Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

A bad impression from poor performance?

Running at 30..60fps on a i5-2500 8GM GTX 650Ti(2GM) at 720p. Default settings work fine on most levels, but a few levels such as Foundry required me to drop to low settings and antialiasing.

I've been getting 30+ FPS on my i7-3630 / GTX 670MX after installing the game-ready GeForce drivers and dropping down to medium settings and 1600x900. Probably could tweak it a bit more for better results, but it's already a bit better than what I was expecting from this laptop. I might drop down to 720p next time and see how that looks.

However, like Bucket, I do tend to notice slowdown during heavy combat, which kind of sucks.

I think there's something in particular about that first Hell level that absolutely slaughters my machine. The levels before and after it play much more smoothly. Weird.

I dropped down to 720p and it's been running noticeably better (40-60+ FPS, less/no slowdown that I've noticed). I just got to the first Hell level so I'll see how things continue to run from here, but so far so good.

Anduu said:

Could you define "miserable"...my specs are worse than that and I find it quite playable with everything turned down and it still looks good.

It's like, at 1080p, high settings, getting like 25 or less fps. So then I start tweaking settings between high/medium, and maybe only gain a few FPS.

Which is weird, as I've seen others say they get better fps on a 750ti on hi @1080p (like 40+)

Updated her machines NVidia drivers, chipset drivers. It's got a i7 2600k, oc'd, plenty of RAM, win10 is on a ssd, data and games on different hdd. Can't figure out whether it really is just how badly that card sucks, or if it's something else.

I need to do more testing but I have noticed that turning the virtual paging up doesn't actually have a negative impact on performance, even so much that it might have a positive impact. It defaults to Ultra anyway so I figure there might be something to that with some hardware configurations. Perhaps CPU related?

sponge said:

Hold off on buying a card until the Vulkan renderer gets released at least, and see what kind of perf gain you get from there. You'll also be able to pickup some 900 series cards on the cheap as the 1000 series comes out.

Best advice in the thread right here.

Vulkan will bump you up I'd guess at least 18% on the Nvidia side. If you must pull the trigger on a new card, Pick up the cheapest GTX 960/R9 380 you can (bear in mind that a R9 380 is a rebranded R9 280, which in turn is a rebranded hd 7950). Avoid the GTX 970. Google GTX 970 3.5gb and see for yourself how much of a joke it is...

Performance has been poor up to this point on the AMD side for Doom 4, but a hotfix was released today that seems to bump AMD performance by 35% in Doom 4 across the board. Crimson Version 16.5.2.1 I believe...

If you are a FOSS/GNU/Linux guy like myself, don't buy Nvidia strictly out of principle. Nvidia has been kicking Linux Gaming in the balls a lot, and have even implemented built in driver halts (code 43 errors) for anyone attempting to use vga-passthrough to a guest Windows VM - which is a slap in the face to me, since I run Windows 10 under QEMU-KVM on top of Debian.

My spec for Doom is just under the Minimum, it seems, but when I bought it on the 13th and tried it, it seemed to run, albeit chugging a fair bit, especially at the beginning with the Bethesda and id animations which took about three minutes to play through, with them being mostly paused.

My memory is 8Gb and the HDD is 500Gb, so they should be no issue, but my CPU is an i3-4150 and my GFX card is a GeForce GTX 650 Ti.

I was able to play the first few rooms, but my GFX card was whining like mad and I didn't really want to push it too hard, so I quit the game and ordered a refund.

And now, after what I've read here, I'm glad I did as I think I'll need a new PC entirely for this game.

So I've been playing Doom on an AMD FX-4100, 4GB of DDR3 RAM and a GTX 660Ti and it actually works. I'm using lowest graphic settings and only 720p. During larger fights the game runs at an average 30-35 fps (which I can live with) and it can reach up to 90fps when there are no enemies around.
On some occasions when I enter a new area or a level starts the games stutters extremly for a few seconds which may be caused by loading but other than that I haven't really had any problems with low (= unplayable) fps.

Xeliv said:

So I've been playing Doom on an AMD FX-4100, 4GB of DDR3 RAM and a GTX 660Ti and it actually works. I'm using lowest graphic settings and only 720p. During larger fights the game runs at an average 30-35 fps (which I can live with) and it can reach up to 90fps when there are no enemies around.
On some occasions when I enter a new area or a level starts the games stutters extremly for a few seconds which may be caused by loading but other than that I haven't really had any problems with low (= unplayable) fps.

How much memory does your GTX 660Ti have? My 650Ti only has 1Gb.

Foebane72 said:

How much memory does your GTX 660Ti have? My 650Ti only has 1Gb.

The 660 Ti has 2GB of memory.

Just to clarify, when I got my 650Ti a few years back, I was looking for the cheapest card with 4GM of memory, so it may be a non-standard variant.

System information:
Total availiable graphics memory: 4096MB
Dedicated video memory: 2048MB GDDR5

The fans cetainly kick in while playing DOOM, and I'm wary of pushing this rig on a hot summers day. I should also note that I'm running Windows7. I'm no tech expert, but I get the impression that Windows10 is a bit of a resource hog, and DOOM appears to be equally hungry.

Urthar said:

Just to clarify, when I got my 650Ti a few years back, I was looking for the cheapest card with 4GM of memory, so it may be a non-standard variant.

System information:
Total availiable graphics memory: 4096MB
Dedicated video memory: 2048MB GDDR5

From what I've found it seems you have Gigabyte's OC version of the 650.

Urthar said:

The fans cetainly kick in while playing DOOM, and I'm wary of pushing this rig on a hot summers day. I should also note that I'm running Windows7. I'm no tech expert, but I get the impression that Windows10 is a bit of a resource hog, and DOOM appears to be equally hungry.

As far as I know the difference in gaming performance between Win 7 and 10 is only ~1% in favor of Windows 10 so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you're concerned about your PC overheating you could use a program to monitor your system's temperatures.

Xeliv said:

From what I've found it seems you have Gigabyte's OC version of the 650.
As far as I know the difference in gaming performance between Win 7 and 10 is only ~1% in favor of Windows 10 so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. If you're concerned about your PC overheating you could use a program to monitor your system's temperatures.

It's an ASUS dual fan card, so I'm reasonably confident in it, but yeah I do have SpeedFan installed to monitor temperatures.

My rig is a Phenom II X4 945 at 3 ghz with 8 gigs of ram. The downside is the gpu which is a measly nvidia geforce GT 430 with 1 gig of memory. Despite that, if I start the pc with a clean boot - shutting off all services and programs but what it needs to actually run, the game plays slow but not horrible - actually not bad. So, yes, an upgrade is in my future. lol

Interesting. I told a friend he wouldn't be able to play it on his EVGA GT720 (which oddly has better specs than most 730s) but I may have to check it out.

What's the best budget GFX card for Doom, then? I hear that the GTX 750 Ti is a no-no, for some reason, and yet I had that in my sights.

So what GFX card should I get for this game?

Foebane72 said:

What's the best budget GFX card for Doom, then? I hear that the GTX 750 Ti is a no-no, for some reason, and yet I had that in my sights.

Probably, for best performance, I would think find a deal on Newegg for a 4 gig PCIe

^ With respect, that explains nothing.

Foebane72 said:

http://www.techspot.com/review/1173-doom-benchmarks/page2.html

Assuming the rest of your system is up to spec, if you want 60fps @ ultra settings and 1080p you'll need at least a GTX 960 or an R9 380. If you're fine with lowering your settings, plenty of much cheaper options are available. Get the best you can afford.

DoomUK said:

Assuming the rest of your system is up to spec

No, my CPU is only an i3, but I fail to see why I need a faster CPU. The only disadvantage is that I would never get the full framerate, but who cares about that?

Foebane72 said:

GTX 950 or better.

r_init: getpostnumberforname: post not found!

Edited by Justince

Justince said:

Again, the GPU is only part of the equation. If you're going to go out of your way to upgrade your video card why not do it right and get a better processor. The game will NOT perform well on an i3, no matter what kind of GPU you have.

In that case, I think a new PC will suffice, as my present one is old-ish anyway.

Foebane72 said:

No, my CPU is only an i3, but I fail to see why I need a faster CPU. The only disadvantage is that I would never get the full framerate, but who cares about that?

I seriously doubt that an i3 would be able to play this game. I think minimum they recommend a quad core. And, to put it in perspective. I have a Phenom II X4 with 8 gigs of ram and the game still needs a better gpu - even on the low end, I have to upgrade my power supply from a 400 watt to a 500 watt for the requirements of the processor.

Brad_tilf said:

I seriously doubt that an i3 would be able to play this game.

Edward850 said:

I'm running a evga-GTX670 with a i3-6100, 8GB DDR3 which by all means should be at least comparable. There's a bit of infighting with the system page file because the campaign wants 5GB RAM, but it only affects multi-tasking at worst. Running at "medium" settings at full 1920x1080.

An i3 is demonstrably fine.

Linguica said:

So my computer is maybe four years old or so and while it can run DOOM, the experience is not great (I had to turn the resolution down significantly and it's still probably nowhere near 60 fps). I'm up to the first hell level and I am finding that I am not really enjoying myself at all, maybe because the performance seems to be even worse on that map.

You might just be sick of the combat arenas at this point.

With this affordable config I can play at 1080p 60fps constants on Ultra settings:

Case: Thermaltake Core V1
• Motherboard: ASUS H110I Plus D3
• CPU: Intel Core i5-6400
• RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 2x8 GB, 1600 MHz, DDR3L
• HDD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO, SATA III 2,5" 250 GB
• GPU: Zotac GTX 970 (reference)
• PSU: Thermaltake Smart SE 630W (modular)

I started with 8 GB of RAM and a Gigabyte GTX 960 4GB OC, spending a total of 600€ and I'm sure it was yet OK to play DOOM fluidly.
I switched to a GTX 970 only 'cause I found a good deal (207 € NEW).

antiriad said:

With this affordable config I can play at 1080p 60fps constants on Ultra settings:

Case: Thermaltake Core V1
• Motherboard: ASUS H110I Plus D3
• CPU: Intel Core i5-6400
• RAM: Kingston HyperX FURY 2x8 GB, 1600 MHz, DDR3L
• HDD: Samsung SSD 850 EVO, SATA III 2,5" 250 GB
• GPU: Zotac GTX 970 (reference)
• PSU: Thermaltake Smart SE 630W (modular)

I started with 8 GB of RAM and a Gigabyte GTX 960 4GB OC, spending a total of 600€ and I'm sure it was yet OK to play DOOM fluidly.
I switched to a GTX 970 only 'cause I found a good deal (207 € NEW).

Great system!