Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HellVain

Why does almost every one here hate consoles?

Justince said:

Ultimately what it really boils down to has nothing to do with consoles or PCs; games are linear, dumbed-down, shitty, boring and short because people keep buying them.

Agreed. It's not consoles themselves, but the majority of the console audience are the ones who keep buying dumbed down crap. The same people tend to gravitate towards using consoles because of advertising.

gamul312 said:

In my opinion companies should encourage the idea of playing FPS with keyboard and mouse on consoles. Reading game forums, I know a lot of people use monitors with PS4 and sit close. Some games do allow KB & M (not sure about Doom), for instance Final Fantasy MMO. That was allowed on PS3. So it's up to the developers or publishers to do that, if they want to. They're really just limited PCs that cost less and have their own digital ecosystem (store/accounts). I grew up with the 8/16-bit era of Japanese systems and loved those kind of games which weren't really available in nearly as good of quality on PC -- even the arcade ports weren't either. But that era died out in the 90s pretty much and now it's much more blurred over which "side" has the best, and I'd rather just see the platforms disintegrate, or meld together, as there are good games on all of them (mobile too), and it'd be nice if you could just play the mobile title you bought on your phone also on your TV-system (console) and bedroom system (PC) without re-buying or waiting for a port, or stream it from Steam/PS Now to the tablet or console. I hope that's the future, if it's fast enough.

So much this. Why, after the example set by the Dreamcast and, to a lesser extent, the PS2, are KB/M controls shunned on consoles? The DC version of Q3A, the PS2 version of Half-Life and both versions of UT all supported that control scheme, and they were ace. SoF DC also supported it. To this day, the DC KB/M combo remains relatively inexpensive, and the PS2 (and PS3, for that matter) will accept any generic USB setup, so why haven't more console games accepted them? Imagine playing Killzone, Resistance, Destiny or the new Halo with a mouse and keys, they would be made instantly better (and probably way too easy, but still :P).

Though for the record, it was an argument about which side had the best back in the 90's, too.

I don't hate consoles, although i do hate the elitism within, the companies making PC horrible ports and hating on PCs such as Warner Bros. and those consoletards thinking that they can beat pro PC gamers just because they are pro Cgamers, which is stupid and wrong, consoles to me are for those who can't afford a state-of-art pc that can run pretty much any game at max. settings or those who just want to relax and take thier time playing a game.
There's a reason why there isn't many games that allow cross-play between console and PC, the reason is because KB+M is superior in every way, no matter how good you are with a controller, KB+M will always win.
Although i do like the fact that using a controller adds more challenge and difficulty to a game.

i dont like consoles too, i began with ATARI consoles before pc's...
but you can see how dumbed down gamers got on pc and the line between consoles and pc's is thinner as you got more younger gamers on consoles and older people on pc (just remember how much you had to do to play with EMX and XMS ;)), today are more people playing and thats the issue, the game studios dont sell to nerds anymore only but also to people who have no clue about gaming and just wanna have big explosions. like hollywood movies degenerated...

scalliano said:

So much this. Why, after the example set by the Dreamcast and, to a lesser extent, the PS2, are KB/M controls shunned on consoles? The DC version of Q3A, the PS2 version of Half-Life and both versions of UT all supported that control scheme, and they were ace. SoF DC also supported it. To this day, the DC KB/M combo remains relatively inexpensive, and the PS2 (and PS3, for that matter) will accept any generic USB setup, so why haven't more console games accepted them? Imagine playing Killzone, Resistance, Destiny or the new Halo with a mouse and keys, they would be made instantly better (and probably way too easy, but still :P).

Though for the record, it was an argument about which side had the best back in the 90's, too.

Yeah, there was actually mouse control options for Quake II on PS1 (with the PlayStation Mouse) and there were mouse peripherals for Super NES and Genesis before that, but little used by any games. One difference though, before LCDs and HD became popular for TVs (mid 2000s) you had lower resolution tubes in comparison to computer monitors, which were often used at 800x600 and above by mid to late 90s. So you're sitting closer, the resolution matters more. But now I don't see the excuse and I think developers, especially if they have a PC background, could easily implement the same mouse interface, controls or provide it as an option... the question then becomes does it provide unfair advantage in online play? well you could have separate categories in the servers, if that's the case.

The trouble with consoles is that they used to be a much cheaper way to play video games, but then the prices got closer and closer together, and some of the drawbacks of PCs, like installing updates and online hassles and stuff starting entering the picture, then they charge for online too, which is ridiculous. So it's messed up. It's no longer in the "toy for the kids at Christmas" category (well, Nintendo still is, but not Sony and Xbox).

Each company/service wants you stuck in their "ecosystem" like for life. Steam, PSN, Xbox Live, Apple iOS, Windows Store, etc. I think it should be that you buy a digital license and it's cross-platform (cross-company, I mean). If you buy a license to Doom you can download it on Xbox, Playstation and PC.

I like consoles. And I like PC too. Both have pros and cons.

I've long maintained that it doesn't matter what platform it is, and you're an asshole if you get elitist about what hardware your favorite game is on. What matters is the games.

RUSH said:

I like consoles. And I like PC too. Both have pros and cons.

Couldn't agree more. I prefer first person, third person, and sports games on consoles and flight sims, driving, and strategy games on the computer. Old school isometric rpgs are also much better suited for PCs than for consoles.

dethtoll said:

I've long maintained that it doesn't matter what platform it is, and you're an asshole if you get elitist about what hardware your favorite game is on. What matters is the games.

Well said. Elitism over what type of system you play video games on is rather silly.

I prefer console myself as I am a big fighting game and jrpg fan. Imo playing fps on console is fine, I've been doing it for ages starting with psx quake II.

Play on whatever you want folks. I realize fps is better on pc because of m+kb, but some folks just arent able to play on pc. I dont see why they should get hate.

If I buy a game, I prefer to buy it on PC, but sometimes I can't. I have a decent gaming rig, but it can't run everything, especially newer things. DOOM 2016, for example.

The advantage of PC gaming is obvious and I don't need to restate what everyone already knows, but the advantage of console gaming is the simplicity of it. You don't have to worry about technical specs and shit like that. If it was released for your console you know it works. Also, I don't have the same aversion to a controller that most PC gamers do. I am equally comfortable with both a keyboard/mouse and the XB1 controller (I can't stand the PS controller, however, it's like a damn brick. Some people prefer it, and that's their choice, I simply don't like it.)

Honestly though, the amount of pretentious PC master race bullshit I read in this forum sometimes makes me puke. People need to chill the fuck out, it's a matter of preference, and nobody gives a shit how superior you think you are because of your ZOMG 1337 gaming rig. For example, in one thread here, someone said that a poster's DOOM 2016 review was irrelevant because they play console and "a controller with doom is a no-no." Who gives a fuck? He made himself look like a pompous fool.

TL;DR I prefer PC, I don't mind console play if I need to go that route, and PCmasterrace bullshit just makes you look like a pretentious idiot.

Yes, but some of us are mature adults and recognize that platform wars are stupid. Also, a pretty good contingent of us first played Doom on Playstation.

(In my case, my first experience playing Doom E2 was on SNES...)

HellVain said:

It just boggles my mind that most people here in doomworld talk like consoles are the worst thing to happen to fps.

But they are, and I speak this as a longtime console owner.

dethtoll said:

[citation needed]

If you gamed since the 90s you wouldn't need any citation to being with since you would have noticed these changes by yourself.

victorboris1 said:

But they are, and I speak this as a longtime console owner.

Consoles aren't the problem, the growing in popularity and ubiquity of gaming is what did it. Consoles were just one manifestation of the problem. More people were playing games, and more of them were not hardcore gamers with talent for video games born of practice and experience. So games got more "user friendly" if you will. It wasn't about memorization and skill anymore, and the genre which suffered the most from this was FPS.

Hardware limitations.

And what the hell is stopping id from patching in much higher Snapmap limitations for the PC crowd?

Glaice said:

Hardware limitations.

And what the hell is stopping id from patching in much higher Snapmap limitations for the PC crowd?

I'd say that there must be some flaws in how they programmed the snapmap mode to work, because the single player campaign runs flawlessly on my xbox one and it has tons more enemies and much larger environments with lots of effects and more items than is possible in snapmaps. The culprit isn't the ability for xboxes and playstations to run the game, because they already run much more demanding stuff engine wise in the campaign.

I'm sure that over time snapmaps will grow into a much more robust mode as long as people are actively playing it. If people stop then they will stop its development just as fast.

Phobos Anomaly said:

Consoles aren't the problem, the growing in popularity and ubiquity of gaming is what did it. Consoles were just one manifestation of the problem. More people were playing games, and more of them were not hardcore gamers with talent for video games born of practice and experience. So games got more "user friendly" if you will. It wasn't about memorization and skill anymore, and the genre which suffered the most from this was FPS.

the whole industry is due for a collapse to be honest. there is no such thing as permanent growth.

anomalousauthor said:

I'd say that there must be some flaws in how they programmed the snapmap mode to work, because the single player campaign runs flawlessly on my xbox one and it has tons more enemies and much larger environments with lots of effects and more items than is possible in snapmaps. The culprit isn't the ability for xboxes and playstations to run the game, because they already run much more demanding stuff engine wise in the campaign.

I'm sure that over time snapmaps will grow into a much more robust mode as long as people are actively playing it. If people stop then they will stop its development just as fast.

lets face it, the fans are capable of outdoing bethesda, and they will give it away for free. bethesda isnt interested in this type of competition. so the tools are handicapped.

Except A. Bethesda didn't make this game and B. Bethesda has fully allowed mods for Fallout 4 as long as they didn't flat-out warez their DLC

victorboris1 said:

If you gamed since the 90s you wouldn't need any citation to being with since you would have noticed these changes by yourself.

I've been gaming since the 80s you disingenuous little cockbot. Have things changed? Yes, but your claim is ludicrous and smacks of platform elitism. Grow up or get funny.

jazzmaster9 said:

Lamborghini can also choose to supervise their cars or better yet, make it themselves. You can't use the existence of Consoles as an excuse for bad game development.
Consoles are not at fault here, its the developers who do not maximize the hardware or just copy paste their stuff to a different framework without optimization.

but of course PC "gamers" will blame consoles for everything, it's kinda the culture we have in the gaming community, someone needs a scapegoat.

Im a hardcore PC gamer, the only console I own is a PSX, so to say im a biased console gamer is not gonna work.

So explain why there is an increasing amount of shitty PC ports. Then explain how there's never a situation of shitty console ports. I'm pretty sure companies like microsoft and sony put more effort into making sure console games are at their best than making sure pc ports get the same amount of attention.

Jet1337 said:

So explain why there is an increasing amount of shitty PC ports. Then explain how there's never a situation of shitty console ports. I'm pretty sure companies like microsoft and sony put more effort into making sure console games are at their best than making sure pc ports get the same amount of attention.

There are the last gen console versions of Black Ops 3.

Jet1337 said:

So a failure in the quality of the product from a company is somehow the problem of an entire platform of gaming systems? I don't follow your logic.

LittleBurger said:

There are the last gen console versions of Black Ops 3.

I have played neither version of black ops three although I did hear the 360 port and maybe PS3 don't have a campaign .

In an unrelated comment I would like to add that console games seem to not have large text as opposed to very small text which I cannot read very well from much of a distance.

rampancy said:

lets face it, the fans are capable of outdoing bethesda, and they will give it away for free. bethesda isnt interested in this type of competition. so the tools are handicapped.

I guess you've never heard about Bethesda's own games, Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3, and Fallout 4.