Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

i spent $600 today just to play the new doom.

Ive been away from gaming for quite some time now. This is the first console I ever bought, and the latest one I played was Xbox 360 when it was new which my brother bought right before he moved out. I always hear people talking about assassins creed and fallout and dark souls and borderlands and I have no idea what those games are like and all I've been playing has been doom 2 for the last 10 years so I'm expecting this to be a wild ride.

So with a few days of hesitation shortly after release, I went to Gamestop with my debit card firmly grasped in my hand and willfully emptied my bank account just to play doom.

Ive been reading about Doom getting a lot of flak for poor performance issues on PC and I didn't want to risk dampening my experience by playing it on my sucky computer so I went to Gamestop with my debit card grasped firmly in my hand and willfully emptied my bank account in one evening.

I bought the PS4 cod black ops bundle, traded the game back in for $10 store credit and proceeded to buy a second controller, a couple adventure games for my wife and I to play, a Playstation plus one year online subscription and Doom.

Setting up the unit in our living room, updating the software, creating our profiles, enabling online play, and installing(?) Doom on the system took about two hours. Boy how things have changed.

My wife and I played Doom on the easiest skill first, which was a mistake, but ill get into it later. I wanted the game to be playable for her so we agreed to play on easy. Though she didn't get into the game much because the controls were complicated. She's not very interested in the two thumbsticks for moving approach and it was a bit of a learning curve even for me, as well. So I spent a majority of the time playing it myself while she helped me navigate.

I only got up to the second level before I started to get bored. Every attack the monsters did on me did less than 5% damage with the exception of instant death things like standing under heavy machinery or falling off a cliff, which was much more punishing for some reason. Doing glory kills was a whole lot faster and easier than even using your guns at all, which made the game feel kinda pointless too.

I later decided to start over and switch to Ultra Violence, and by then I was more adjusted to the controls and things started to feel more natural. Glory kills are required to keep your health up and they're trickier to get when monsters actually have a shot at killing you. So if anyone hasn't played yet I'd highly recommend just going for hard and powering through it, because playing on easy gives you the same enemies without being clear about how any of the game mechanics assist you.

As someone who is pretty seasoned at finding ask the obscure secrets in a 1994 doom wad, those same skills didn't translate very well in this new environment. I kept getting distracted by all the insignificant details like junk on the floor, the shimmering gloss of the blood stains, and animating screens in front of computers and doors that always say access denied, while somehow completely neglecting the glowing colored doors that require a key. The whole concept of basic door/key color coding is lost when there are plenty of other more complex actions like operating holograms and prying doors open with your hands that are just as commonplace.

From watching the gameplay videos many months ago I was more than ready to get addicted to hopping and climbing over things. Though in my experience so far I'm having trouble getting a hang on what you are allowed and not allowed to do. I found plenty pipes, crates, ledges, and other things that looked very easy to clamber over but had no such luck. I wish I had some demos to show off my hilarious platforming deaths that seemed like I had good reason to assume I'd survive. I think I'll get the hang of it in time though.

There are enough times where the gameplay freezes to explain complex details about gameplay. The worst offender of course was the glory kill introduction that stopped the game just before fighting the first fucking enemy outside the start area so you could read a paragraph in size 10 font on how to play. (The small font sizes are a pretty big problem for ps4s emphasis on HD in general though; it's very legible but I definitely can't see it from 10 feet away from my tv) I was hoping I could get away with adapting to the game myself without stopping to read any of the instructions but the chainsaw confused the hell out of me.

I am however having a lot of fun now that I switched over to a more difficult skill setting that makes the mechanics of the game more apparent and in turn, fun. I'm enjoying myself so far but as a doom veteran I'm finding there to be a pretty distinct learning curve adapting to the modernisms of games and technology today.

40oz said:

There are enough times where the gameplay freezes to explain complex details about gameplay.

Then turn off tutorials.

Sounds like you might like Uncharted 4 with the climbing and great graphics. Also Infamous: Second Son and maybe Ratchet & Clank. All good games. Bloodborne is a challenge and from the Dark Souls guys, but exclusive to the system. Driveclub is a pretty good racer (great graphics as well), and Until Dawn might be a good horror game to get. (Just offering some recommendations for your new system).

Maybe check out Journey too, the indie on the store. Lots of good smaller games on PSN. Alienation is an intense overhead shooter that came out recently.

DooM_RO said:

The game is easy even on UV. Nightmare is the best one.

I sort of find UV to be more of medium (I may try some of the lower ones at some point just to see how they play out). As far as I can tell, as long as you stay on the move, and don't end up doing something that would more than likely get you killed, then more than likely you will survive (which I have done a few times, I died a couple times from being near explosive barrels and pitfalls).

First off, congratulations on getting a console and the right one at that(not trying to start a war, but really wtf does XBox have in exclusives or do better than the PS4 in multiplatform games).

As far as modern FPS gaming, this is pretty lenient in terms of tutorials compared to most. I pretty much quit modern FPS games due to regenerating health, handholding and severe lack of level design. The tutorials stop after level 2 or 3 I believe, youll get used to the mechanics pretty quickly.

As far as looking for secrets compared to old games, its almost completely different. Most of the stuff in this game, such as those visual details, are nothing more than that. Outside of the Classic map unlockables and some of the "obvious" routes like opening doors with your hands, if its not highlighted in blue you probably cant interact with it.

As for your platforming issues. First, almost everything that can be grabbed when it comes to risking death or progressing in the level is highlighted by green rectangular markers, as are some secrets. The rest is all kinda obvious stuff such as crates. If its not a flat ledge you cant grab it, though you can walk on some pipes.

You will get a good amount of upgrades that help a lot, just check your menu to see what they do.

Playing this game on easy was a mistake, I saw some dude from Polygon playing it and he kept getting hit by Imps over and over but lost like no health wheras I died in the first Imp battle(I was more in awe of the animations and movement, plus trying to get used to the speed).

Always go into battle with as much Armor as possible, it actually has a use in this game. The chainsaw is nothig more than a mechanic to get ammo when you run out of it in battle really, just like glory kills are used to get health.

As for PS4 games and recommendations. Well first off every game you buy either physically or digitally has to install before you play it, though you can play the first portion of the game while the rest is installing or downloading. Physical discs are literally nothing more than a CD Key that always needs to be in your console, so the only reason to go physical is to have the box art or a collectors edition statue/whatever. With digital you just download and the play whenever you want. I prefer physical because I am old fashioned, but I find myself playing digital only titles I have bought more often then physical discs because the ten seconds it takes to get up and pick a game actually is pretty damn inconvenient, might sound odd but it is. One "illusion" about buying physical is that you own your games so when the servers are shut down you can still play it in 20 years, however every game has a day one patch(DOOM has massive screen tearing on PS4 without the patch), so there is no benefit there. You can however trade in your physical copies and buy used, which can be significantly cheaper.

IF YOU ARE IN THE USA YOU CAN LITERALLY "BUY" A USED GAME FROM GAMESTOP, RETURN IT WITHIN 7 DAYS OR WHATEVER BECAUSE "YOU DIDNT LIKE IT" AND GET A FULL REFUND. So essentially you can rent/borrow games from GameStop for free, which is why I used caps there.

Every month you get 2 free games via PS Plus, you can just add them to your library and download whenever you want, so no reason not to add them. If you miss them then you miss them, so you dont want to miss something good. That said, Strider, Gauntlet, Helldivers, Dead Nation, Tropico 5 and a few others have been the only good/not indie games for PS+ on PS4 so far, though eventually full retail games will come(I have Tomb Raider and DMC on my PS3, which I never play anymore).

As for recommendations... I havent played Darks Souls 3 yet(price, release calender) but I would look into Bloodborne. Its the same developer, same genre with gameplay differences mainly being you dont have a shield in Bloodborne. However I prefer the setting, monsters and art style of Bloodborne over Dark Souls. Might be a little hard or even confusing at first.

If you havent played either of the new Wolfenstein games on PC then they are like $10-20 each for PS4 and well worth it IMO.

Driveclub has the best graphics of any game ever, $20 for PS+ members I believe, tons of free content. Here is a quick comparison of Forza 6(Xbox One), Driveclub and Project Cars with a timestamp, plus an is this real life gif from Driveclub Bikes.

https://youtu.be/cjQbiLk9GPQ?t=116

Uncharted Collection has a demo out. I would suggest Uncharted 4 then never play/buy 1-3 or The Last of Us. Its very cinematic and the experience just gets old, but the first time you play it your in amazement on what games can do from a presentation standpoint. Once you played one Uncharted game though you played them all, to each their own. TLoU is like a really boring, very easy, poor story version... I dont know, people praise these games but I cant really say why.

Shadow of the Beast looks like it might be a good classic game. Actually, I think it comes out tomorrow... Girlfriend said she would buy it for me but only because she owes me lol, gonna have to remind her.(EDIT: Looking at the reviews, sounds like the developers really screwed up simple things like input, plus its only 4 hours long, so no replay there when the game has bad input, just gonna wait for it to be a PS+ title).

If you somehow missed the Resident Evil Remake for GCN then pick that up. Few games are regarded as timeless masterpieces, this is one of them.

A demo is available for FFXV but you're going to wtf at the gameplay, bet your girlfriend would like it though, or your kids(my girlfriends kid beat it, shes 5).

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain is like $30 now. Absolutely amazing gameplay with the main complaint being of no note to you if you havent played the rest of the franchise.

DooM_RO said:

By the way, I recommend turning off the compass in the options menu.

Both the compass and objective marker should be turned off IMO. You can still see the location of your next objective on the automap, so they're totally unnecessary.

chubz said:

Both the compass and objective marker should be turned off IMO. You can still see the location of your next objective on the automap, so they're totally unnecessary.

Interactable objects still have a blue outline like glow on them though (not sure if there is a way to turn that off). Sort of wish there was a way to toggle off the general pathway lights as well.

EternalWolf said:

As for recommendations... I havent played Darks Souls 3 yet(price, release calender) but I would look into Bloodborne. Its the same developer, same genre with gameplay differences mainly being you dont have a shield in Bloodborne. However I prefer the setting, monsters and art style of Bloodborne over Dark Souls. Might be a little hard or even confusing at first.

I more than agree with this!

Start with Bloodborne, and you will see similarities in it's combat regarding Doom 2016, because in both games, when you loose health, you have to get aggressive to regain it, else you die. It is also less "cluttered" than Dark Souls III (much less equipment options etc.), has an awesome story which is told in a very interesting way, good graphics, great athmosphere, and one of the best DLCs I know. It might cost you a controller or two (especially when you get to Mr. Gascoine the first time), but everytime you beat a boss (and you WILL beat them, if you try hard enough), you will understand why this series is so successfull (hint: it's basically a legal drug, produced by your own body).
Once you are hooked, I'd suggest playing Dark Souls III, and after that, get yourself a cheap PS 3 and play Demons Souls, Dark Souls, and last Dark Souls II (Scholars of the first Sin edition, I'd suggest), but beware that in DS2 you move like a drunk refrigerator in contrast to any other Soulsborne title.

Soulsborne stuff - IMHO - is close to the sensation of the original Doom series, because it delivers an experience and sensations I never experienced before in such a way.

EternalWolf said:

First off, congratulations on getting a console and the right one at that(not trying to start a war, but really wtf does XBox have in exclusives or do better than the PS4 in multiplatform games).

Expanding Backwards compatability for us whom bought games on xbox last gen. Hell ya 40oz I hope you've fun man, I'm really digging it. The games these guys are listing might not be up you ally so much, one modern game I will say you should try if you get the chance is the last of us. Your wife might like Flow, Flower and you should check into the retro section like the ps1 games. I'm sure they've some games you'd like, like contra, metal slug, I'm not sure if your into r-type dimensions or not.

EternalWolf said:

Ehh, I have both consoles and play my xbox alot more than my ps4. Probably has more to do with the controller than anything though as I've never been a fan of the playstation controllers. Not to mention the xbox has Halo...

Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Old Blood are great, I'd highly recommend them too even though it gives me a minor case of motion sickness (only game that ever has).

The Order: 1886 is a rather enjoyable game as well and can probably be picked up fairly cheap these days. Basically, it's a third person shooter with awesome cutscenes. Think Knights of the Round Table meets steampunk. The Order gets alot of flack for what it's not but don't let that scare you off.

Can't go wrong with The Last of Us either, very solid game. Not quite what it's hyped up to be but still very solid.

And if you like baseball pick up The Show 16.

Welcome back to the gaming world. It hasn't changed much, everything is prettier and shorter and the whole industry is about the bottom line before quality but all in all there's a lot of fun to be had. I'm glad you're enjoying Doom, I am in love with the SP and MP (SnapMap isn't as robust as they claimed, but I'm sure I'll have fun fucking around with it once I get the hang of things.)

If you're ever down to play Doom or anything else or just want to hang out and take the piss in a party chat feel free to add me on PSN: Johnny_Nebulous

r_init: getpostnumberforname: post not found!

Edited by Justince

I spent $300 myself to play it on PC (bought a GTX 970), I was originally planning to play it on PS4 before I did that though. Looks like that port came out really nice.

DooM_RO said:

By the way, I recommend turning off the compass in the options menu.

it would be more challenging to just turn off everything, especially the glory kill