Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hambourgeois

the hambourgeois content mill

hello freedoom!

I was making a map using freedoom assets and noticed that some of the flats have a distinctive "this was made in a procedural texture generator and never pixel optimized" look. Long story short I made some edits to the existing RROCK04 and used it to make new versions of RROCK01, 02, 05, 06, 07, and 08.
RROCK01:
old: new: alt:

RROCK02:
old: new: alt:

RROCK04:
old: new:

RROCK05:

RROCK06:

RROCK07:

RROCK08:

Animation:

Here's a link to the graphicsgale file that these are derived from https://www.dropbox.com/s/il8h0uikvrsaoaq/lavarocks.gal?dl=0

There are a few more flats that have the same problem (FLAT1_1, 1_2, 1_3, 5_7, and 5_8) and imo DEM1_5 and 1_6 look kind of weird. If I do any more edits I will probably focus on those. I might also post maps and music in here if I make anything relevant, but those are less my forte.

There is something missing in the texture: when you look at an object that glows, the object itself appears to dim, becoming "darker". Does such optical illusion look good in textures?

Hambourgeois, perhaps you would consider doing some improvements to the problematic textures that are uncomfortably similar to their Doom counterparts? That's a sort of a pending concern but apparently no one has taken this task yet.

thanks for the interest everyone!

XCOPY: I was using the original doom and existing freedoom textures as a reference. assuming I am reading you right, they do not darken the rocks as the lava gets lighter. I mostly just want to make improvements without getting too hung up on details. if someone wants to try editing the textures to see how it looks i did post the graphics gale file for anyone who wants to play with it.

MrFlibble: I'll def take a look, but I dont want to promise anything ahead of time. I'm super disorganized and unreliable so I don't really want people to depend on me for improving assets but I'm willing to work on things as I have time

e: word salad and redundant phrases are actually good

crossposting from the problematic textures thread, all of these are edits to content that was already in the freedoom iwad:

Hambourgeois said:

quick and dirty edit to RW32_2:
alt

as always heres the source file (gimp .xcf): https://www.dropbox.com/s/y3459ur1mn4b398/hamRW32_1.xcf?dl=0

RW15_1- looked more like the original doom texture than the other freedoom ones:

RW15_2- resized elements so they were closer to the original doom textures in size, made the top border of the bottom panel consistent with the others

RW15_3- recolored from my new RW15_2 to be green. if people liked the old ones i can recolor it to a lighter gray.

RW15_4- the left side border was reversed compared to other textures in the set

RW16_4- the doom original did not have the top border like this one did, so i pasted the picture over my new RW15_4

RW19 series- made the bottom consistent with the other panel textures and look less like the original doom textures. if people think its a good idea i can try to remake the top half as well.

Hambourgeois, those are some very cool textures! Thanks again! (I hope this gets added to the project soon.)

made a new Flat5_7 and 5_8 but im not super sold on them yet, i might tweak them (need some more contrast, i think the cracks are too wide)
Flat5_7

Flat5_8

some screenies:

Could you post screenshots of the same areas with the old flats for comparison?

On another note, older versions of Freedoom had some interesting lava flats, but the animation sequence was pretty broken:

Do you think they could be worth improving? I kind of like them better than the current ones which are somewhat closer to the original Doom lava flats as far as I can tell.

Meh, screw the old lava flats. They looked bad IMO.

@Hambourgeois: Great work! Aside from the iffy new FLAT5_x submissions, these should all be committed.

It seems that Hambourgeois' lava rock flats haven't been submitted yet. Or were they rejected for whatever reason?

[Edit] Same goes for the updated patches.