Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hardcore_gamer

The campaign is too long

I never thought I would complain about there being such thing as too much Doom but I think the campaign is actually dragging on for too long. I am at Titan's core and at this point I just feel rather bored. I had great fun at first but I feel the game is guilty of padding at this point. I have 17 hours clocked in according to steam and while I admit some of this time was spent messing with snapmap and a bit of multiplayer most of it is the campaign. And as far as I can tell there is still a good bunch left.

I think they game would have benefited from a bit of trimming, with the less interesting parts being cut out.

Anyone else feels the campaign drags on for too long?

Obviously you are entitled to you opinion and I'll fight any man who says you are not, but seriously?

In a world of 2 hour campaigns (40 minutes of that being cut scenes) you are complaining that the campaign is too long?

I just can't believe what I'm reading.

I have 22 hours clocked in(I die a lot) and I'm a bit further than you, but so far the campaign has been sick as hell. Every level is so creative and different than the other, there is a lot of variety of interesting arenas. I know I am close to the ending but I don't want it to end. I think there's a lot of value and great content in the game, totally worth the money.

No way! Most people find it short. For my limited time it was just right. But I can say it's more on the shorter side but still enough content and later secrets and upgrades to find in second plays.

p.s. It's strange when gaming sites talk about game length and they say such things like "We have jobs, families, children, no time any more for long games, please give us shorter games!" as if there weren't families, children and grown up people with jobs at the 80s-90s. But yeah, they say the demographics have changed, so maybe longer games are for the new generations. Or is it? They have more pressure too? It's like it wasn't the same in the 90s, finishing school/university, getting a job, not being sure about your future? Anyway,. rants!

p.p.s. I don't care if a game is long. If it's long I just take more time to play it. It's not like one should be hastened to finish a game and see the final glorious cinematics and move on to the next game.

If Doom was only 4-6 hours long, I'd be pissed. Took me about 17 hours to finish. I thought it was long enough. Can't wait for the sequel.

hardcore_gamer said:

I never thought I would complain about there being such thing as too much Doom but I think the campaign is actually dragging on for too long. I am at Titan's core and at this point I just feel rather bored. I had great fun at first but I feel the game is guilty of padding at this point. I have 17 hours clocked in according to steam and while I admit some of this time was spent messing with snapmap and a bit of multiplayer most of it is the campaign. And as far as I can tell there is still a good bunch left.

I think they game would have benefited from a bit of trimming, with the less interesting parts being cut out.

The game has only been out for two+ days, me I'm savoring the flavor, had only played a few hours a day or so. I've clocked 8 hrs on steam. I've heard the game is beatable in usually under 12 hours, so I'd like it to last almost a week. Or at least 4 days for the first play.

If now you're saying it's too long, what happens when you beat it and want more in a couple weeks? Maybe spread it out a bit.

You say you believe it's padded, but you fail to give examples. I think we can all agree you're not a huge fan of the game.

I think some of the other posters are accurate. It's to early. You just had a post about snap map and later found out you were wrong. I wanna know why you think it's padded.

hardcore_gamer said:

Fuck no. GTFO with that shit.

Seriously though, how is too much Doom a bad thing? I wish there was MORE. So you think its dragging on too long? How about a break for a few days and come back fresh and ready to kill.

I wish the campaign was twice as long. Its so goddamn good. Even the filler parts.

IMHO, the Mastermind does not Flip Flop enough!

Also: I think the campaign is very good regarding length.
There was one level where I thought "uh...another arena, okay, let's get this over with."
Luckily, shortly after came "The Necropolis"...Tricks and Traps and Dead Simple in one level, and everything was good again :)

(allthough I think some the hell levels - at least to me - seemed to be not as thought-out regarding the level experience than the Mars levels. That's why I would have loved one hell level consisting of an outpost from the UAC, which was overtaken/overgrown by Hell...then again, there are rumours of Deimos/Phobos DLCs)

The length of campaign is perfect.

Wished the last boss had a second stage tho.

Trycon said:

The length of campaign is perfect.

Wished the last boss had a second stage tho.

CAn you kill Mastermind with one BFG shoot like in original?

If you think DOOM is bad, then don't ever play the original Unreal, haha. That's probably the lengthiest FPS in gaming history. It just goes on for fricken ever.

In all seriousness though, while I can understand where you're coming from, I think you're a bit harsh. I mean, 17 hours? With a couple of hours in SnapMap - say 15 hours in campaign? That's nothing.

But, if the game bores you, then it bores you, no matter how long or short it is, and maybe that's where the problem lies - too repetitive and predictable?

In a time where most single player campaign is like 5 hours long, having a long single player is very welcome.

Okay

People were saying the game would be too short. Now you're saying it's too LONG?

You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all the time.

And 15 hours? That's nothing. Try playing an RPG some time. THAT is long.

The game follows a pretty solid UAC/Hell pattern back and forth. It goes through this three times, and I kinda wish it had just one more repetition to round things out.

You should request a namechange from "hardcore_gamer" to "filthy_casual", OP.

After a long weekend with family events and random amounts of time to play, I'm finally at the Cyberdemon. About how far am I through the game? Because I feel like it's gotta be close to the end.. if not.... AWESOME! :D