Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
redrage

Flickering light tutorial

I have created a flickering light tutorial for you all to enjoy. I think the effect is quite cool and look forward to how you all are going to apply it in your maps. :)

Youtube tutorial: https://youtu.be/BSVfU1YYhXQ

SnapMap shortcode for the map in the tutorial: CN4BLAK3

Let me know what you think!

redrage said:

I have created a flickering light tutorial for you all to enjoy. I think the effect is quite cool and look forward to how you all are going to apply it in your maps. :)

Youtube tutorial: https://youtu.be/BSVfU1YYhXQ

SnapMap shortcode for the map in the tutorial: CN4BLAK3

http://i.imgur.com/4WqNwHK.jpg

Let me know what you think!

Holy shit man))) You lost me like in the middle)) But it is incredible. But that's ridiculous....why couldn't they just add those different light behaviors? idStudio has it, you don't need to do anything just apply any type of blinking you want and it's done! But here...holy shit you like programming light in a supposedly easy to work with editor? Where's the logic here?
Also a player collision volume needs to be rendered in order to cast shadows?

Spooks said:

Pretty cool man, will try this out in some maps

Thanks! I look forward to seeing it applied. :)

id.dav said:

Holy shit man))) You lost me like in the middle)) But it is incredible. But that's ridiculous....why couldn't they just add those different light behaviors?

I was as baffled as you are by the finding that there are no (as in none) light presets to choose from.

id.dav said:

idStudio has it, you don't need to do anything just apply any type of blinking you want and it's done! But here...holy shit you like programming light in a supposedly easy to work with editor? Where's the logic here?

There is no logic to it. From Doom 1/2 onwards we have had light presets to choose from. The fact there are no simple light presets to choose from for something as "user friendly" as SnapMap is a real oversight. (the overall thing seems incredibly rushed with the most basic of features missing)

With that said I like to try to make things work regardless (I like a challenge I guess). Its fun for now, when I get burned out on it (which will probably happen after I publish my map) Ill move on to something else.

id.dav said:

Also a player collision volume needs to be rendered in order to cast shadows?

By default a player collision volumes "Render Model" is set to "transparent" which looks a bit like a forcefield. That effect allows light to pass through it. By setting its "Render Model" (poor naming it should just be "Render Mode") to textured instead it will actually block the light/cast shadows.

Hope this clears that up. :)