Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zoost

Carmacks next generation of work

I saw this quote of carmack, thought it it might be of interest to you. I know what this means!

Open the DOOM IV FORUM !!!!

"John Carmack quote in it's entirety: Nvidia is the first of the consumer graphics companies to firmly understand what is going to be happening with the convergence of consumer realtime and professional offline rendering. The architectural decision in the NV30 to allow full floating point precision all the way to the framebuffer and texture fetch, instead of just in internal paths, is a good example of far sighted planning. It has been obvious to me for some time how things are going to come together, but Nvidia has made moves on both the technical and company strategic fronts that are going to accelerate my timetable over my original estimations

My current work on Doom is designed around what was possible on the original Geforce, and reaches an optimal impliementation on the NV30. My next generation of work is designed around what is made possible on the NV30
"

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1790&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

so hold on, does he mean the next project he makes will be designed on the nv30 or is he going to start designing doom3 around nv30? My logic tells me the next project, but that's just logic, who uses it anyway?

The original geforce? I thought it was the geforce 3 doom3 is being designed for..

Carmack said:
My current work on Doom is designed around what was possible on the original Geforce, and reaches an optimal impliementation on the NV30. My next generation of work is designed around what is made possible on the NV30

He's design Doom III around GeForce 1, researching support of the latest functionnalities of the NV30.
And say that his next project will be design around NV30. U could expect his next project to support the next NV generations too.

(excuse my poor english)

After Macworld, Carmack said : "I think things are going to really clean up in the next couple years. All of my advocacy is focused on making sure that there will be a completely clean and flexible interface for me to target in the engine after DOOM, and I think it is going to happen."

Though DOOM IV would, indeed, suck. id really need to come up with something new after this.

uh, and doom IV comes in where??? nowhere did carmack imply doom IV.

I think id's next project is going to be that Quest thing that the other half id wanted to do instead of doom3.

Their project after Doom III had better not be some multiplayer focused game. I'd much prefer Doom IV to any of those.

GS-1719 said:

Their project after Doom III had better not be some multiplayer focused game. I'd much prefer Doom IV to any of those.

i highly doubt it will be. if it is, i will send gift certificates to everyone at id for a mental examination, good for 100 hours each. =P

DOOM IV would be just fine, but a new series of FPS might be cool. (SCI-FI, no gothic stuff :P)

gatewatcher said:

i highly doubt it will be. if it is, i will send gift certificates to everyone at id for a mental examination, good for 100 hours each. =P

I'm sure the psychiatrists are looking forward to your 2 million dollar gift package.

Lord FlatHead said:

Though DOOM IV would, indeed, suck. id really need to come up with something new after this.

After doom3, iD are starting a new franchise with Nerve. And don't forget that Raven are using the doom3 engine for Quake 4...

Anyone here seen The people under the stairs?
I would like to see something like that become his next project. Somehow, they should use that house in the film for a map and make it a creepy multiplayer-game.. God, that film rocks.

I feel id don't need to do any more DOOM's after D3, all id have to do is what they've done with the old doom. Allow all their fans the ability to co and recreate and expand the D3 universe. Carmacks should now just focus on new ideas, projects and expand his technological approach to creative flexiablity in gaming engines.

Even though, It'll be mad sweet if id would create some new demon monsters for people wanting to create their own DOOM3 stories or sub-plots. Maybe some different uniforms for the marine and other human characters. Also make some new backgrounds...ummm, damn!! I forgot what they call those things where people can make there own levels using the current area backgrounds, and then later on id would make new backgrounds so people won't be stuck using same old backgrounds and their creations would have it's own unique style and atmosphere.

My "IMO"
Tsar