Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

Are Doom maps downloadable?

Can single player maps be downloaded and played offline or is the only way to play the new maps online with the snapmap ID?

Brad_tilf said:

Can single player maps be downloaded and played offline or is the only way to play the new maps online with the snapmap ID?

Yes, custom SP levels that you download from other people can be played offline.

NodEliteX5 said:

Yes, custom SP levels that you download from other people can be played offline.

So, I was trying to figure out where they save to. It doesn't seem to be a single file or even a directory with the name of the map or the snapmap id, so how does that work exactly?

So, what I'm really asking is this - what is this little "instruction file" that gets downloaded. Where does it go? Does anything else get downloaded with it? I am having ZERO luck finding this info online

Brad_tilf said:

So, what I'm really asking is this - what is this little "instruction file" that gets downloaded. Where does it go? Does anything else get downloaded with it? I am having ZERO luck finding this info online

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\id Software\DOOM\base\doomsnapmaps\saved-maps

Above is for Win 7.

Preliatus said:

Above is for Win 7.

Nice. Thanks

Preliatus said:

Above is for Win 7.

I also noticed that in SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\DOOM\base\generated\cm\maps\dynamicsnapmap there are other directories\files created such as:
0_c_ind_straight_incline_2story which is actually:
SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\DOOM\base\generated\cm\maps\dynamicsnapmap\0_c_ind_straight_incline_2story\snapmaps\func
Inside of this folder is a bunch of files of type "BMC". Which seems to be the case with all of the directories created within the generate\cmp\maps\dynamicsnapmap directories. I assume those are the various features each map uses and the file found under the username\appdata.... are the files that call those?

So where I'm trying to go with this is this.
If I wanted to create a map and save it and say, rather than uploading it to Steam, I wanted to put it on my dropbox account (or Doom Wad Station), Could I put JUST the DECL file (56e1a5184fff9333a7d65b20_56e1a518ea141f29e1f6bf93_map.decl) - for instance online and have someone download it and put it in the correct folder and then the game would "see" it and create the proper files in the steam directory? Did that make sense?

Linguica said:

Why not try it and find out?

I did. Worked like a charm. If you delete the (for lack of a better word) resource files but keep the decl file then the game rebuilds the resource files in the steam directory. Good to know. Now I know that 1.) I can review the maps AND host the file for download. I'll have to test it with someone else just to be sure but it looks like a success. :-)