Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomvaultboy

Other great sites for Doom discussion

Pavera said:

ITT: New guy links halfway unattractive website and suggests there may be a better way, all of Doomworld comes out of the woodwork to fall on the cross for DW's perfection of web design.

kuchitsu and maybe Fonze. Kontra Kommando says "it's fine as it is". I said the palette was boring. At least 5 people said an update is long overdue (counting Linguica). The rest? They like it but they think responsive design is in order.

Stop projecting.

Pavera said:

Struck a nerve there ;)

Defusing an inflammatory post before someone thinks it's true and it becomes poisonous to a thread where there's already one very angry guy. Carry on.

Pavera said:

... fall on the cross for DW's perfection of web design.

Kira said:

kuchitsu and maybe Fonze.

Wait a sec, my ancestors were the ones nailing people to the crosses; this is backward.

I'm starting to look for a new place to call home with regards to DOOM, myself.

I don't know about that place, though.

But I can't say I'm having a terrific time over here. Everybody's discussing DOOM-projects that I personally have absolutely fucking zero interest in, and it just gets worse and worse. I'm thinking that it actually was a shame that Doomnation and the like went under -- I think it's time for a reinvigoration of alternative sources of community and information that differs from this place, in my opinion, and to me.

gemini09 said:

Everybody's discussing DOOM-projects that I personally have absolutely fucking zero interest in, and it just gets worse and worse.

Well what kind of projects sound more like your cup of tea?

Apart from sites catering to specific ports and/or multiplayer, or foreign languages sites, I don't know many old school Doom places. There's Doom Wad Station, and there's the wadsinprogress site (but they had database problem and lost a lot of stuff).

hex11 said:

Well what kind of projects sound more like your cup of tea?

Tormentor667's new Wolfenstein-mod, and not another hundred million bajillion thousand "Boom-compatible" wads.

Yes, there are virtually no alternatives to Doomworld at this point, and that is where the tragedy lies, in my opinion.

gemini09 said:

Tormentor667's new Wolfenstein-mod, and not another hundred million bajillion thousand "Boom-compatible" wads.

Wouldn't the ZDoom forums and the likes more tailored to your needs?

Kira said:

Wouldn't the ZDoom forums and the likes more tailored to your needs?

Yes, perhaps. I've mainly been there to request help regarding modding and not to discuss or chat about the game or all other topics in general, but I see that they do have a dedicated board for general discussions and everything, so you might indeed be right.

Gez said:

I've already quoted that today in another thread, but perfection is not when there's nothing else to add, it's when there's nothing else to take away. Doomworld's old-fashioned minimalism is pretty close to perfection this way.

If this is perfection, than I don't want to be perfect!

gemini09 said:

I'm starting to look for a new place to call home with regards to DOOM, myself.

I don't know about that place, though.

But I can't say I'm having a terrific time over here. Everybody's discussing DOOM-projects that I personally have absolutely fucking zero interest in, and it just gets worse and worse. I'm thinking that it actually was a shame that Doomnation and the like went under -- I think it's time for a reinvigoration of alternative sources of community and information that differs from this place, in my opinion, and to me.

Tbh I think you should give SB a try, it really is a good community (regardless of how much of an asshole I'm apparently coming off as in this thread defending the site)

Tritnew said:

I checked out the Sugarbomb site and HOLY SHIT does It look like some 15 year old wanted to make a forum for all "the cool kidz loool" and hipsters.

Jesus, what has this world come to.

I'd come up with a response to this post but apparently responding in kind makes me the angry asshole. Oh well lol

Doominator2 said:

http://s32.postimg.org/k3h0f7e6c/eye_fatigue.jpg

Come on Vaultkid dont tell me you find these red links easy to read. I literally strained my eyes trying to read this.

I'd like to know what color you'd suggest. Blue would be just as hard to read. It can't be white because the text is white. Any other color would stick out horribly with the color pallete.

Regardless, I just don't think it's a big deal. If something as insignificant as the color of links makes you not want to go on a site, then that's your opinion I guess.

doomvaultboy said:

I'd come up with a response to this post but apparently responding in kind makes me the angry asshole. Oh well lol

Yes, that sounds like pack-mentality of the most repulsive kind.

What an asshole in your quote..

doomvaultboy said:

I'd like to know what color you'd suggest.

It's not so much the fact that it's red as much as how it's the perfectly worst possible shade of red to use, all desaturated and dim like it is.

Jaxxoon R said:

It's not so much the fact that it's red as much as how it's the perfectly worst possible shade of red to use, all desaturated and dim like it is.

still such a nitpicky thing. I never even took note of that before y'all brought it up, I guess my eyes are less sensitive.

Jaxxoon R said:

"A little harsh", aren't we?

It's to the point where I'd almost like to ask what the matter with you is.

gemini09 said:

What's the problem with "Boom-compatible" wads? You can still do interesting stuff with them, like Valiant for instance.

it's maybe the fact that as far as Doom levels go, it is incredibly oversaturated with Boom and Vanilla-style megawads. i can't really name any interesting ZDoom maps being made in recent years.

gemini09 said:

"A little harsh", aren't we?

It's to the point where I'd almost like to ask what the matter with you is.

The color blends in with the background. Link colors are typically chosen to stand out from the surrounding text, not to be hard to read.

And if you're going to lecture other posters about bad attitude, please lose yours first.

When links are hard to read, I begin to suspect security issues.

Doomhuntress said:

it's maybe the fact that as far as Doom levels go, it is incredibly oversaturated with Boom and Vanilla-style megawads. i can't really name any interesting ZDoom maps being made in recent years.

Mark's Hell on Earth megawad was pretty damn good and made extensive use of ZDoom features.

doomvaultboy said:

If something as insignificant as the color of links makes you not want to go on a site, then that's your opinion I guess.

I still dont understand why you think blue links would be just as hard to read, red links would be fine if the site had a background that didnt blend in with them so much.

Doomhuntress said:

it's maybe the fact that as far as Doom levels go, it is incredibly oversaturated with Boom and Vanilla-style megawads.

That's because vanilla is the default for Doom, the baseline, and a vanilla map runs fine on all ports. I'm not talking about the ones where they did something weird or fancy like 3D bridges and whatnot (those kind of hacks tend to be rare anyway, most people just want to make a map).
The easiest way to make maps is vanilla with limits removed, because it gives plenty of freedom to design stuff, but without getting overwhelmed or distracted by endless options. It even lets you use new textures, sprites, sounds, etc.
Going to the next level (advanced ports) is only necessary if your wad needs special features, like more linedef types, or some level of scripting that's beyond simple DeHackEd.

Still it's kinda strange. Remember the times when Doomworld was getting mega excited about new features, Simplicity, fresh releases by Tormentor667, Daedalus, RTC-whatever, etc? ZDoom seemed like the way to the future. I think even in the speedrunning forum there was a certain amount of ZDoom demos and that was considered normal (but Legacy was more popular for demos). So what happened?

Hey I just found a brand new website that talks about Doom. Its called Doomworld...

It didn't really hit me until now, but this thread title is not relevant to anything in the thread. The only other "great sites for Doom discussion" I know of besides Doomworld that still exist/are still active are the Zandronum, ZDoom and ZDaemon forums.. If there's other sites out there of a similar ilk, I'd love to be part of them.

esselfortium said:

And if you're going to lecture other posters about bad attitude, please lose yours first.

Hi. What are you referring to?

Oh yeah that totally looks legit, yeah. I think I'll click that link 48 times, just for good measure.

Please don't Ling.

Its bad enough that I have wait for a few seconds to let the page filled with gadgets load then see 5 mb was used to load that one single page, then to see that it was only the simple homepage then seeing my phone slow down immensely because it sucks and is using a lot of RAM/processor power.

I prefer the Doomworld we have here. Although it MIGHT use a new style. But then again you can do something similar with the Display Options given, no?

Eh, I really wouldn't go to SugarBomb, the colors hurt my eyes unlike here.

Then again, we can always lower our computer's brightness and call It a day, but I'd probably have the forum color be black for the layout and white for the text (like now), It fits I guess.

But doomvaultboy, I'm just being honest because I'm just honest, but that layout does look like It was made by a child who would put Comic Sans as texts In everything, I'd probably go with what I suggested for the layout, black for the layout where the posts are and white for the texts. Dunno about the rest of It though. And If that makes me an asshole for being honest, then I dunno what to say other then, go to the ZDoom forums or Zandronum forums.