (last) build below.

Spoiler

DOWNLOAD: http://www.mediafire.com/download/0bs47ihlpf5ccby/d4wpn_v2.zip

CREDITS:
id Software
Neccronixis (weapon sprites)
Zrrion (helmet HUD)
Bethesda Softworks
3D Realms
Sergeant Mark IV
Kinsie
Zion

Why do you insist on making 3DGE-exclusive mods? It is still buggy, it seems to be lacking useful options (such as enemy and secret counts) and none of the music addons I use are compatible.

That aside, the mod itself is enjoyable so far. The Doom 4 weapons look surprisingly better in the original games than in the game they were designed for. I am curious to see if the same goes for the enemy models. Can we expect a full-blown Doom 4 TC in the near future?

Now, on the negative side:

There is a noticeable outline around the weapon sprites.

The HUD also feels a bit too crowded, especially with the powerup duration bars. If there was a way to reduce its size like in ZDoom, it would be fine.

Not too sure about having the pistol, the machine gun and the chaingun share the same ammo. On that note, what exactly is supposed to be the difference between the three, aside from the fire rate? I tend to run out of ammo so fast that I cannot really tell.

I would suggest that you invert the Supershotgun's firing modes: I believe it makes more sense that the primary function fires only one shell at a time. I also think Doomguy should automatically reload after firing both barrels, like in vanilla Doom II, and be able to reload after firing a single barrel as well. Right now, I find the weapon to be just too inconvenient to use and I much prefer the shotgun.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Why do you insist on making 3DGE-exclusive mods? It is still buggy, it seems to be lacking useful options (such as enemy and secret counts) and none of the music addons I use are compatible.

The bugs are being ironed out, 3DGE doesn't have a large team or following like ZDoom so it takes time.

Insist? No, but it is my preferred port for editing. I find it easy and comfortable to mod.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

That aside, the mod itself is enjoyable so far. The Doom 4 weapons look surprisingly better in the original games than in the game they were designed for. I am curious to see if the same goes for the enemy models. Can we expect a full-blown Doom 4 TC in the near future?

No, just weapons. I figured I'd make a smaller mod for once.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

There is a noticeable outline around the weapon sprites.

Where? I can not see it. Could you provide some screenshots.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

The HUD also feels a bit too crowded, especially with the powerup duration bars. If there was a way to reduce its size like in ZDoom, it would be fine.

The HUD is just not finished yet. I made it clear that it is a work-in-progress.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Not too sure about having the pistol, the machine gun and the chaingun share the same ammo. On that note, what exactly is supposed to be the difference between the three, aside from the fire rate? I tend to run out of ammo so fast that I cannot really tell.

The pistol will use infinite ammo and only the machine guns use bullets. The machine gun has the rate of fire as the vanilla chaingun while the new chaingun has a super fast rate of fire and being more cumbersome. Further differences may be added.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

I would suggest that you invert the Supershotgun's firing modes: I believe it makes more sense that the primary function fires only one shell at a time. I also think Doomguy should automatically reload after firing both barrels, like in vanilla Doom II, and be able to reload after firing a single barrel as well. Right now, I find the weapon to be just too inconvenient to use and I much prefer the shotgun.

This way I am not forced to do a reload if a shot fails or I am surrounded by hordes of demons. I have a chance to run away and reload when I want. The reload is pretty lenghty after all. I was thinking about swapping the attacks my self.

CeeJay said:

Where? I can not see it. Could you provide some screenshots.

... Are you kidding me? You are not seeing the cyan (or pink, for the shotgun) outlines around the sprite edges? They are quite visible. Even the HUD has them.

Anyway, I am not sure how to upload pictures on this forum, so if you cannot see them yourself, I do not know what else to tell you...

Even Duke It Out in DC did not have them. :/

JohnnyTheWolf said:

... Are you kidding me? You are not seeing the cyan (or pink, for the shotgun) outlines around the sprite edges? They are quite visible. Even the HUD has them.

No, I do not have that problem myself. That's why I asked. Is it only the shotgun?

The Shotgun has pink outlines, but every other weapon and even the helmet HUD sprites have cyan outlines.

The only exception is the fists.

This way I am not forced to do a reload if a shot fails or I am surrounded by hordes of demons. I have a chance to run away and reload when I want. The reload is pretty lenghty after all. I was thinking about swapping the attacks my self.

Fair enough.

But could you add the ability to reload a single shell? It is annoying not to be able to do so when firing one barrel at a time.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

The Shotgun has pink outlines, but every other weapon and even the helmet HUD sprites have cyan outlines.

The only exception is the fists.

Very odd. I can't understand why this is, I'm not experiencing the problem myself.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

But could you add the ability to reload a single shell? It is annoying not to be able to do so when firing one barrel at a time.

Not possible I'm afraid.

A) The sprites don't support it, he clearly loads a set of two shells into the barrel
B) Beyond the engines capabilities

EDIT: You wouldn't have "smoothing" on by any chance? If so, turn it off and see if that fixes the problem with the outlines on the weapons.

Yeah, that is it. Thank you!

As I said, I did not get such issue with Duke It Out in Doom, so I did not think smoothing could be the cause. Weird...

B) Beyond the engines capabilities

Really? That is odd, considering Duke it Out in Doom allows you to reload the Pistol at any time.

3DGE handles reloading differently and a little primitive compare to most other ports, both Doom and Duke 3D.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Enemy/Secret counts: what do you mean? Like, showing how many enemies/secrets are left in a map via a tally? I think that can be done.

What music addons are you trying to load? Are they made for 3DGE or a different port?

Please be patient with 3DGE. V2.1.0 will be bug-fixed and much faster than previous releases (which also uses SDL2 now). My programming team increased recently, so that is really speeding progress up.

@cj: still working on adding partial reloading the right way, hopefully we can iron that out.

I of course meant to say Duke it Out in Doom.

Chu said:

Enemy/Secret counts: what do you mean? Like, showing how many enemies/secrets are left in a map via a tally? I think that can be done.

That would be awesome!

What music addons are you trying to load? Are they made for 3DGE or a different port?

The Doom Metal Soundtrack addon, Ransu's Doom 20th Anniversary Music Collection, Doom PSX music wads, etc.

I doubt any of them were made with 3DGE in mind.

Please be patient with 3DGE. V2.1.0 will be bug-fixed and much faster than previous releases (which also uses SDL2 now). My programming team increased recently, so that is really speeding progress up.

Of course. I apologise.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

I of course meant to say Duke it Out in Doom.

Ah, gotcha. My bad. Without context it genuinely looked like you were a new face who didn't quite understand the difference. Wasn't being an ass, I literally only had that to say. ;)

Yeah, if those music addons were not made for 3DGE, they will not work. What do those music addons use? Like, a mapinfo lump, etc? Zdoom-specific lump? I could write a quick parser that could convert it to our ddf system I suppose...

I am unfamiliar with these terms, so I could not tell you. :/

Jayextee said:

Ah, gotcha. My bad. Without context it genuinely looked like you were a new face who didn't quite understand the difference. Wasn't being an ass, I literally only had that to say. ;)

It is all right. Even I sometimes refer to the mod as "Doom Nukem" in order to avoid confusion.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

No fists anymore? But I can still select them.

What else is changed in this beta?

A lot. HUD is mostly finished, pistol has infinite ammo and proper sound, faster select/deselect animations for all weapons plus sounds, more weapon-specific deaths, weapon smoke, barrel explosion, lots of new/replaced sounds, etc.

Er... are you sure you uploaded the correct file? I have downloaded it, but I have not noticed any change. :S

Also, since there is no rifle in this mod, it would make sense to reuse the pistol zombie sprite from Duke it Out in Doom.

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Er... are you sure you uploaded the correct file? I have downloaded it, but I have not noticed any change. :S

Everything looks correct from my side. Uploaded another beta just in case:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/dw655iqwrk5e5et/d4wpn_beta2.zip

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Also, since there is no rifle in this mod, it would make sense to reuse the pistol zombie sprite from Duke it Out in Doom.

Maybe. But they don't use player pistol, if so they wouldn't drop anything since the pistol has infinite ammo.

CeeJay said:

Everything looks correct from my side.

Nevermind, I was using the wrong shortcut.

Maybe. But they don't use player pistol, if so they wouldn't drop anything since the pistol has infinite ammo.

Ah, good point.

The pistol still ejects brass, though. Are you planning to edit that out?

JohnnyTheWolf said:

The pistol still ejects brass, though. Are you planning to edit that out?

From the footage I've seen of the new DOOM (2016) the pistol seems to eject something. It is not inconceivable that it uses some sort or cartridge or battery that need to be swapped between shots. My theory is that it is some kind of bullet weapon that utilizes a plasma charge in its rounds. Why it would not require ammo baffles me however.

No, another awesome mod that runs on a port not made for Android/iOS :(

Beloko should add the 3DGE engine to D-Touch, so I can play Duke it out in Doom, this Doom 4 Weapons mod, and Q DOOM!

QDoom? Not sure if that old mod even works with newer versions of the engine.

EDIT: Could probably be updated to use actual models instead of sprite conversions.

CeeJay said:

My birthday gift to you...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/g3x84tv5z9bb1zb/d4wpn.zip

I am not entirely satisfied with the end result, but whatever.

Enjoy!

It's really fun! =D

Only complaint is probably the cyan outline. But eh that's just a little nitpick. As usual, your mods are kickass! =D

Do you plan on implementing weapon mods in the future? Like starting out with the standard shotgun, and then finding the explosive or three-round burst module for it?

But oh wait... I just remembered that the Doom 4 style weapon sprites only remade the explosive shotgun. :P

Anyway, this mod is awesome!!!! =D

Keep up the good work man!

Another mod from the legend! :3

Oh and Happy Birthday! :D Rip and tear!

What's this whole thing about cyan outlines?

I am not seeing it myself, the images look correct for me. Do you guys have "smoothing" on ?

Most likely. With Smoothing on, I started noticing pink outlines around the rotating holographic Duke heads in Doom Nukem menu too.

Ok, well turn it off to get around the problem.

I never play with it on because I think it just makes everything look ugly. I prefer the old classic pixelated sharp look. What the sprites were designed for.