Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PsychoGoatee

Mapping questions thread

Figured a lot of people might have quick questions, maybe we could throw some into this thread.

I have a few for starters. From playing a few SnapMaps, it seems when you die you restart at the beginning of the level, and any guns you picked up are gone. I think it would be cool if you dropped your guns where you died so you could get them again, is that possible? Or could you keep your guns when you die?

Also, is there a way to make guns respawn on a spawn timer for SP? In general, are SnapMaps made to be beaten in one shot without dying? That would seem to limit their appeal compared to traditional Doom maps to me.

I've heard there's some way to make it so you don't start at the beginning of the level when you die. What's the simplest way to achieve that?

Also, everytime I click on a SnapMap for solo play, it looks for other players until I set it to private (because co-op is an option). I don't mind, but that seems odd.

For SnapMap stuff you unlock with Snap points, are any of those useful things for a level, like more rooms or props?

One more question, is there a way to paste a map ID code in Doom? Ctrl+V doesn't seem to do anything.

Thanks folks.

You can make it so you keep your guns when you die, just place a game settings token on the map (I dont remember the exact name XD) and tickle the option that tells you that you can keep your weapons.

Yes, there is a way to respawn guns on a timer, although I still don't know how to do it XD, but I've played some maps with that option.

Saddly I haven't seen purchasable modules for snapmap.

Now a question of my own. Is it just me or the multiplayer portion (mainly snapmap) feels slower than singleplayer? Is singleplayer's walk seep faster?

Go to properties and the gun will have a "respawn timer" option.

You can spawn at various points in the map be disabling and enabling spawn points, and these can serve as "checkpoints". An example of this is in my Henry maps.

It seems like the hide/show option keeps the demons in memory. Has anyone tried to show a demon then kill it to see if it allows more demons per module? Or cache the demon for later use? I wonder if either option would provide the ability to use more demons before Snap Map bugs out.

- How can i change the damage output of weapons?

- Is there a way to drop boxes on top of boxes without making them clip trough each other? Pressing the directional buttons or moving it with the mouse go's to fast.

- Is there a way to change the theme of a room with a activator?

- Is it possible to raise the max armor, health and ammo a player can carry?

Tnx in advance.

Quick questions that I have.

Is there a way to respawn enemies without spawners? I have a map with demons set on different teams, and I want them to respawn when killed so each team has 6 demons on each team at all times. Spawners don't allow the demons to be team assigned, (I think).

Less technical question, is Revenants and Hell Knights a good balance of enemies to fight each other or would one always dominate against the other (thinking Revenants in Team 1 and hell Knights in Team 2 for the above idea, along with upto 2 players per team).

TheLastOttoman said:

- How can i change the damage output of weapons?

- Is there a way to drop boxes on top of boxes without making them clip trough each other? Pressing the directional buttons or moving it with the mouse go's to fast.

- Is there a way to change the theme of a room with a activator?

- Is it possible to raise the max armor, health and ammo a player can carry?

Tnx in advance.

Answer to your first and last questions is: use the set modifier input on the player proxy.
For the other 2, aligning by hand is the only way I know of, and no you can't change the theme of a room on the fly.

Scottland89 said:

Quick questions that I have.

Is there a way to respawn enemies without spawners? I have a map with demons set on different teams, and I want them to respawn when killed so each team has 6 demons on each team at all times. Spawners don't allow the demons to be team assigned, (I think).

Less technical question, is Revenants and Hell Knights a good balance of enemies to fight each other or would one always dominate against the other (thinking Revenants in Team 1 and hell Knights in Team 2 for the above idea, along with upto 2 players per team).

You want to use a single demon encounter spawner. Spawners have an "Assign Team" input, so call that when you start your map and assign each spawner a different team. Alternatively you could use the team proxy to assign a team with the "on spawn" event from the spawner.

Hell Knights seem to wreck revnants in most areas (no room to fly).

mikeo007 said:

Answer to your first and last questions is: use the set modifier input on the player proxy.
For the other 2, aligning by hand is the only way I know of, and no you can't change the theme of a room on the fly.

About you first answer: As far as i can remember, this option doesn't allow me to adjust the damage output of weapons individually. Should i use filters and the player proxy?

mikeo007 said:

You want to use a single demon encounter spawner. Spawners have an "Assign Team" input, so call that when you start your map and assign each spawner a different team. Alternatively you could use the team proxy to assign a team with the "on spawn" event from the spawner.

Hell Knights seem to wreck revnants in most areas (no room to fly).

Thanks Mike will try that later when I get the chance.

And the module I have is the big open empty module (forgot it's name) so room to fly won't be an issue for Revenants, with nothing being placed aimed to limit demon movement, and the Revenants can't fly to where the Hell Knight has obsticals to run around to get to the Revenants (other than players and the other demons). Guessing that should mean equal footing between them and Hell Knights?

TheLastOttoman said:

About you first answer: As far as i can remember, this option doesn't allow me to adjust the damage output of weapons individually. Should i use filters and the player proxy?

You're right, it only allows you to adjust overall player damage. You might be able to rig up logic to change this on weapon swap by using player input and tracking what weapons a player has. Seems like a lot of work to implement though. Still, if you want to try it, that's where I'd start.

New here! Im trying to make a map on snapmap and i cant figure out how to actually spawn ammo,health and armor! I want them to, once picked up, spawn again in the same place at a later time! Someone please help (:

KRSn1per said:

New here! Im trying to make a map on snapmap and i cant figure out how to actually spawn ammo,health and armor! I want them to, once picked up, spawn again in the same place at a later time! Someone please help (:

Sure, first you place the item you want with the add button (G by default). Then highlight the item with the mouse, hit properties (X by default), and set Respawn Deley to what you'd like. Click the + arrow a bunch of times to make it respawn after 21 seconds for example.

Here's a question of mine, how do you make an enemy spawn when you pick up a weapon? I've tried putting an enemy on the map in "hidden" mode, and tried to find ways to connect this with the weapon, but it hasn't worked yet. Could anybody post a step-by-step way of how to make that work?

Also, how do you make a custom message appear on the player's HUD for a moment when you pick up a gun or key, or walk into a room?

[edit: Nevermind, I got those to work. Just click add on the gun, then pick "on pick up" have thing happen, then select a message, or select an show an enemy etc]

My next question, how do you change the player's speed? (edit: figured it out, you do on spawn - set player proxy - modifier - speed)

Also, sometimes in "custom demon encounter", enemies just pop in without the firey summoning spawn effect. Is this a bug, or is there a way to fix that?

I have tried to use that method and it will not spawn. Once i go to play my map, the space on the grid where i placed the spawn point, is empty... ):

KRSn1per said:

I have tried to use that method and it will not spawn. Once i go to play my map, the space on the grid where i placed the spawn point, is empty... ):

Do you mean it was never there? The first thing you do is place the item you want on the map. Then if the respawn setting is set to respawn it after say 20 seconds, that point will look empty until 20 seconds later, then it'll respawn.

So the first thing you do is press G, go to pickups, place the ammo for example, click it, and it should be visable there in SnapMap. Then you highlighted it and edited it's Respawn Delay setting in properties?

Here's another mapping question I have. Sometimes things won't connect (are red on the map), when you'd think they would connect. I can't connect two "simple hallways" for example. Using couplers or jogs to connect them also doesn't work, sometimes it seems I just can't connect something. Any ideas?

PsychoGoatee said:

Here's another mapping question I have. Sometimes things won't connect (are red on the map), when you'd think they would connect. I can't connect two "simple hallways" for example. Using couplers or jogs to connect them also doesn't work, sometimes it seems I just can't connect something. Any ideas?

Sounds like you have rooms that are JUST SOME MILLIMETERS off to have any coupler/room to link with them. Which sucks when that happens. The best solution can be twofold:

Check if they're on the same level, as in "is one floor higher than the other?" If so, make some edits to the map to have them more aligned together.
The other thing is to connect the rooms that are having linking problems, then add new couplers/rooms to the now disjointed rooms, to now have them linked.

That or just put a teleporter that'll get to the next room.

I got my own question: is there any way to have a logic chain that involves "If Imp dies, send signal?" Cause all i find is "If AI dies, send signal" But i just want it to be specific to demons, such as when hellrazers die, or when barons die, etc.

Thanks, also I just figured out why this wasn't working for me in particular. I wasn't noticing the borders of the map grid where the map ends, since you can only build so far in one direction. So the stuff I was trying to make just didn't fit.

Potatoguy said:

I got my own question: is there any way to have a logic chain that involves "If Imp dies, send signal?" Cause all i find is "If AI dies, send signal" But i just want it to be specific to demons, such as when hellrazers die, or when barons die, etc.

I know how to make a specific monster dying trigger something, by highlighting the monster, but I don't know of any way to have something happen any time a specific type of monster dies.

KRSn1per said:

Instead of using items in the pickups section,use item spawners, and edit the properties so it's the item you want. Now in each module (or group of modules) place a map marker (gameplay), and link them to your item spawners so that they spawn on map (or match) start.Then link the spawners back on themselves to respawn on pickup. Lastly, with the link you just made, set the output delay in the on pickup marker to x seconds (x being how long to respawn).

Here's a big question: how does the 12 active monsters limit not break a map if you run past all the enemies?

I spent many hours playtesting and putting together lots of encounters in a map, where you'll enter a room and a group of enemies spawn, and if you kill that group anther spawns, stuff like that.

I also have some placed enemies at the start of the map, and a couple "hidden" ones that get shown when you pick up a gun etc. But most of the map is just spawned "custom enemy encounters".

But if you run by the first few areas without killing, every other room just doesn't spawn any enemies, and the level doesn't work. And the last room's door opens by killing the monsters and ending that encounter, so that door wouldn't open if you do that. Though the bigger issue is, this seems like it'll break any map with any degree of intricate encounter design.

What's the solution? Is there a way to get rid of old enemies when you enter a new area or something like that?

PsychoGoatee said:

Here's a big question: how does the 12 active monsters limit not break a map if you run past all the enemies?

Supposedly enemies that are created by the AI conductor will despawn after you get roughly 2 modules away from them. As far as monsters created from manual placement or custom group encounters go, you might either have to set up triggers to delete them once you reach a certain point, but I don't think that's possible with the group encounters, only the manually placed monsters.

I think the best solution to this is to make it so that the rooms with the heaviest concentration of monsters is set to be played as a lockdown. In addition to this, if you are using an AI conductor, maybe make it so that it pauses the spawning before or during the lockdown to prevent your custom encounter spawns from being unable to spawn. Imo it also helps with the pacing to give the players a moments respite to stock up on health and ammo and just look around for secrets before being thrown into a big fight.

A general rule of thumb that I've been going by is that I never really use manually placed monsters, only group encounters or single encounters if I need a single demon to spawn in a specific place and do something unique. I'm not sure if this is true, but I've been hearing a lot of people complain about monsters not spawning in their map despite having all or most of them set to hidden before they spawn. I think it's still taking up the active monster count for some strange reason, but I haven't confirmed this yet.

Potatoguy said:

Unfortunately the only way I can see this working is if you use a single demon encounter and set it so that when that demon dies, it performs the trigger. It's a bit tedious and will probably use up extra resources, but if you absolutely need this to happen this is the only solution I can see working.

If you need the monster to blend in with a group of other monsters to make it seem as though they're part of the same encounter, just make sure they all spawn at the same time.

Furthermore, if you need it to happen only once no matter which monster it is, try making it so that all the Imps are connected to the signal, which is connected to a counter. The counter can be a total of 1 if you only need one Imp to die, and when it reaches its count have the counter perform the action you want it to, in addition to deleting itself so that whatever you're trying to have them do doesn't happen more than the intended amount of times. Hopefully that will work, let me know if you give it a try.

PsychoGoatee said:

Most of the map is just spawned "custom enemy encounters".

But if you run by the first few areas without killing, every other room just doesn't spawn any enemies, and the level doesn't work. And the last room's door opens by killing the monsters and ending that encounter, so that door wouldn't open if you do that. Though the bigger issue is, this seems like it'll break any map with any degree of intricate encounter design.

What's the solution? Is there a way to get rid of old enemies when you enter a new area or something like that?

I think there IS, although this is just coming from the top of my head, so expect error.

There's a logic about modules (looks like a see-through box), and how entering and exiting it will cause a signal. Use this to your advantage. Make the code: When player exits module(links to)> Custom Group encounter>Remove/kill enemies. This would cause the demons ignored and left in a previous room to be killed/removed when the player enters the next room! But again, i may be wrong. Hope this helped!

I have my own question: Is there any way to have more than three variables shown to the player in the Hud Settings option? Like have 4 numbers, or even 6? Or is 3 the maximum?

Probably 3 at a time and you could change them with booleans (with player inputs -> bolean?). So if a player hits start or something, they'll see the other 3?

VentedPennies said:

Probably 3 at a time and you could change them with booleans (with player inputs -> bolean?). So if a player hits start or something, they'll see the other 3?

I can't remember, do the HUD messages allow you to display a string variable? If so, you could set the hud message to be a single string variable, and then modify it and concatenate the values you want. You just need to build the string whenever you update any of the variables that it's displaying.

Thanks for the tips Miss Bubbles and Potatoguy! I did end up doing something like that, which somebody showed me how to do. By making it so a timer is set to kill the AIs after I exit a module etc. I added a couple quick transitional hallway rooms with no enemies to help pull this off less noticeably. You can also make a filter to only kill AIs in a certain module.

Captain Toenail said:

Anyone know how to make Quake3 style jump pads?

I can't find a function to apply thrust to a player.

I'd also like to know that. Those were used in some fun single-player battles in this game too.

Captain Toenail said:

Anyone know how to make Quake3 style jump pads?

I can't find a function to apply thrust to a player.

There's really no way to do this right now since there aren't any objects that push the player around, nor do you have any control what-so-ever over the player's momentum via logic.

EDIT: I was intrigued by this question, so I came up with a semi-workaround. What you can do is place a bunch of teleporter destinations going upwards in an arc, then link them together so that when you arrive at one, you're teleported to the next. It's best to use a 0.1-second output delay for each destination's "On Arrived" event, that way you aren't almost instantly teleported to the last destination, which would diminish the "traveling upwards" effect.

Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about :

And last but certainly not least, here's a little clip of it in action:
https://gfycat.com/SevereWhisperedCattle

Question: Is there any way to have a player pick up an item that will prevent them from shooting?

AND: Is there a way to increase/decrease a score through a signal, such as press button to get 50000 points, or if interger = 10, give player 30 points, etc.?

I would be interested in the scoring thing, but I guess for the shooting thing, you could have the item remove all of the player's ammo.

Or maybe the item can re-map the trigger button to do something else?

The "Give Score" is an option on the Player Proxy object.

So say you want to have a button give a score, then on use, link it to the player proxy, give score. Editing the properties of the Give Score node defines how many points you want to give.

The player that used the button will be the activator, so they alone will receive the points.

...and yeah, the best way to disable firing would just be to take all ammo, or more accurately, set the player's ammo capacity to 0%. The percentage is the percentage of the default, not their current amount, so after the effect wore off you would want to set their ammo capacity back to 100%.