Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
MINDDomakr

My Review

Alright, this is my review for Doom 4 since I don't want to call it DOOM or DOOM 2016. I'll use whatever name I want. I've put 10 hours into the game so far.

I'll start off by saying that I waited for this game for about a year and a half, wondering how good it was going to be. I'm new to Doom. I've only played a bit of Doom 3, a few hours on the Classic Doom's and that's about it.

I'm going to get a lot of flack for this but besides the modding aspect, I don't see how the first 2 Dooms were THAT good. For the time they might have been but this game plays much better. The Original Doom had it's fare share of problems that are largely overlooked due to nostalgia. Sometimes the over 40 crowd will find the SMALLEST shit to complain about. It's 2016, not 1993. Things have changed. Change with it and adapt or get left behind.

I figured that this game would have big shoes to fill and I was a bit worried. You know when you just start a game and you get that "feeling" that your in love. Well, it was here with this game.

That said, this game was absolutely amazing and I breathed a sigh of relief when I tried each game mode.

Positives:

- The Soundtrack. Oh. My God. Short of Trent Reznor making it himself like he did for Quake 1, the Industrial/Dark Ambient/slightly metallish NIN sounding soundtrack for this game fits it so well. Big thanks to Mick Gordon and I hope an OST is released. It WOULD have been awesome if Trent made the soundtrack though.

- Movement. The movement is really well paced like in the original Dooms. You can get a Rune that lets you run REALLY fast so you can't complain that the game "isn't fast enough".

- Gore. This game is violent as FUCK. More so than brutal doom. I found myself wincing at some points. This game gets points for how violent and gruesome it is.

- Environments. The maps for single player are absolutley huge and wonderfully detailed. Filled with secrets, Praetor tokens, and everything in between, I'm definetley going to go back and collect all of them when I'm finished the campaign fully.

- Multiplayer. Regardless of what the mass sea of idiots will tell you, the multiplayer is fun and engaging. I had a BLAST deathmatching with friends, using all the weapons, and the maps are SO fucking nice to look at. So much detail put into them. There are multiple modes to choose from which should make this game stay alive for a long time to come. Great Arena FPS feeling to it. It plays like Unreal Tournament 4.

- Weapons. Every weapon is present and accounted for and feels excellent and LOOKS even better.

- Move or Die.

On nightmare mode, you better move and move quick or else you'll find yourself ripped to shreds. It really is a challenge.

- Graphics

I have a GTX 780 and the graphics were beautiful. Smooth as silk. Pouring with detail. Although my graphics card isn't the best I could play it on Ultra without it crashing with minimal screen tearing.

Negatives:

- The announcer on multiplayer is really annoying. He sounds like a pussy.

- Not enough modding/mapping tools. The ONLY thing this game needs to make it a perfect 10/10 are modding tools that are more elaborate and let you add in outdoor arenas, graphics, and textures, sounds, etc, like the original Dooms. SnapMap isn't that bad but a tool kit is much needed. Hopefully we will see this sometime down the road.

This game get's a WELL DESERVED and SOLID 9 out of 10 from me.

Outstanding.

You could have easely avoided all "classic Dooms have problems" BS, it is not required at all!
But it's great that you enjoyed Doom 4! Your review is more of an emotional nature and could've been more in to details of important things like mechanics and stuff)
But hey...it's great that you have enjoyed it a lot)

id.dav said:

You could have easely avoided all "classic Dooms have problems" BS, it is not required at all!
But it's great that you enjoyed Doom 4! Your review is more of an emotional nature and could've been more in to details of important things like mechanics and stuff)
But hey...it's great that you have enjoyed it a lot)

An emotional nature?

I thought it was pretty mechanical.

I already spoke about the graphics, gameplay, guns, and all that shit.

I think you got offended because I said something bad about Doom 1 and 2. I mean, sure the game is good, but let's face it. It's dated and not as in depth as Doom 4. Doom 4 took Doom 1 and 2 and made it better.