Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Orchid87

If id is going to do Quake next, then...

They should do Quake 1 sequel/reboot.
We had many Quake games about Stroggs already and Doom is pretty much the same space marine vs half-cybernetic monsters on a red planet stuff.

I am dying to see Quake 1 reboot with gothic, lovecraftian locations and monsters on a new engine.

Agree 100%. New ode to cosmic horror... I'm skeptical they'd be able to come anywhere near to the nightmarish atmosphere Quake did. For it to be done right, it'd be like the first True Detective season, appealing to a minority.

Not sure about that detective thing. But quake 1 back then was heavily critiszed and was called as "DooM 3". So in my opinion, something horror themed but at the same time fast paced. If you think about it, the new doom retains almost ALL of quake 1s aethetics and gameplay. So they better suprise us how theyre going to do it and hope it succeeds.

I would love that. But wasn't reason Quake 2 onward being so different from Quake due to copyright issues? Hopefully that's been sorted out if so.. Because a Quake 1 remake would be awesome.

That was only down to naming. Every name they wanted to use for Quake 2 was already taken, even the rather silly title of "Wor." So they just called it Quake 2.

If id going to do Quake next it must be KILLER fps. I really hope they still remember so basically Quake was a game about duels on rocket launchers and rocket jumps.

I'd rather see it as more of a fast-paced melee-focused horror RPG like Romero's initial plan than anything else, really. Having just a Doom with Lovecraft monsters like the original Quake, as good a game as it was, would be a really silly move today, especially immediately following Doom 4. I just think they'd be better off differentiating their IPs and developing their individual themes/mechanics bit more. It'd also be nice to see maybe a mobile Keen game made sometime, for old time's sake.

Also they could take some notes from Dark Souls and Bloodborne for the locations and monsters designs.

I'm not anti console, but for Quake to be done right, it must be PC only, unless they can figure out how bunny hops and shit would work on a controller.

Already posted this in another thread but chech this out:

A Quake reboot would be sweet with really dark and moody atmosphere similar to Bloodborne! That would be fucking great! But honestly what I really want to see is a completely new Quake game! New universe, new enemies and all that stuff. iD showed with this new Doom that they still got it! They still can make a fantastic shooter. The combat in this game is superb and I want to see iD do even better in their next game. If iD would announce a new Quake I would lose my mind!

Given how Bethesda handled the Doom 4 multiplayer I'd be worried about a Quake reboot, even if it's something I'd love to see.

It's fair to say that redoing Quake and doing justice to QuakeWorld would be something not taken on lightly.

Ossi said:

Given how Bethesda handled the Doom 4 multiplayer I'd be worried about a Quake reboot, even if it's something I'd love to see.

It's fair to say that redoing Quake and doing justice to QuakeWorld would be something not taken on lightly.

The multiplayer was outsourced. Really bad decision. The difference in gameplay and design from the multiplayer and the singleplayer in Doom 2016 is staggering.

PureSlime said:

The multiplayer was outsourced. Really bad decision. The difference in gameplay and design from the multiplayer and the singleplayer in Doom 2016 is staggering.

Yeah to Certain Affinity, which was a terrible idea. Although given the absolutely crushing response to the MP beta we can hope it's not a mistake they would do again.

It's more frustrating than anything because like seriously...

How difficult would it have been to just make a classic style multiplayer? Even if it was just a separate gameplay mode?

If they go near Quake, they'll really have to do some in-depth consultation with the Quake Live team.

Because if singleplayer was the main focus of Doom 2016, multiplayer has to be the focus of a new Quake game. Otherwise, the Quake community would probably literally implode.

PureSlime said:

It's more frustrating than anything because like seriously...

How difficult would it have been to just make a classic style multiplayer? Even if it was just a separate gameplay mode?

If they go near Quake, they'll really have to do some in-depth consultation with the Quake Live team.

Because if singleplayer was the main focus of Doom 2016, multiplayer has to be the focus of a new Quake game. Otherwise, the Quake community would probably literally implode.

I'd say it needs to be 50/50 equal parts single and multiplayer.
Most importantly, they need to play the same way and not have arbitrary restrictions like Doom's has.

Each Quake game is different, i love Quake 1 and Quake 2 (SP) so much i would prefer a Quake 1 styled quake more cause there is nothing like that anymore....

I agree with the idea of a Quake 1 reboot!

I've had ENOUGH of the the weird Quake series, starting out as medievel Lovecraftian(did I use that right?) shooter, then a futuristic Strogg shooter, then some arena shooter involving Vadrigar gods and characters from other media, etc.
Not that they aren't fun, but I still prefer Quake 1 over the "successors"(hah, you know how a baby imprints on the first being it sees, its like that).

Voros said:

I agree with the idea of a Quake 1 reboot!

I've had ENOUGH of the the weird Quake series, starting out as medievel Lovecraftian(did I use that right?) shooter, then a futuristic Strogg shooter, then some arena shooter involving Vadrigar gods and characters from other media, etc.
Not that they aren't fun, but I still prefer Quake 1 over the "successors"(hah, you know how a baby imprints on the first being it sees, its like that).

i always dont think about Quake 4 somehow, maybe cause it sucks for me. the music was so hilariously bad, the game was a mix from doom3 (corridorshooter) and consoleshooter and the whole being a strogg wa so laughable. best was the BIG Jetpack baby boss.... i dunno why raven fucked it up so hard. everything was so pussified... a soldier of fortune 3 would be awesome.

You can't just take Quake and remake it. The original Quake was a highly coincidental product: John Romero wanted a fantasy gothic FPS (ogres, wizards, battle axes), John Carmack wanted another Doom clone, but this time in true 3D (futuristic soldier fights against monsters from another dimension), and Sandy Petersen added the Lovecraft influence to the mix.

The interdimensional slipgate plot just served as a rather cheap excuse to pull all these disjointed elements together.

A new Quake game with lovecraftian design would be great, but it would have to be heaviliy re-imagined.

Jaxxoon R said:

I'd rather see it as more of a fast-paced melee-focused horror RPG like Romero's initial plan than anything else, really. Having just a Doom with Lovecraft monsters like the original Quake, as good a game as it was, would be a really silly move today, especially immediately following Doom 4. I just think they'd be better off differentiating their IPs and developing their individual themes/mechanics bit more.

I second this opinion so hard.

I just want to see Id show me that they can do something different from sci-fi techbase themed shooters. I've been sick of seeing obvious Doom elements in every non-Doom game they released since Doom 2 for such a long time.

Doom'16's gameplay mechanics give me hope that the new Id team might have the creative spark to pull off something new and different, while still making it a great FPS experience.

Just make it full-on Lovecraftian, ditch the Satanic symbols (replace those with scary depictions of the Elder Gods and their minions or stuff like that), and come up with a different plot than the crappy rehash of Doom's teleporter-gone-bad plot the original had (I dunno, maybe some dunce found the Necronomicon, recited passages from it and it attracted the ire of the Elder Gods).

Isn't there a Lovecraft story where he describes vast subterranean realms, inhabited by an ancient race and horrific beings? I would love an FPS that takes this as a backtrop.

They should really just combine both Quake 1 and Quake 2/4.
Start off like a typical Sci Fi shooter against the Strogg, then at some point all of it goes straight medieval, through portals; you start fighting Strogg in these dark dank castles with all these zombies and cthulhu-like creatures duking it out.
Pay homage to both game's settings and get a real huge variety of locations and enemies.
All those high tech guns you found in the Sci Fi environments are brought with you, but there's no ammo laying around anywhere, so once you run out of ammo you start using axes, crossbows, etc

Tetzlaff said:

Isn't there a Lovecraft story where he describes vast subterranean realms, inhabited by an ancient race and horrific beings? I would love an FPS that takes this as a backtrop.

I think that's the plot of every Lovecraft story...:D

wheresthebeef said:

They should really just combine both Quake 1 and Quake 2/4B.
Start off like a typical Sci Fi shooter against the Strogg, then at some point all of it goes straight medieval, through portals; you start fighting Strogg in these dark dank castles with all these zombies and cthulhu-like creatures duking it out.
Pay homage to both game's settings and get a real huge variety of locations and enemies.

That's not a bad idea, but I think Adrian Carmack's art really shined in the first quake game (doom 3 as well, and the first two Dooms, but I'm not sure how much of Doom 3 was Andy Chang's or others work), and looking at Doom '16 I'm not sure they have those kind of moody, serious artists on board their team. For me the look of Adrian's art, even in Kingpin, was a major draw.

gamul312 said:

That's not a bad idea, but I think Adrian Carmack's art really shined in the first quake game (doom 3 as well, and the first two Dooms, but I'm not sure how much of Doom 3 was Andy Chang's or others work), and looking at Doom '16 I'm not sure they have those kind of moody, serious artists on board their team. For me the look of Adrian's art, even in Kingpin, was a major draw.

Well, they could always hire additional artists who may have a knack for the kind of art you're looking for?

Another possibility is that the current artists just went for a specific style that they thought would fit Doom better? Artists have been known to be versatile in the past.