Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Big Robb

Images you will always remember.

8 years I've been playing doom. Over the course of those 8 years and with all the wads I have played I have seen some amazing things in the game they call doom. Ok the engine isn't the most versatile and has aged terribly but the fact that it can still provoke images that will stay in your mind until your dieing day there has to be something special about that. What images (when i talk about images I'm talking about the way a map looks in a certain point like the first image of e1m1 or the image of the baphomet from map 30 or the whole "Shinning" style atmosphere of the psx doom map The Mansion) What images stick in your mind the most from doom. When you think "Doom" what image is in your mind?

Without a doubt The Mansion is the most atmospheric Doom level I have ever played. You could convert it to PC Doom but I don't think it would have the same atmosphere.

I think of an imp scratching me and a pink demon running around behind it like mad.

the first time i saw the cyberdemon. heh, i jumped. it was in grosse and i walked to that door on the other end of the room. while walking up to the door, i was expecting to enter a room full of imps or something. next thing i know this huge thing is launching rockets at me. :D

Phobos Anomaly. I remember back when I first got shareware Doom when I was 8 I used to be so afraid of that level... As soon as the doors opened and the Barons came out I woul always run away and hide behind that dais thing, and shoot them with the shotgun when they happened to appear behind the corners of the cages a bit... now I kill them both in about 4 seconds with the rocket launcher. Ah, the good old days.

The Big Robb said:
What images stick in your mind the most from doom.

The maze at Command Center - I used to fear that so much. The blue room trap at Central Processing. Outside at Downtown. The staircase trap in Memento Mori map03. The semicircular chaingunner ledge at Requiem map04 and the island at map02. The start of Hell Revealed map22 Resistance is Futile (actually that one could be better described as burned into my mind, for obvious reasons :-).

The maze at Command Center - I used to fear that so much. The blue room trap at Central Processing. Outside at Downtown. The staircase trap in Memento Mori map03. The semicircular chaingunner ledge at Requiem map04 and the island at map02. The start of Hell Revealed map22 Resistance is Futile (actually that one could be better described as burned into my mind, for obvious reasons :-).

This guy knows what I'm talking about!

Doomserv always sticks out in my mind, it was my introduction to internet Doom and Doomworld to defend it :)

The climbable stairway in E1M1 (consider I played Wolf3D just before I first tried Doom).

Nuno Correia said:

The climbable stairway in E1M1 (consider I played Wolf3D just before I first tried Doom).

I second that, from the first time I saw it I was like "whoaaaa". Among others is the title pic, e3m6, e1m7, e3m2, and the story after you beat e1m8.

Hmm....there are so many moments from Doom that are engraved in my mind. Probably what sticks out the most is E1M7, Computer Station. For some reason, when I think of Doom, it's that level that pops up in my brain. Maybe it's because it's so big, and it was scary the first time I played it. I remember getting the red key, going back, and seeing Shotgunners and Imps that weren't there a few minutes before. I was scared.
Then there was E1M5-the darkness, and the eerieness of the whole level, and the music is especially good at setting the mood of the level. I had a nightmare about it shortly I played Doom for the first time.

E2M2

When I first saw the crates I was like...woah thats the coolest thing I've ever seen.

Nuno Correia said:

hey yeah. Now you mention it. That one is a classis =)

I guess also the whole of Phobos in PSX Doom. Brilliant. You could almost smell it when you walked out into the secret courtyard with the Soul Sphere and Sargeants in E1M2.

images in my mind. first time i was scared shitlessby an imp, frst fight with the barons, and first fight with the cyberdemon. also maps that really leave me with a good memory are E1M5, has to be my number 1 map of all time. also E1M8, E2m6 and E3M3 are all good and high in my list

music to e1m8, definitely ...

the baron doors in e1m8
big head in the wall in map30
STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP STOMP in e2m8 even before you saw the damned thing

Not much else, really.

When I first saw a pinkie demon. I was over at my friends house playing the shareware version and I was in E1M5. Scared the hell out of me I tell ya, I was about 8, and he had the gamma way down so it was hard as hell to see, and then there was a giant flesh eating demon running around making all the former humans his bitch. I was pretty freaked out. Shortly after I was killed by some imps from behind...BASTARDS!