Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomvaultboy

Other great sites for Doom discussion

Recommended Posts

I recently joined this site, and although there is a lot of good discussion on here, I find it quite hard to look at. It's run on very archaic forum software and is quite ugly. While looking for somewhere else to discuss doom with like-minded fans, I found a bethesda focused forum site called "sugarbombed.com" while it mainly focuses on Fallout and Elder scrolls discussion, there is a growing contingent of people who talk about Doom. They also have a facebook page where they post constant updates and funny stuff about doom here: https://www.facebook.com/DOOMGang-1722132054725308/?fref=ts

hope to see some of you over there!

Share this post


Link to post

I know this one gopher site that runs The Assbook. It's kind of an imageboard like 4chan, except there's no images! I'd give you the link, but you don't sound cool enuf to run Lynx or other gopher-compatible browser.

Share this post


Link to post
hex11 said:

I know this one gopher site that runs The Assbook. It's kind of an imageboard like 4chan, except there's no images! I'd give you the link, but you don't sound cool enuf to run Lynx or other gopher-compatible browser.

you're right, I'm not :'(

Share this post


Link to post
doomvaultboy said:

I find it quite hard to look at. It's run on very archaic forum software and is quite ugly.


So your proposed alternative is the fuckugly eye-aching "OH HEY LOOK AT ALL THIS WHITE" buggy piece of arse-crust that is Faecesbook?

I like you, you're funny.

Share this post


Link to post
Jayextee said:

So your proposed alternative is the fuckugly eye-aching "OH HEY LOOK AT ALL THIS WHITE" buggy piece of arse-crust that is Faecesbook?

I like you, you're funny.

I mean facebook is facebook... never really been bothered by the white lol

Linguica said:

You're not wrong about the archaic forum software here but I mean

http://i.imgur.com/jj473rH.png

come on

it's 100x better looking than this site lol... If you're talking about the lack of doom discussion than yeah I agree it is lacking, but it's growing with the popularity of the new doom. I think the sites only been around for a few months anyhow so it'll grow, especially if some ppl from here move over to there. The people there are very friendly.

Share this post


Link to post
doomvaultboy said:

it's 100x better looking than this site lol...

How about no. At a glance and with this color palette, I thought Linguica was screencaping an unrelated site about drug dealing. As I thought it was a retarded impression I looked closer, to get my eyes badly hurt by all those clashing colors.

What's even the point of having huge boxes for redundant information below the profile pictures anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Kira said:

How about no. At a glance and with this color palette, I thought Linguica was screencaping an unrelated site about drug dealing. As I thought it was a retarded impression I looked closer, to get my eyes badly hurt by all those clashing colors.

What's even the point of having huge boxes for redundant information below the profile pictures anyway.

There are signatures in there that you can't apparently. I've been on the site for a little while and I can vouch for it. I'm not completely sure where that post is on sugarombed, but i'll try to search for it and get a better image.
Anyway, I think the sites great. doom isn't their focus, its general gaming with bethesda roots. They've got great staff who love to help and the user base is very friendly. I've made a lot of friend these last few months, and i've seen the site change and evolve and it brings me so much joy to see how far it has come.

Their facebook isnt really launched yet, they have have it out there for the future but they do have a lot of big youtubers on the site like mrmattyplays and fudgemuppet. The sites got a live chat where you can talk to anyone whos got an account on the site. The site has its own podcasts, i think theyre about to launch some merch, and they've got a team of writer that produce articles and guides pretty frequently :p anyway guys, I saw y'all talking about sugarbombed so i figred i'd chime in and make somewhat of a defense for it.
No ones asking to give up doomworld, but you should give Sb a try.

The sites motto is community, games, culture, and it believes in customization and expression for it users ^.^

doomvaultboy said:

I recently joined this site, and although there is a lot of good discussion on here, I find it quite hard to look at. It's run on very archaic forum software and is quite ugly. While looking for somewhere else to discuss doom with like-minded fans, I found a bethesda focused forum site called "sugarbombed.com" while it mainly focuses on Fallout and Elder scrolls discussion, there is a growing contingent of people who talk about Doom. They also have a facebook page where they post constant updates and funny stuff about doom here: https://www.facebook.com/DOOMGang-1722132054725308/?fref=ts

hope to see some of you over there!

I think sb looks pretty great. Darkitarist's logos and dark theme looks really good. The sites come a long way since its conception

Share this post


Link to post

I miss DoomCenter, that was a good-looking place (still blue/black though, I could have a bias there). Whatever happened to BigDog anyway?

Share this post


Link to post

Doomworld looks minimalist, sure, but not ugly. I find the lack of visual noise rather appealing actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Jayextee said:

I miss DoomCenter, that was a good-looking place (still blue/black though, I could have a bias there). Whatever happened to BigDog anyway?

I've never been on that site before. Are you playing the new doom?

The dark theme for Sb is beautiful. The white serves it purpose but whoever made it default isnt the smartest guy. I do like the toggle though

Share this post


Link to post
Gentlepoke said:

My god, who thought that the colour palette for that site was a good idea?

I like grey and red better than this weird shade of blue/teal on this site, but that's my preference I guess.

also this place is just really bare bones, but like the one guy said some people like that. Not gonna argue with people's taste but SB is definitely better looking than this place.

Share this post


Link to post
iLucid said:

I've never been on that site before. Are you playing the new doom?


Hahahahah, that's because it isn't the year 2000 or whatever. And yes, I have been. DoomWorld shall be fine for me, I actually like the minimalism and 'dated' thing(AKA uncluttered, not bogged down with Things That Will Make Chrome Slow Down Like Ass With A Tab Open For A Few Hours™).

But y'know, I registered here 16 years ago. :3

Share this post


Link to post

I think this will appeal mostly to the new Doom players (i.e., those who are into Doom 2016). I mean, Doomworld has been around for ages, and it has become pretty much the central hub when it comes to the discussion of the classic games, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post

I like the look of DW. It doesn't hurt my eyes to read it for a few hours if I want to. My only complaint is I can never find a login button other than forcing one by clicking the user control panel link.

That SB place hurts my eyes. They also think Wikia is an important link. They deserve to have their servers thrown into a volcano for that.

Share this post


Link to post

The DOOM Facebook group /thinly veiled sarcasm

Doominator2 said:

Nah, I want to stay as far away from the Bethesda Community as possible.

Every full moon, members of the Bethesda Community run out into the night, humping their rolls of fat and canteens of Mountain Dew over hills and valleys, to capture stray CD Projekt Red Fans. They tie up their prey and hump their rolls of fat and canteens of Mountain Dew back over those hills and valleys, back to their lair, a inconspicuous hole in a mountain: the dreaded Casualcave. They hold their prey down on an altar that is made of stone, but looks like plastic (the model and texture never fully loaded) and sacrifice them to their God-Emperor Todd Howard. Their leader (wearing incredibly revealing daedric armor) stabs his Legendary Penetrating Kremvh's Tooth into the Witcher fan's chest over and over again until they can harvest The Witcher 3's graphics and RPG mechanics. They hold these superior graphics and mechanics over their heads, and throw them into the fire, watching them burn.

Share this post


Link to post
Aliotroph? said:

My only complaint is I can never find a login button other than forcing one by clicking the user control panel link.

The login entry location is way down near the bottom of the main forums page, right hand side (there is no login button to my knowledge, you just do it on the main page).

Don't ask me why it's down there though, considering logging in is typically the first thing a user would do (therefore should be near the top).



Also: That sugarbomb site/forum makes my eyes bleed.

Share this post


Link to post
Nuxius said:

The login entry location is way down near the bottom of the main forums page, right hand side (there is no login button to my knowledge, you just do it on the main page).

Don't ask me why it's down there though, considering logging in is typically the first thing a user would do (therefore should be near the top).


So it is! Weird. Somehow I've never managed to either notice or remember that.

Share this post


Link to post

Doomworld is highly overdue for a makeover. It needs to be tablet friendly with extremly large text, parallax backgrounds in sepia tone, and trendy pictures of hipsters drinking latte.

Share this post


Link to post

I just find it very funny how people on this crusty ass 20 year old forum are saying that SB makes their eyes bleed

I guess when you're on the same site for 20 years you get used to it

Share this post


Link to post

I love the early-00s vibe DW has. It's easy on the eyes, loads like lightning, and lacks overwhelming distracting clutter/ads that make almost every other """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""modern""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" webpage look like shit

Share this post


Link to post
kuchitsu said:

Is this like hidden advertising or something?

No, It's pretty blatant.

doomvaultboy said:

I just find it very funny how people on this crusty ass 20 year old forum are saying that SB makes their eyes bleed

I guess when you're on the same site for 20 years you get used to it

Well, no one is forcing you to be here.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×