Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
redrage

Snapmap atmosphere are post effects

Snapmap atmosphere are post effects

This means you cannot light up a dark room by placing your own light.

Because the placed light will be affected by the post effect which was what made the module dark to begin with.

Try it: choose "Night" atmosphere for a module.

Now place a light at 100% intensity and watch it do absolutely fuck all.

This is also why there is this abrupt change when you move from one module to the next and why the "atmosphere" of the module you are in is always applied to every module you can look into, even when that other module has a completely different atmosphere assigned to it.

Its because the atmosphere is a simple post effect, its either on or of for you depending on what module you are in.

What a horrible piece of shit this SnapMap has turned out to be.

Jup, noticed the same. When I found the "Night"-athmosphere, I got all wuzzy and wanted to light up the room with lights to get nice lighting...ZOINK, not possible.

I have had similar issues.

As a kid - I always wanted to make a map where things are all fine and dandy until you do something and then all of the lights turn off and things go to hell.

Before finishing the campaign I could not hold back.. I had to make my lights turning off level!

I script an acceptable intro, I pick the prefab rooms, trying my best to imagine what can be done with them, and then the moment of truth.. lights turning off!

Attempt #1: Walk over a trigger that changes the module atmospheres to 'Night' - nope, doesn't seem possible.

Attempt #2: Set the maps to 'Night' and go to the effort of lighting them all manually... only to find that lights don't really work when a dark atmosphere is selected.

Well this sucks! All I wanted was a map where I could turn the lights off. Everywhere I have gone, I seem limited in my decisions to make anything interesting. Maybe there is way? Maybe? I can only hope but it isn't looking promising.

Sad :<

Don't know what you are talking about. I put the room to dark and put in a light and it works. I even used repeaters to make the light turn on and off over and over thus creating Doom style flickering lights. You can created colored lights as well. In fact, lighting plays a considerable role in my current map since I am going for a somewhat of a horror theme with it.

The 'Dark' isn't that dark - first of all - you can still clearly see where everything is. 'Night' is much darker.

Also - you can not add enough light to give the illusion of a well-lit room in 'Dark'. The difference between light and no-light isn't big enough for that.

It might be enough for a bit of mood lighting, but I don't think you can get much more than that from it. Once again - hopefully there is a trick to it.

It seems atmosphere is a combination of post processing and tweaks to the lights themselves. Dark is with scaled down lights, night is with post (presumably on top of dark).

What you can do however, depending on how the module is designed, is to try and find the actual light sources. With some modules they are high to the ceiling and single, these can be covered up by prefabs that render shadows (you have to go by trial and error here).

For other modules however multiple lights have been used or spotlights that only start giving of light a certain distance from the emitter. These can't be "covered up".

Even with the modules that this works for, strange things happen as you look into them from other modules. They only get "truly" dark when you get inside so there are still some post effects being applied to Dark, just not as singular as with Night.

Here is a screenshot of the result:

I also managed to randomize the light so it actually flickers (not just on/of with a fixed interval). It looks pretty cool and is a smart little logic chain. If enough people are interest I could draw it out.

redrage said:

I also managed to randomize the light so it actually flickers (not just on/of with a fixed interval). It looks pretty cool and is a smart little logic chain. If enough people are interest I could draw it out.

I'm interested, I'v found many uses for lights, spotlights and point. They are very usefull when used correctly, when I release My snap Map I'll Show you some of my work.

redrage said:

What you can do however, depending on how the module is designed, is to try and find the actual light sources. With some modules they are high to the ceiling and single, these can be covered up by prefabs that render shadows

I've actually been doing this with my current project, what seems to work the best is player block volumes because of their flexibility in size. They still cast shadows and I'm pretty happy with the effect on the "e1m1 Armor Staircase" module with the dark filter.

To prevent transitioning filters from messing with your lighting in the next room, I'd suggest adding a jig or coupler module that also has the dark filter. Seeing the light transition in a small hallway is way less jarring than having it happen to your maticulously lit room.

I found lighting to work just fine in my first map. I got spotlights on demons, wall lights providing sources, and fire lighting up rooms. I do wish I could go higher than 100% intensity, though.

redrage said:

What you can do however, depending on how the module is designed, is to try and find the actual light sources. With some modules they are high to the ceiling and single, these can be covered up by prefabs that render shadows (you have to go by trial and error here).

Ok, I'v been messing with this on pc and there are some things to note. If you get to crazy It can annhialate framerate (on pc atleast). using the open crate you can get some really cool effects, like having the ceiling be dark and the floor lighting up and can even make a night like room, the only problem with making dark rooms like this is it messes with other object shadows and occlusion. were definetly learning more how to trick lighting effects every day, as soon as I feel confedent I might make a lighting tutorial. I'm getting my maps to look pretty damn spiffy so far.

being able to see the unprocessed room when opening a door is what bothers me. cant make a red lighted room without a sudden obvious shift in lighting