Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dreamphaser

Technical question. deaths and interaction

I'm probably missing something, but i can't seem to figure out
how to let a door open once a group of demons died.

I'm having 4 imps in a room and i want a door to open when they ALL died.
I can do it with one, but can't find the solution for a group, so that
the door doesn't open when killing the first or second in that group.

Dreamphaser said:

I'm probably missing something, but i can't seem to figure out
how to let a door open once a group of demons died.

I'm having 4 imps in a room and i want a door to open when they ALL died.
I can do it with one, but can't find the solution for a group, so that
the door doesn't open when killing the first or second in that group.

I'm theorizing Here, but this can probably be accomplished by using the spawning function. Try to tie the door to that event as opposed to manually placed enemies.

does that mean that i wouldn't be able to choose my exact amount
and type of demons or am i overlooking something ?

If you want to do it manually (so without using a spawner and enabling lockdown in its properties) you will have to use a counter

Say you have four imps.

Set up a counter with a count of four and a start value of zero.

Link each death of your imps to this counter where you choose to increment it every time.

Now link your counter to the unlocking of your door with the option (event) of count reached.

Already used this principle a few times. Works fine. Especially if you want to manage a battle that spans several smaller modules and you want to specifically control which doors are part of the lockdown.

There are lots of ways to accomplish this logically, but since you have a fixed number of imps, the easiest is probably the following:

Add a counter and tie that to the door opening. Set the counter limit to 4. Tie each of your 4 imps to the counter and increment on death.

The door will open when the 4 imps die.

Here is a really really cool tip. You can use the same counter principle to spawn in more mobs half way the fight!

Say you have four imps. When two are slain you want to have a hellknight join the party. Create a new counter with the same principle (count of two) just to achieve this. It makes the fights feel very dynamic! (feels better then waves tbh)

Dont forget to include the hellknight in your total count though! ;)

I was having the same issue myself. Thanx to all posters for the really helpfull tips. Gonna get crackin' on making some nice maps of death now! 😈

redrage said:

Here is a really really cool tip. You can use the same counter principle to spawn in more mobs half way the fight!

Say you have four imps. When two are slain you want to have a hellknight join the party. Create a new counter with the same principle (count of two) just to achieve this. It makes the fights feel very dynamic! (feels better then waves tbh)

Dont forget to include the hellknight in your total count though! ;)

Nice. Yeah, I'm not really feeling the waves and this seems like a good way around it.

why not use a custom group encounter and spawn encounter/unlock door on finish? seems the simpler method.

eman29 said:

why not use a custom group encounter and spawn encounter/unlock door on finish? seems the simpler method.

It does, but not when you want the monsters too spawn in a more specific place. Some of my rooms are also actually made up of small modules.

Zemini said:

It does, but not when you want the monsters too spawn in a more specific place. Some of my rooms are also actually made up of small modules.

Exactly. Its all well and good when you do the "standard" stuff inside a single module at a time. Start combining multiple smaller modules together in single rooms/area's and stuff gets exponentially more difficult.

My level is an absolute fucking spiderweb of triggers and nodes just to manage the encounters and set manual checkpoints because of this. Do not underestimate how hard stuff gets when you try to do anything slightly "unconventional".