Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marscaleb

What source port should I use for this project?

Recommended Posts

I'm not sure how far this project is going to get before I get bored or at least get back to work on something more meaningful, but...

I'm planning out a Doom mod I'd like to build. I'm not sure what the term would be called, but I'm thinking I would want to build it exclusively to work with a custom version of a source port so I can go into the code and tweak things and add special game features. (Maybe. I'm just a junior programmer so I don't know how many of the ideas I come up with I would be able to actually implement, but I want to at least try.)

So I'm trying to pick what source port I would want to use, so I went looking at what features were already found in what port. And right away I was drawn to Doom 64 EX, because of its colored lighting effects. I've seen some source ports add in dynamic lighting effects, but they don't perform the same way as what I see in Doom 64. So I'm drawn in to Doom 64 EX *just* for that.

But there are a couple of other things about Doom 64 that I am not so partial toward. Mostly, the game just doesn't have the same feel in the controls. The player is bigger, the monsters are bigger, and the run speed and weapons aren't quite the same. I mean, it's not *bad,* but I do wonder about improving it.
So I'm left to wonder if it would be more practical to try to implement Doom 64's colored lighting effect into another source port, or if it would be easier to revert Doom 64's basic gameplay back to match classic Doom. Offhand I would assume the latter would be easier; I would suspect that it is just a matter of tweaking the numbers in a bunch of existing variables. (A lot of variables, for every monster and thing, but still.) Even so, I want to ask before I try to sludge through the source code, because hey, maybe someone else already did it.

After that, there are a couple other features I'd want, and thus, questions about implementing them in Doom 64 EX (or in another source port that better meets what I am looking for.)

First, I am curious about importing new textures. The documentation for Doom 64 EX said I could import images in a PNG format that are in powers of two, but it didn't mention anything else. Am I still limited by a color palette? If so, what is the palette Doom 64 uses?
Ideally, I'd like to use a port that lets me put in a full-color texture. I intend to keep my art matching a 256-color scheme, but it would be really nice if I can fudge an image or two as it suits me.

The second thing I am looking for is perhaps the most important to me, but I can already see that it is available in Doom 64 EX. I want to be able to adjust settings from inside the program like a modern game. Although, second to that I'd like to be able to set up a multiplayer game from inside the game's menus, again like a modern game. But I haven't seen any Doom port that does that.

And finally, I'd also like to be able to import 3D objects. It is something I would use sparingly; I want to keep the monsters and weapons and things as sprites, but I would like to be able to put in a few simple ones in some places. I know some source-ports have opened up this ability, but I don't know which ones.
On that note, I am curious about the floating blocks seen at the very beginning of the first level. They don't show certain tell-tale signs of simply being part of a ceiling that isn't sky, but if they are 3D objects they seem curiously low-key and under utilized.

So after all that, what source port is right for me? Which one would start me the closest to what i am looking for?

Share this post


Link to post
Marscaleb said:

And right away I was drawn to Doom 64 EX, because of its colored lighting effects. I've seen some source ports add in dynamic lighting effects, but...

gzdoom and mostly likely zdoom have colored lighting. You can do it with dynamic lights or sector color.

Edit:

...and it looks really good. IMO.

http://imgur.com/a/DhDeI

Share this post


Link to post
everennui said:

...and it looks really good. IMO.


Dynamic lights *can* look good, but really they have to be used right, and they aren't what I'm looking for; I wouldn't be using them right.
Sector color is what I would want to use for this project.

Share this post


Link to post
Marscaleb said:

First, I am curious about importing new textures. The documentation for Doom 64 EX said I could import images in a PNG format that are in powers of two, but it didn't mention anything else. Am I still limited by a color palette? If so, what is the palette Doom 64 uses?


Doom 64 doesn't use one palette, each sprite can have its own palette -- in fact monster variants such as the hell knight/baron or the zombieman/sergeant are implemented through actual palette swap -- not recolors like the baron/knight in Doom II, the exact same sprite lumps but with different palettes.

Marscaleb said:

The second thing I am looking for is perhaps the most important to me, but I can already see that it is available in Doom 64 EX. I want to be able to adjust settings from inside the program like a modern game. Although, second to that I'd like to be able to set up a multiplayer game from inside the game's menus, again like a modern game. But I haven't seen any Doom port that does that.

Zandronum can set a multiplayer game from within its own multiplayer menu; however it's generally more convenient to use IDE or Doomseeker anyway.

Marscaleb said:

And finally, I'd also like to be able to import 3D objects. It is something I would use sparingly; I want to keep the monsters and weapons and things as sprites, but I would like to be able to put in a few simple ones in some places. I know some source-ports have opened up this ability, but I don't know which ones.

Ports that can handle models include GZDoom, Zandronum, Doomsday, Risen3D, 3DGE.

Marscaleb said:

On that note, I am curious about the floating blocks seen at the very beginning of the first level. They don't show certain tell-tale signs of simply being part of a ceiling that isn't sky, but if they are 3D objects they seem curiously low-key and under utilized.


In Doom 64? It's a hack, not a real 3D object. It's a sort of Doom64-exclusive extension of the sky hack; with the original rendering code you'd get columns of sky above each of the four platforms hiding the room's walls behind them. Doom 64 draws the walls through these sky columns instead of occluding them, which creates the illusion of a 3D platform. It's actually a lot more limited than a real 3D platform would be, which is why its use is so low-key, as you say: it's just an illusion.



Overall, for what you want (sector lighting and 3D stuff) I'd suggest GZDoom (or Zandronum, for the multiplayer aspect). ZDoom and GZDoom have colored sector lighting, though it's not as flexible as the one seen in Doom 64 (with different colors for floor, ceiling, walls...) it's more on the level of what's seen in PSX Doom. (In fact that's why the PSX Doom TC, and some PSX-inspired mods like Scalliano's Threshold of Pain, were made for GZDoom.)

Share this post


Link to post
Gez said:

Doom 64 doesn't use one palette, each sprite can have its own palette -- in fact monster variants such as the hell knight/baron or the zombieman/sergeant are implemented through actual palette swap -- not recolors like the baron/knight in Doom II, the exact same sprite lumps but with different palettes.


That's actually really awesome, and would be cool to work with!
Is there documentation about how to set up palettes for palette swaps?
Also, are there other source ports with that capability?
...Although as I think about it, I guess it really wouldn't be important, as long I could import a texture without forcing it to match a single palette. For as often as I would want to use palette swaps, I could just use new textures, since I am more trying to look like an old game rather than constrain myself exactly to run on an old system.

Gez said:

Zandronum can set a multiplayer game from within its own multiplayer menu; however it's generally more convenient to use IDE or Doomseeker anyway.


Yeah, but if I successfully manage to create my own original content, the final product would be more like it's own game than a level pack. In that context I think most people would expect multiplayer to be handled by the game, not a secondary application. Altogether it is really something to concern myself with later on, after I have successfully made my own thing with all the unique bells and whistle ans sharks with laser beams attached to their heads.

Gez said:

In Doom 64? It's a hack, not a real 3D object. It's a sort of Doom64-exclusive extension of the sky hack; with the original rendering code you'd get columns of sky above each of the four platforms hiding the room's walls behind them. Doom 64 draws the walls through these sky columns instead of occluding them, which creates the illusion of a 3D platform.

THANK YOU so much, that has been bugging me for like twelve years.

Hmm, I'm not sure how important it is for me to have different sector colors for the walls/floors/etc, but it would be nice.

...perhaps the question I should be asking is, which source port tends to have the most supportive community? So if I try making my own thing and I'm having a problem making the sharks with the laser beams attached to their heads I can most likely get help with creating my new effects?

Share this post


Link to post
Marscaleb said:

...perhaps the question I should be asking is, which source port tends to have the most supportive community? So if I try making my own thing and I'm having a problem making the sharks with the laser beams attached to their heads I can most likely get help with creating my new effects?



(G)ZDoom, without a doubt. If you ask something in the forum at http://forum.zdoom.org you are very likely to get some answers.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×