Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scottland89

New encounters each visit?

Hi,

I have an idea for a map, which involves a central module which the player will need to go back several times throughout the level to proceed, and I want to do something so that every time they enter the module with a different key, it will start a new encounter.

e.g. No key = spawn encounter group 1, returning with red key = encounter group 2, spawning with blue key = spawn encounter group 3 etc

But say they have just the red key and already did encounter groups 1 + 2, if they exit and renter the module without any new keys, nothing happens. I have no idea of how to implement this. The bulk of the map is done, but this is the final thing I need done. I ahve all the spawners I need for it, just the logic to get it to work the way I want it. Any ideas?

Two ways I can think of off the top of my head.
I assume you're using different spawners for each encounter and having them only able to trigger once.
You could either apply a filter to the trigger that you're using to spawn each encounter. Set it to the key type that the player is expected to be carrying and the encounter should only activate if they're carrying that key.

Alternatively, you could activate the trigger for the next wave when the player picks up the key. That way they can't use the trigger until they've picked up the key.

Hi i was wondering if there was a way to set a score modifier. If so how would i go about setting the modifier to increase by on on every kill. Example being kill one x2 kill 2 x3 so on and so forth and when you are hit that score multiplier will revert back to x1. if it is possible can someone please explain the chain or leave a map id for me to reference. thanks

TheGrumpyGuppy said:

Hi i was wondering if there was a way to set a score modifier. If so how would i go about setting the modifier to increase by on on every kill. Example being kill one x2 kill 2 x3 so on and so forth and when you are hit that score multiplier will revert back to x1. if it is possible can someone please explain the chain or leave a map id for me to reference. thanks

I think that would involve having a couple different "score settings" with the different multipliers. You'd activate a new set on each kill and activate the original 1x rule when the player is hit. You'd use the player proxy object to get an event when the player is hit. I can try and throw together an example tonight if I get a chance.

You might also be able to change the multiplier directly, not sure what inputs the score settings accepts.

mikeo007 said:

I think that would involve having a couple different "score settings" with the different multipliers. You'd activate a new set on each kill and activate the original 1x rule when the player is hit. You'd use the player proxy object to get an event when the player is hit. I can try and throw together an example tonight if I get a chance.

You might also be able to change the multiplier directly, not sure what inputs the score settings accepts.

thanks ill give it a shot still messing around with a lot of different things this was not as easy as i thought it would be. Ive been able to go to the score settings to multiply the base value of the points for the kills but the rest escapes me lol. appreciate the help

mikeo007 said:

Two ways I can think of off the top of my head.
I assume you're using different spawners for each encounter and having them only able to trigger once.
You could either apply a filter to the trigger that you're using to spawn each encounter. Set it to the key type that the player is expected to be carrying and the encounter should only activate if they're carrying that key.

Alternatively, you could activate the trigger for the next wave when the player picks up the key. That way they can't use the trigger until they've picked up the key.

Don't know if I'm being dumb (very likely) but filter doesn't seem to work as intended and I want to trigger the spawn when the player enters back to the appropriate module (so it can be locked down during the event) so plan b won't work either.

I've also tried using an AND gate (A is key pick up and B is entry to module) which doesn't trigger it as well. Threw in an infinite repeater to test the gate whenever the player is in the module (starts on module entry and stops in module entry). Any further ideas?

TheGrumpyGuppy said:

thanks ill give it a shot still messing around with a lot of different things this was not as easy as i thought it would be. Ive been able to go to the score settings to multiply the base value of the points for the kills but the rest escapes me lol. appreciate the help

right now im just using one survival encounter or whatever well call it lol i just wanted to set it up for the whole thing i have been able to make it reset to 1 when hit but not a multiplier like how to explain i kill one its worth x2 all the time no up no down but i get hit goes to x1 ive used the number module to try and hit multiply but i think im messing the connections up somehow (my map is a survival map see how long you can last just wanted to add that is to someway add an element of wanting to keep ur multiplier up im close but so far...excuse the terrible punctuation lol

For the original question about spawning multiple waves, it seems more complicated than I originally thought. There are some objects that don't have the enable/disable property, including some of the spawners.

I've uploaded an example that will work with any Spawner type. It's quite complicated with a lot of logic though. I've left it wide open so you can see what everything is doing. If you understand logic gates you can get rid of a lot of the clutter.

Map ID: 9LMJYGYP

First wave will spawn when you first enter the room. Second will spawn only after you pick up the red key and re-enter the room. 3rd after the blue key.

@TheGrumpyGuppy

See solution in map ID: YE7ELHV4

First room just shows you how to change multiplier.
Second room has a respawning enemy and kill streak that changes your score multiplier. It resets if you get hit.

mikeo007 said:

@TheGrumpyGuppy

See solution in map ID: YE7ELHV4

First room just shows you how to change multiplier.
Second room has a respawning enemy and kill streak that changes your score multiplier. It resets if you get hit.

thanks

To the OP, the answer you're looking for is very complicated. I'd suggest you look into the variables snapmap reference map and try to understand how the logic works for integers, randomizers, and all the stuff in that section. I'd actually recommend doing all the puzzles up until nightmare and then starting to learn about variables.

mikeo007 said:

For the original question about spawning multiple waves, it seems more complicated than I originally thought. There are some objects that don't have the enable/disable property, including some of the spawners.

I've uploaded an example that will work with any Spawner type. It's quite complicated with a lot of logic though. I've left it wide open so you can see what everything is doing. If you understand logic gates you can get rid of a lot of the clutter.

Map ID: 9LMJYGYP

First wave will spawn when you first enter the room. Second will spawn only after you pick up the red key and re-enter the room. 3rd after the blue key.

Based on the quick play through I did of it, that looks like what I need. Will test out the theory in my map. Thanks :)