Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Where can I find Blood?

I've never actually played it and I really want to. Is there a way to get it for free like with Doom?

TraceOfSpades said:

Is there a way to get it for free like with Doom?

You mean shareware version? There used to be shareware version of Blood, but i don't think you can find it now anywhere.. so the only way is to buy the full version either on GOG or on Steam..

ChekaAgent said:

You mean shareware version? There used to be shareware version of Blood, but i don't think you can find it now anywhere.. so the only way is to buy the full version either on GOG or on Steam..

No, I mean a slightly more dishonest way.

Theres no other way to play Blood, so its pretty much Gog version or bust. Steam never bothers to make old games work properly, so I wouldnt trust their version

TraceOfSpades said:

No, I mean a slightly more dishonest way.

Wha? You mean pirating? Can't help you here.. This is illegal you know..

Ragnor said:

Theres no other way to play Blood, so its pretty much Gog version or bust. Steam never bothers to make old games work properly, so I wouldnt trust their version

Probably will just do that then.

Don't know about GoG, but Steam's version runs it through DOSbox. Runs like utter shit for me, even at max cycles, though others have told me it works fine for them.

ChekaAgent said:

Wha? You mean pirating? Can't help you here.. This is illegal you know..

No, I meant like a way to play the the game files through gzdoom.

GOG version also runs via Dosbox and, atleast on my PC, also runs like shit and is nearly unplayable (it's either because of Windows 10 or my megashitty graphics card..).

TraceOfSpades said:

Nope. For all these years, noones been able to reverse engineer or port the game to anything. DOS is the only option. Blame the series rights holders for being massive cunts.

TraceOfSpades said:

If you mean some kind of Blood sourceport, then you're out of luck, it's DosBox or nothing.

Blood's source code was essentially lost, so the only official way to do it is playing with dosbox.

I think there are people working on conversions and stuff to try to get it as close as humanly possible to a proper source port but I haven't looked into it.

TraceOfSpades said:

Damn, that's depressing. I guess I'll just keep looking out for a sourceport.

Your best bet is...well, who am I kidding, there is no best bet. Without the game's source available to the public (because Atari are jerks and won't let it happen), nobody can make a sourceport. The only alternatives, outside of DOSBox, are any of the handful of Blood-themed TCs for other games, like ZBlood for ZDoom, BloodCM for eDuke32, or Transfusion which runs on its own advanced Quake engine.

Who could imagine back in '97 that nearly 20 years later people will wonder if they can run the damn game.

TraceOfSpades said:

Well technically there's a Blood TC for Doom 2 which will run in GZDoom and it uses resources from the Blood game, but it is pretty lousy.

PureSlime said:

Blood's source code was essentially lost, so the only official way to do it is playing with dosbox.

The source code isn't lost, it's intact and well-preserved. It's just that Atari is sitting its big fat butt on it and refuses to budge.

What about Doom64EX, I thought that was made without the source code? So maybe possible with Blood too?

The source code for beta (or maybe alpha ?) of blood is out too, maybe someone could make a sourceport based on similarities between the alpha and final codes ? .

TraceOfSpades said:

Is there a way to get it for free like with Doom?

The game data of neither Blood nor Doom are free, you need to buy them.

Maybe if Jace Hall simply told Atari that he wanted to make a source port to help buyers of the game to run the game better than DOSBox can rather than a rebuilt online multiplayer based game like ZDaemon, Atari may have accepted it.

You can get it from most abandonware websites. But if you want to play it on a Windows 7 or Windows 8 computer, you need to download BloodCM. It's a sourceport for Blood that you can find on moddb.

It's still perfectly fine playing it in DOSBox. Sure, the resolution might suck, but it's definitely playable.

Avoozl said:

Maybe if Jace Hall simply told Atari that he wanted to make a source port to help buyers of the game to run the game better than DOSBox can rather than a rebuilt online multiplayer based game like ZDaemon, Atari may have accepted it.

He did.

They said no.

Jace Hall said:

Dear Blood Community:

I just got an unusually short, one sentence e-mail from Atari, letting me know that given the current set of circumstances, they are choosing to decline to proceed.

Obviously, I am disappointed. Particularly given Atari's continued encouragement along with the amount of time, effort and correspondence that I have put into this venture.

The only thing that can be done at this point is to wait and see what happens with ATARI, and hope that they find themselves in a position and mindset to allow my efforts to continue on this matter at a future date.

Tears and Sadness,
Jace Hall

http://www.the-postmortem.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1889&start=180

Edit: Just realised Avoozl understood Jace's initial attempt with the whole ZDaemon thing. But i feel Atari wouldn't give either way.

I remember lurking on this thread at the time, all excited until this was posted. Thanks for reminding me how frustrated I was!

I do want to buy the One Unit Whole Blood on GOG but I don't really like the idea of giving Atari pennies because of this. In passing I don't mind Dosbox as it works well for me in general but I wonder how much more they'd sell with the help of sourceports.