Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

The Metal / Rock Music Discussion Thread

RUSH said:

I seem to be in the minority in that I find Metallica to be complete overrated shit. Same with Megadeth, Iron Maiden and Anthrax. Bleh.

*cheers*

Each one has a few catchy tunes but is overrated as fuck. The only one I ever even got into was Metallica, but then I turned 16 and realised this stuff is basically the pop of metal. Okay to put on, but doesn't really speak to me on any meaningful level.

Also I see both points of view regarding the earlier discussion about genres essentially being insufficient to describe music, and I agree with that, but I do take issue with referring to the Rock of the 60s and 70s as "druggy hippy" music. Yeah the mainstream stuff was, and there's nothing really wrong with that anyway, but the best guitarist of that era hardly even touched drugs and famously hated most elements of the hippie movement :)

If you guessed I was talking about Jimi, you get a point for at least naming the 2nd best guitarist of that era ;)

Spoiler

obviously when I say "best" I'm just talking about my own opinion, I figured I'd leave this disclaimer here for anyone who wants to lynch me because we have different tastes.

Edit: @Joe-Ilya, the Offspring's second album is great as well, but there's just something about that "recorded in a garage with low budget gear" sound I love about the first one, and songs like Kill the President and Jennifer Lost The War have more meaning and emotional appeal to me than any of the stuff they released later. I was an Offspring fanatic for about a decade, but the older I got, the more I drifted to the old half of their discography. I could accept Splinter, but everything after that was pure "bleh". (Felt good to have a little Offspring rant, reminds me how crazy I used to be about their stuff.)

Tbh, I really don't get it when people get so judgmental about specific bands or albums.

Stuff like "St. Anger was pure shit"

Like hey man, I wasn't a fan of it either, but I'm sure someone is. I can't get myself mad about it.

I find when it comes to music, people are very quick to shove things in "objectively good" and "objectively bad" piles.

"Ride The Lightning" best thing ever happens with thrash metal. IMHO.

...and Sepultura must be in "big four" instead Anthrax.

PureSlime said:

Tbh, I really don't get it when people get so judgmental about specific bands or albums.

Stuff like "St. Anger was pure shit"

Like hey man, I wasn't a fan of it either, but I'm sure someone is. I can't get myself mad about it.

I find when it comes to music, people are very quick to shove things in "objectively good" and "objectively bad" piles.

It's pure shit to me, personally. I mean, I totally get people digging it. Just like I can understand people listening to Korn, ICP, Drake, Iggy, Kanye, Lady Gaga, Nirvana and other stuff I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole. It's not surprising to me that these artists all have huge followings. So keep in mind that one can say it SUBJECTIVELY sounds like "pure shit." St. Anger's main problem was the tendency to cram about 30 seconds of material into 6-8 minute sludge-a-thons, with no solos or interesting guitar work, some very questionable production and a generally disengaging atmosphere. Oh, and Lars has no soul at all. He can't groove. Yeah, he's competent, but he has no idea how to play funky, which this album invited due to its slower pacing.

MistAche said:

Did you actually read my post? AoA is infinitely more interesting than Revenge. If you aren't even willing to look into it, seems short-sighted to dump it in the same boat... then again, they've always been overlooked.

By AoA I can only assume you're talking about a band called Act of Aggression. In which case, I just checked out a song on Youtube. No thanks.

Doomkid said:

Edit: @Joe-Ilya, the Offspring's second album is great as well, but there's just something about that "recorded in a garage with low budget gear" sound I love about the first one

The second one has the same sound as the first and is produced by the same guy, the same goes to the third album.

MistAche said:

Yeah... let's visit Wikipedia to learn about the aesthetics of art and music.

MistAche said:

...well basically every other post in this thread where you argue with undisputed fact...

One of the few Metallica songs that speak to me In a meaningful way Is Fade to Black.

Hard hitting stuff there.

The song that always spoke to me like crazy was Orion by Metallica...yeah, it's an instrumental; but if you can't feel the emotion in those notes, you have my pity.

Ah metal. Here's a list.

-Ayreon
-Pagan's Mind
-Metroid Metal
-Star One
-Dream Theatre
-Guilt Machine
-Circle of Illusion
-Stream of Passion

Yeah, more of a prog man than straight metal, but the metal is still there. And yes, half of those are separate projects by Arjen Lucassen, but he's just that good.

MusicallyInspired said:

Ah metal. Here's a list.

-Ayreon
-Star One

Arjen's projects are among the best in Prog, the video for Pink Beatles In A Purple Zeppelin is absolutely mental.

I always like when bands do good covers. Type O Negative did a GREAT cover of Black Sabbath. It was different, the lyrics written from the perspective of the "figure in black". Another great cover was Orange Goblin's cover of Into The Void by Black Sabbath.

I love when bands make metal/rock covers of songs from other musical genres or metal/rock subgenres, like At Vance's cover of The Winner Take it All (A song by ABBA), ReinXeed's Swedish Hitz Goes Metal focuses on this, and Ascension's Listen to Your Heart (A song by Roxette) is probably my favorite cover, there's also Adrenaline Mob's cover of Come Undone(By Duran Duran).

joe-ilya said:

The second one has the same sound as the first and is produced by the same guy, the same goes to the third album.

All had the same producer and were made under epitaph, but I still rate their first the highest, and the recording quality is definitely improved from Ignition and Smash onward despite this. Mind you, what I mean by that is, I really like most of their material, but the difference from say, Smash to Splinter is pretty notable, but there's a clear trend album by album where their sound was steadily becoming more commercial. I liked it all the way up to Splinter, but the poppy, plastic sound of Rise and Fall, Rage and Grace was the killer for me.

NoisM said:

love TON

Good! And yes...Pete was phenomenal.

Bluepineapple...I don't know why you haven't done that sooner

TraceOfSpades said:

Good! And yes...Pete was phenomenal.

Bluepineapple...I don't know why you haven't done that sooner.

The Conjuring is my favorite track on that album.

Type O Negative always was one of my favorite bands...Motorhead, W.A.S.P., Down, Kiss, Pantera, Judas Priest and AC/DC too! \m/

Last night me and my friends went to go see Venom inc. with Abaddon, and Mantas. I have seen Cronos play with Venom twice before this. Both we're awesome, last night's show had a lot of energy! I have no voice this morning, because I was singing along with all of the songs they played. It was such an awesome show!

I've seen Venom's original line up, but separated.

Necrophagia put on an excellent set as well.

BluePineapple72 said:

Wasnt The Conjuring on Peace Sells?

It was, I fucked up. Whoops.

On Rust in Peace, my favorite is Holy Wars.

TraceOfSpades said:

I always like when bands do good covers. Type O Negative did a GREAT cover of Black Sabbath. It was different, the lyrics written from the perspective of the "figure in black". Another great cover was Orange Goblin's cover of Into The Void by Black Sabbath.

what about Death's Painkiller cover?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffemOtmTsw8

I can't imagine there are many Volbeat fans here, but if there are, what do you think of Seal the Deal & Let's Boogie? I've been listening to it all night and it hasn't grown on me much. I do like a few songs, but most are just mediocre, I only truly love two of the tracks. What a sickeningly poppy disappointment. I wish there was some band out there that sounded like the first 3 Volbeat albums.

TraceOfSpades said:

Fucking brilliant cover. Always loved it.

Or how about Ripper Owens's cover of King Diamond's "Abigail"? He did it better than The King if you ask me.

are there any studio recordings of that? a quick youtube look was just live versions :(

I'll come out and say It, but I'm more of the Progressive Rock type, which would be pretty damned obvious from my avatar.

But I do have my fair share of metal, like Slayer and the such. Oh, and I'm a Nine Inch Nails fan too.