Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brad_tilf

The only thing I'm disappointed with (ie snapmap)

It's not snapmap itself. Seems fine and all and hopefully they'll release something that allows pc modders to do more with it but there is the rub that disappoints me. Right now, the ONLY way to get maps is through Steam. You can't even just get the text files that download and put them somewhere else then load them into the game. I don't know what that means for the future of modding but one of the things that has really made Doom stick around all these years is the incredible modding community

Mods are coming. Snap map might actually make this easier to do. If we can mod snap map it's self this will actually go really well.

What bugs me about SnapMap is the inconsistency. Like how theres a limit to how many monsters can be placed on a map to a max of 64, however if you use the single/group monster encounter tools those don't apply to that limit at all.

As well as random missing weapons and their mods. It just feels very rushed and slapped together. Which is a shame because it has some good power with it's logic tools. Hell someone managed to bypass the two weapon limit by allowing you to cycle through an inventory of weapons with a logic string.

Jet1337 said:

How can someone find the source code to the idtech 6 engine?

Apply for a senior 3D engine developer at id.

Fullfill what they ask.

Master the interview.

Get hired, sign contract that if you ever tell someone what's in the idtech 6 engine source code they may sent you straight to hell.

Earn quite some dough, have access to idtech 6 source code.

Quite easy.

Or:

find a security flaw in their corporate network, hack the shit out of them, steal the source code, and make sure you know what you do (and what you just did) when sharing it so you won't get caught and put into jail.

Or:

Wait quite some years and HOPE that Zenimax has the same spirit that id had back in the days, and they allow id to release the source code of an - as then - outdated engine for fans to modify.

Maybe, when there's an idTech 7, they'll consider releasing 6. Really, though, if SnapMap could just have the ability to tweak wall/floor/ceiling positions, it would be a lot better. I think one of the most crippling factors at the moment is that each room is only prefab, you have no control over the fine tuning of the environment whatsoever, all you can do is insert props. You can tell by the E1M2 replica that id themselves made how limited SnapMap is that they had to resort to faking stuff like acid and the maze walls and it looks really jarring. The lack of outdoor areas hurts it too.

Jet1337 said:

How can someone find the source code to the idtech 6 engine?

What's the point?
Unless the code to SnapMap is at least released then that's more than enough for the modders.

You can't even disble glory kill highlights in snapmap and mp becouse id software make singleplayer only. MP and snapmap dont even have the same "game" option like in SP.

Game option should be the same for all 3 game modes not 3 diffrent type.

There needs to be an option to make a map single-player only with the usual single-player aspects. It's almost like id is crippling user maps on purpose.

hardcore_gamer said:

Yea speaking of that, why is there no pistol in snapmap?

Because there's no pistol in multiplayer, and Snapmap is deeply tied in to the multiplayer code. To add back in a weapon they would have to go through all the QA for adding a new weapon to multiplayer, and I guess they didn't want to bother.

Linguica said:

Because there's no pistol in multiplayer, and Snapmap is deeply tied in to the multiplayer code. To add back in a weapon they would have to go through all the QA for adding a new weapon to multiplayer, and I guess they didn't want to bother.

They should have based it on the single player code or at least have a mode option, maybe they'll have it in an update. I guess they didn't realize that the majority of mappers are going to make single player maps, Deathmatch maps exist in the Doom community but they're a minority.