Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomvaultboy

Other great sites for Doom discussion

While I agree on the phone/tablet compatibility, I do like the way the forums look, but I'm probably biased because black & blue are my two favorite colors (yeah, I know black isn't technically a color).

Kira said:

If you can say with a straight face that red text on black and text on a friggin yellow box is a good idea, I'll start to believe that indeed, eye-fatigue is a legend.

I don't think we're looking at the same website tbh. Sb has white text on grey, with some red thrown in but no red text. Unless you're talking about the banner at the top but there's still no "yellow box" there. Maybe your eyes are so fatigued from staring at this site for years that you're seeing different colors?

Go here and tell me where you see "red text on black" and "text on a friggin yellow box" http://sugarbombed.com/forums/

eargosedown said:

Honest question, but why? What major features are we missing currently that we need to have?

One of the big draws about this current layout is that there's very little clutter.

The biggest thing Doomworld forum is missing is responsive design so it's more phone/tablet/etc friendly.

@OP, Doomworld looks shitty, but suggesting an even shittier looking site is a bad way to try and make your point.

You're just so wrong if you're saying sb is shittier looking than this site. There's something to be said for minimalism I suppose, but as for overall looks, you have to be blind, stupid, ignorant, or all three to think this site is better looking in any way.

Gez said:

Okay, that's the final nail in the coffin. Not gonna visit that site and I hope it dies.

The wikia link is a broken link... I think it only linked to a site wikia page anyway made by site users

doomvaultboy said:

Text on a yellow box was changed to orange
Go here and tell me where you see "red text on black" and "text on a friggin yellow box" http://sugarbombed.com/forums/

Added an extra because I am an asshole, as you can tell:

Spoiler

And there's plenty other glaring things as well, but I was too lazy to point them all. Like black on red, and too much saturation here and there.

Also, cool you friggin jets. With this attitude you won't earn any new friend to talk with.

doomvaultboy said:

The wikia link is a broken link...

This. Our link points to the right wiki, and it ain't broken.

Doomworld 1, Sugarbombed 0

Zed said:

While I agree on the phone/tablet compatibility, I do like the way the forums look, but I'm probably biased because black & blue are my two favorite colors (yeah, I know black isn't technically a color).

Black is so a color you racist.

I don't think sugarbombed looks that bad, personally. It's probably not my favorite style, but it's far from garishly unreadable. And Doomworld's color scheme isn't some bastion of beauty or anything -- I've always kinda found it to be very muted and boring to look at. What do shades of blue really have to do with Doom anyways?

Pavera said:

I don't think sugarbombed looks that bad, personally. It's probably not my favorite style, but it's far from garishly unreadable. And Doomworld's color scheme isn't some bastion of beauty or anything -- I've always kinda found it to be very muted and boring to look at. What do shades of blue really have to do with Doom anyways?

Your impression is right: Doomworld's palette ain't an exciting one at all. But sb things I pointed murder my eyes at a glance. Perhaps I am more sensible to this than others, but I am confident you wouldn't want those sins in your portfolio if you wanted to land a webdesign job.

Well one of the very first things you see when you fire up Doom 1 is the blue carpet texture soooo

I like the 90's feel to It, It's more cozy to me.

But hey, I wouldn't mind a update to It, maybe replace the DOOM 3 link with a DOOM 2016 one, make the front page less abandoned.

doomvaultboy said:

You're just so wrong if you're saying sb is shittier looking than this site. There's something to be said for minimalism I suppose, but as for overall looks, you have to be blind, stupid, ignorant, or all three to think this site is better looking in any way.

Mixing of not reading optimized colors or contrasts, over abundance of images and contrasting/attention drawing colors, and large amounts of unnecessary buffering spaces. It's rubbish attempting to be "modern and stylish."

Doomworld is only of the very very very few good looking forums on the internet. And unfortunately the list of these forums is getting shorter and shorter with every year due to admins suddenly deciding to fix what isn't broken after 10+ years of doing just fine.

First I'll just say I love the forums the way they are and always have. Every other forum allows avatars and signatures with laughably huge images and custom titles that are like, longer than a fucking Twitter post.. So yes, I think the forums are fine as-is.

Suggestions incoming:

Far as the front page is concerned, just remove/move that doom3 speculation, and perhaps change or sort 'hosted sites' into 'historic sites', unless there are any that are still active, in which case they probably should just have their own little section. The 'source ports' and 'Utilities' sections are really in need of an update, moving the older links to the bottom and separating the fresh, currently-developed stuff to the top.

Other than that everything seems fine to me personally.

Edit: Maybe add 2 or 3 Doom2016 related images for the top left as well, just so newbies know the whole Doom gamut is covered (and because it would be pretty cool). All just suggestions, though. Other than that I really think the oldschool appearance is nice on the eyes and the data. A mobile version could be nice if done right, simply making text and links scaled better with little else in the way of changes. If it was to be made into its own app, notifications for PMs and such could be pretty nice too.

Doomkid said:

Edit: Maybe add 2 or 3 Doom2016 related images for the top left as well, just so newbies know the whole Doom gamut is covered (and because it would be pretty cool).

Yeah, now that you mention it that is kind of odd. I mean, 3DO Baron was up there in a matter of hours almost, but not even a Carlton dancing marine for the newest release in the series?

Re: why changing forum software: I did some work on a potential responsive theme for the current forum software, and in the process I realized I would have to change a LOT of stuff in the code to handle it. And at that point it is probably just a better idea in general to start with an actually modern forum codebase that isn't a giant pile of hacks on something that was already pretty shoddy to begin with. Plus the idea behind that particular forum is it uses a certain Python framework that looks like a decent starting point for doing a more general redesign of the website in general.

Oh man this discussion about changing things in Doomworld is making me nervous. I so used to it as it is right now.

Reminds me of that old Hershey's bar commercial that ended with this slogan...

Change is bad.

The Hershey bar, unchanged since 1899.

Kira said:

Added an extra because I am an asshole, as you can tell:

And there's plenty other glaring things as well, but I was too lazy to point them all. Like black on red, and too much saturation here and there.

Also, cool you friggin jets. With this attitude you won't earn any new friend to talk with.

Omg it's red because it's a fucking link, not sure what other color you could even make it. But you're right, how on earth can you use a forum that has red text on grey for links! Disgusting!

And the yellow thing is a banner that some people have, there are multiple banners so you run out of colors to use so you're stuck with that. Also the purple name you pointed to is purple because certain users can choose whatever color for their name, there's a lot more customization of your user experience on SB. I'm sorry but if those are sticking points for you then you are much more nitpicky than I am. Hell, I could sit here and nitpick about little things wrong with this sites design but I don't really care that much to do so

But you already have, why stop now?

doomvaultboy said:

Omg it's red because it's a fucking link, not sure what other color you could even make it.

Here's a thought, Blue

See, DoomWorld uses blue links because we support Democrats and the Crips while that other site supports Republicans and the Bloods. In all old games blue was the good guys and red were the bad ones... ipso facto that makes the other site inherently evil. Beware of the higher intensity cancer-waves radiating out of your screen over there.

Sugarbombed looks childish in my opinion. There're a lot of unnecessary stuff. All those large banners.. why do you need them anyway? To show how cool you're?

Linguica said:

Re: why changing forum software: I did some work on a potential responsive theme for the current forum software, and in the process I realized I would have to change a LOT of stuff in the code to handle it. And at that point it is probably just a better idea in general to start with an actually modern forum codebase that isn't a giant pile of hacks on something that was already pretty shoddy to begin with. Plus the idea behind that particular forum is it uses a certain Python framework that looks like a decent starting point for doing a more general redesign of the website in general.

I think this is great news. A step in the right direction!

Come on Vaultkid dont tell me you find these red links easy to read. I literally strained my eyes trying to read this.

doomvaultboy said:

there's a lot more customization of your user experience on SB.

I'm speaking for myself here, but I think this is not so cool. I see a lot of forums out there that look like a carnival because they give users too much freedom IMO, from 10+ lines signatures, enormous avatars, tons of colors, links... I just don't like it.

doomvaultboy said:

Omg it's red because it's a fucking link, not sure what other color you could even make it.

I was waking up in a bad mood and you made my day, thanks :D

Eh, links have always been blue by default.

And although the webpage in this image looks primitive, it's functional and doesn't try to out-smart your browser, leaving most control to he user for how things get rendered and such (HTML is markup language, not a fucking desktop publishing software!)

Good stuff. OP waltzes in, tells everybody that their favourite place sucks. When everybody is understandably not exactly enthused, acts like a petulant child. Viral marketing 101: that ain't gonna win you or the site you're advertising any friends.

Job well done. Sugarbomb should definitely give you a raise.

I checked out the Sugarbomb site and HOLY SHIT does It look like some 15 year old wanted to make a forum for all "the cool kidz loool" and hipsters.

Jesus, what has this world come to.

ITT: New guy links halfway unattractive website and suggests there may be a better way, all of Doomworld comes out of the woodwork to fall on the cross for DW's perfection of web design.

I've already quoted that today in another thread, but perfection is not when there's nothing else to add, it's when there's nothing else to take away. Doomworld's old-fashioned minimalism is pretty close to perfection this way.