Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomvaultboy

Other great sites for Doom discussion

doomvaultboy said:

I guess when you're on the same site for 20 years you get used to it

Luckily ur mom doesn't know about ur dad's stance on the issue.

iLucid said:

civ VI article.

I'm hopeful for this to be a good game. But I hope they go more in depth with social policies, and bring back vassal-states. I thought that was a cool feature in Civ IV. As well, as civ nationalities, for citizens from part 3.

EDIT: Never mind, I strongly dislike that art-style...

doomvaultboy said:

I just find it very funny how people on this crusty ass 20 year old forum are saying that SB makes their eyes bleed

I guess when you're on the same site for 20 years you get used to it

your face is crusty!!!!!!!!! owned

I'm less concerned with the aesthetic and more with the functionality. Doomworld is primitive and severely out of date.

How to not get people to visit that ugly ass site: Come to Doomworld and tell us the site we love is ugly old shit and that we should use sugartablet or whatever it's called because it's gaudy and loads slowly therefore it's modern and good looking.

Just because you don't appreciate minimalist web design with super fast loading times doesn't mean it's "crusty". My smartphone about keeled over when I tried to load that other page.

Not to mention that SB shows alot of grey emptiness under your post even when your post is only like a sentence long.

I find it funny that this thread is named "Other great sites for Doom discussion" and instead of asking for other sites or recommending a few other sites, the OP just plugs one and shits on this one. Literally everything on that other site looks like it's just not for me. And if they're plugging the wikia over there, the only things you can expect a DW member to bring to the party are a torch and a pitchfork.

Tbh I don't understand people's gripes about DW needing a revamp or whatever; I think the site looks great, the text portion of what people say is front and center, with only as much space as necessary devoted to the extra stuff, like people's names/tags/avatars and the misc commands at the top and bottom of the pages. Everything's easy to find and loads quickly. The text portion takes up about 80% of my phone's screen, so it's not like it's small and requires zooming in to read, though most mobile devices now let you set the font's size independent of zooming, so I don't even see how there could be a complaint for that.

I also like DW's use of darker colors for the majority of what displays on the screen; it's easy on my eyes. That other site is way too flashy and colorful, with shit everywhere; ever heard of eye-fatigue?

Honestly Doomworld is old and beat and really sucks Lingeeka should sell it to sugarbombed for free so that it can be run by someone who knows how to actually make a website thanks for listening

My only real complain about Doomworld is that it's quite tricky to use it on my smartphone without zooming in - some clickable things are just too small and i often accidentally press the wrong thing and it annoys me. Yeah, DW is not really optimized for smartphones..
Other than that everything is quite ok, although some design choices are strange (login thing is at the bottom of the page, for example).

Quast said:

No, It's pretty blatant.

Well, no one is forcing you to be here.

Good thing they're not, I don't think my eyes can take this onslaught of blue any longer!

Fonze said:

I find it funny that this thread is named "Other great sites for Doom discussion" and instead of asking for other sites or recommending a few other sites, the OP just plugs one and shits on this one. Literally everything on that other site looks like it's just not for me. And if they're plugging the wikia over there, the only things you can expect a DW member to bring to the party are a torch and a pitchfork.

Tbh I don't understand people's gripes about DW needing a revamp or whatever; I think the site looks great, the text portion of what people say is front and center, with only as much space as necessary devoted to the extra stuff, like people's names/tags/avatars and the misc commands at the top and bottom of the pages. Everything's easy to find and loads quickly. The text portion takes up about 80% of my phone's screen, so it's not like it's small and requires zooming in to read, though most mobile devices now let you set the font's size independent of zooming, so I don't even see how there could be a complaint for that.

I also like DW's use of darker colors for the majority of what displays on the screen; it's easy on my eyes. That other site is way too flashy and colorful, with shit everywhere; ever heard of eye-fatigue?

SB uses grey, black, and red. Never heard those colors described as "flashy and colorful" before lol

Ralphis said:

Honestly Doomworld is old and beat and really sucks Lingeeka should sell it to sugarbombed for free so that it can be run by someone who knows how to actually make a website thanks for listening

Agreed! Hey Linguica, how does $50 cold hard cash sound?

You are not going to attract a lot of people with that attitude...

ChekaAgent said:

My only real complain about Doomworld is that it's quite tricky to use it on my smartphone without zooming in - some clickable things are just too small and i often accidentally press the wrong thing and it annoys me. Yeah, DW is not really optimized for smartphones..
Other than that everything is quite ok, although some design choices are strange (login thing is at the bottom of the page, for example).

I actually do wish the forums played nicer on my phone. As it is, it loads the full page entirely, rather than a mobile version.

Also don't like how search works, but it's not that big a deal. I agree with you about the odd design choices, though.

The site is fine as-is, maybe add a tiny bit of functionality for phones/tablets and that's it.

doomvaultboy said:

SB uses grey, black, and red. Never heard those colors described as "flashy and colorful" before lol

If you can say with a straight face that red text on black and text on a friggin yellow box is a good idea, I'll start to believe that indeed, eye-fatigue is a legend.

Marcaek said:

I'm less concerned with the aesthetic and more with the functionality. Doomworld is primitive and severely out of date.

Most "modern" sites don't have better functionality, just lots of ads and tracking mechanisms in the guise of social-networking. And it all falls apart when you turn off javascript, or just start blocking things that look suspicious. And there are tons of security issues, not only on the sites themselves (which are built on layers upon layers of sketchy frameworks and libraries), but also the bloated monstrosities they call "web browsers" today that are needed to experience this madness (for those who are either desperate enough, or just plain masochists).
Not trying to defend these PHP boards, just pointing out that you're going in the wrong direction if you want better functionality. Usenet was way better in every possible respect, because it gave complete control to the client on how to display and arrange threads, manage killfile, script/automate regular postings (like a newsletter), and just plain easy archival of a group or thread. And the protocol even had redundancy and decentralization built-in. Heck, you could even post binaries directly (base64 or uuencoded) instead of faffing around with all these stupid file-sharing sites.
Quite frankly, even dial-up BBS were more enjoyable to use than modern websites, despite their text-only nature (Usenet posts OTOH could contain hyperlinks and thus images). And the aesthetic was way better too: nice ANSI menus and graphics > all the Web 2.0 crap posted in this thread.

Linguica said:

I'm considering moving the forums to this software: https://forums.flaskbb.org/

but with a different styling, of course.

hope this is a joke
please don't move anything
big changes to websites that worked just fine for several years are never good

Fonze said:

And if they're plugging the wikia over there

Okay, that's the final nail in the coffin. Not gonna visit that site and I hope it dies.

Linguica said:

FlaskBB? Never heard of it.
Perhaps I shouldn't be concerned, but how secure is it compared to phpBB and myBB?

kuchitsu said:

hope this is a joke
please don't move anything
big changes to websites that worked just fine for several years are never good

DW is long overdue for some updating, and I trust Ling to handle things properly.

I think he's already done enough harm with the NEW and IMPROVED search engine, links that are forcibly turned into embedded images, disabled anonymous reviews, completely disabled reviews for some people even after login, broken "show images as links" option, etc.

I'm not familiar with all those changes, but the ones I've encountered have been net positives. The old search was replaced because the old one was so broken it was causing the server to choke and die, so it's not like Ling decided to just code a complete replacement for it just for funsies. I find the new one actually easier to use, personally. Disabling anonymous reviews was badly needed for a long time to prevent spam and other abuse that was causing headaches for the people who have to maintain the site. It's not unreasonable to expect people to take responsibility for what they post.

Hmm. I agree that Doomworld needs an upgrade, personally. Not necessarily just visually, but in its relevant Doom-related content (we still have a Doom 3 section on the front page, seriously) and in the presentation of community created/oriented content too. As it is now, there's almost no reason to go to the front page of Doomworld except to browse some archaic links out of curiosity. The forums work for what they are, but I have always thought that they were hard on the eyes -- and they don't work well on mobile at all. What's so bad about wanting to move out of 2002?

Pavera said:

Hmm. I agree that Doomworld needs an upgrade, personally. Not necessarily just visually, but in its relevant Doom-related content (we still have a Doom 3 section on the front page, seriously)

Not just Doom 3, but Doom 3 speculation. Doomworld's front page links to a page dedicated to keeping track of prerelease news and speculation about an upcoming game that was already released over a decade ago.

The current state of the front page makes Doomworld look all but abandoned, because nearly everything of value is buried somewhere in the forums.

Not gonna lie, the Theme and look almost fooled me first time i visited the Forums, i thought "Such website can't be very active" .

esselfortium said:

The current state of the front page makes Doomworld look all but abandoned, because nearly everything of value is buried somewhere in the forums.

Since I tend to come and go every few years, I have to admit I get this feeling each time I come back, before looking at dates and Cacowards.

5/10 years of Doom are lovely insights of a time long gone (and might I say, required readings). But the Doom 3 part is way past its expiration date, except for "The Men Behind Doom 3" that's a bit fun to read in retrospective.

Linguica said:

Honest question, but why? What major features are we missing currently that we need to have?

One of the big draws about this current layout is that there's very little clutter.

The biggest thing Doomworld forum is missing is responsive design so it's more phone/tablet/etc friendly.

@OP, Doomworld looks shitty, but suggesting an even shittier looking site is a bad way to try and make your point.