Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've been farting around in Doom Builder for a while now without anything to show for it.... until now!

THE STORY SO FAR....
"Trouble down at the old water plant," your commanding officer says. "Unfortunately, I can't risk my boys getting their socks wet and you're the only Marine who remembered to bring his shoes.Seems it's all up to you."

The powers of Water, Slime and Blood combine to unleash THREE medium sized maps based around different DOOM liquids!!
An open-plan brick reservoir.
A tight nukage techbase filled with brutal ambushes and close-quarter fighting.
And a Bloodworks set inside and around a large cavern. The angry cyberdemon in the center will grab your attention, but it's the Archvile and his horde waiting at the end who will command your respect.

SCREENIES:
http://imgur.com/a/itJAI

DOWNLOAD HERE:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/quq5hpjjbwcngxg/Zanko+Miron%21.wad

Like I said, it's my first wad. I'd appreciate any and all feedback you have.
Thanks!

It works in Boom compatibiity, haven't checked vanilla, but probably also.

The best screenshot for me was the one that combined red brick with the other brick.
Very nice design, starts linear, but then the level expands. I even got lost for a minute. Reminds me of Nicolas Monti's work, maybe it's even nicer.

But the combat felt too easy. This is basically an Ultimate Doom level with a super shotgun and two hell knights. There was a tiny bit of pressure at the SSG area, and still this would be beatable with shotgun only.

You may consider putting revenants, arch-viles, PEs on UV only, like in the old polygon.wad

Here are some complevel 9 FDAs made in PrBoom+:

MAP1
MAP2
MAP3

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to finish maps 2 and 3 due to some doors that don't work in PrBoom+:

- MAP2: red key door has a W1 line in front of it that's blocking activation.
- MAP3: door after the red gate and imp fight teleporter is a 0-tag SR.

After I ran into these blocking issues, I did try to see as much of the levels as I could, because I was really digging it. I got a nice classic Doom 2 vibe from these maps. Some more notes:

- The gameplay was perhaps too easy for UV.
- Some of the secrets were perhaps too obvious (the backpack secret in MAP1 comes to mind).
- The visual style and layouts were well-done and classic-feeling (I only spotted a few texture misalignments).
- In MAP2, outside, down by the invis sphere secret, there's some HOM going on in PrBoom+ (after looking at the line in DB2, I'm still not sure why!).
- In MAP3, you can skip the red key gate very easily.

Ops, I didn't realize there's more than one map. My previous comments refer to MAP01.

MAP02 is indeed tougher (=much better), but the hall of mirrors is unfortunate.
The red bars don't work from one side but the map still can be finished in PrBoom+ !

Thanks for uploading demos, they're very helpful!

I only tested the wad with GZdoom. The PrBoom bugs seem to mostly be from action linedefs placed too closely together. Can't figure out that HOM though.

I was afraid it might be too hard, but it's clearly nothing major for old Doom salts. Will definitely crank up the difficulty on UV for future releases.

I agree the third screenshot is the best. Bricks might be the best class of textures in Doom.

If a prboom-compatible version appears, I'll totally play it. :)

FDA for map02. http://www.mediafire.com/download/sakueumvic2xehe/zanko02_rdwpa_fda.lmp

Haha, I cheesed the last trap in a funny way. Keep it up! These are quite strong "iwad-type" maps, fun to play somewhat recklessly.

For map03. Missed that you fixed everything. http://www.mediafire.com/download/vtou555jtpjujse/zanko03_rdwpa_fda.lmp

My mouse is acting up slightly which has resulted in a few missed SSG shots here and there. Yeah, not playing recklessly in a level with a cyber! :D I think I completely forgot the RL existed at one point.

I like this one the best. The big imp encounter would be a lot better if the door led into a slight drop-off and you couldn't just easily leave the room. The RK pedestal could use the switch on a different side, because as is it kind of looks like it's supposed to be lowered by a remote switch somewhere.

I replayed map03 and attempting to two-shot the cyber resulted in it getting tossed into the blood! Monster-blocking lines around that "island" might be useful if you want to prevent that, although it's kind of amusing.

Made the changes suggested and I agree, it's playing a lot better now- even if bullying the cybie was good for a laugh.