Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

The Metal / Rock Music Discussion Thread

rehelekretep said:

are there any studio recordings of that? a quick youtube look was just live versions :(

Just live...but still great.

rehelekretep said:

have you heard of Scale the Summit?

Looked up one of their new songs, and they sound pretty damn awesome. Might have to check out some of their albums.

TheNerdTurtle2 said:

I just got into Nine Inch Nails.. they're so damn good haha

Good.

Speaking of which, I got half their (or his) albums on CD, even snatched up original 1992 copies of Broken and Fixed, Including Year Zero Remixed and the Deluxe Edition of Hesitation Marks at Hastings.

Tis, was a good night at that store.

But The Downward Spiral record will my most treasured of NIN, despite the second record skipping on Hurt... Still a little upset about that.

Speaking of which, I mostly have Pink Floyd on records, with Animals being on CD. REALLY want the early albums too, I believe they got reissued, so those won't be hard to find, unless I wanna go for the originals, but Eh. I heard the reissues sound good. I think the first thing I'll pick up Is Animals... Wanna listen to the rest of that album on an record.

Tritnew said:

Good.

Speaking of which, I got half their (or his) albums on CD, even snatched up original 1992 copies of Broken and Fixed, Including Year Zero Remixed and the Deluxe Edition of Hesitation Marks at Hastings.

Tis, was a good night at that store.

But The Downward Spiral record will my most treasured of NIN, despite the second record skipping on Hurt... Still a little upset about that.

Speaking of which, I mostly have Pink Floyd on records, with Animals being on CD. REALLY want the early albums too, I believe they got reissued, so those won't be hard to find, unless I wanna go for the originals, but Eh. I heard the reissues sound good. I think the first thing I'll pick up Is Animals... Wanna listen to the rest of that album on an record.

Animals is my favorite album by them.

Who wouldn't like Animals (the album)? My favorite track would have to go to Pigs (Three Different Ones), sadly I haven't listened to the rest of the tracks, but I'll get to that when I get the record for it.

Was looking forward to Download Festival on the 8th, but stuck in hospital and can't go now. Was finally going to get Gojira checked off my "to-do" list. And stuff I've seen before, but would happily watch again, like Deftones, Ghost, Periphery, Rammstein, Iron Maiden, Sabbath and so on. Bah.

rehelekretep said:

have you heard of Scale the Summit?

Happened to see them live in New York in 2011, great performance.

Tritnew said:

Who wouldn't like Animals (the album)? My favorite track would have to go to Pigs (Three Different Ones), sadly I haven't listened to the rest of the tracks, but I'll get to that when I get the record for it.

Oddly enough, that's on my "to listen" list, along with the latest Uncle Acid album; "The Night Creeper".

Cool, I'm just gonna be waiting till they reissue Animals on vinyl, if all else fails, I'll have to track down an original pressing.

I mostly listen to Pink Floyd on the turntable, sounds better there.

I've been relistening to Volbeat's new album a lot and it actually grew on me a ton. Not as good as their other stuff, but still great, imo. Pretty catchy stuff.

I've also been getting into Deftones and Amorphis, anyone like those bands? Deftones is great but wow, Amorphis is one of the most consistently amazing bands I've ever listened to. Out of the 3 albums I've heard by them (Tales from the Thousand Lakes, Elegy, and Circle) there hasn't been a dull or mediocre moment on any of them.

soulweeper said:

Out of the 3 albums I've heard by them (Tales from the Thousand Lakes, Elegy, and Circle) there hasn't been a dull or mediocre moment on any of them.

What is your favorite track on each of them?

Just re-listened to most of Broken, and HOLY SHIT it's so balls to the wall angry.

I mean, just listen to this track.

Probably one of my most favorite tracks, love Happiness in Slavery and Gave Up.

And about the movie... Man, The Broken Movie is insane. I recommend downloading it and giving it a watch if you can handle some gore.

TraceOfSpades said:

What is your favorite track on each of them?

Sorry for the late reply. This is a very hard question, since as I said, there are no dull moments on any of the albums. My favorite track from Tales is probably In The Beginning. I like how it starts off slow and heavy, almost like doom metal, then gets faster and more melodic as it goes on. It's a lot harder to choose my favorite from Elegy, but I'd have to go with Better Unborn, The Orphan, On Rich And Poor, or My Kantele. From Circle, I'd probably say Shades of Grey.

soulweeper said:

In The Beginning. I like how it starts off slow and heavy, almost like doom metal

I'll be checking that one out.

TraceOfSpades said:

I'll be checking that one out.

Well I was exaggerating a bit. It's not quite as slow as doom metal. It still does start off slower than the rest of the song, though.

Tritnew said:

I'll come out and say It, but I'm more of the Progressive Rock type, which would be pretty damned obvious from my avatar.

Seeing as you are such a huge fan of Pink Floyd, I highly recommend you check out Van Der Graaf Generator if you haven't already. Peter Hammill shares a similar vocal style with Roger Waters. Dark and powerful music, much darker than other Prog Rock bands like Genesis and King Crimson. Lyrics focus on loneliness and isolation. Has a space element as well.

Jethro Tull have some great stuff although their well known classics like "Aqualung" and "Thick as a Brick" are more folk rock focused and may not be quite what you are looking for. These bands aren't for everyone. VDGG are probably the most complex and challenging rock band out there.

Either way, here are some links:

Van Der Graaf Generator full album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQR6e_wpeiY

Van Der Graaf Generator clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JixQVCkae2U

Jethro Tull - Aqualung full album: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKR4NcZpNbg

And of course there's Rush. I'm a huge Prog Rock fan as well.

I wouldn't say "big", Pink Floyd comes close to second place, Nine Inch Nails comes first.

Then again, they're both tied. Thanks for the recommendations.

Has anyone else here ever listened to Believer? "On The Hunt" from the doom soundtrack is based on their song "Sanity Obscure". Great thrash act, and actually a christian band. An actually good christian metal band.

I got my copy and watched Ayreon - The Theatre Equation the other night and boooooy was it good. The best musical/theatrical concert/show/experience I've never been to. I regret not being cool enough to have the money to afford the trip to Rotterdam to see one of the shows. Absolutely incredible. I highly recommend even if you're not a fan it's that good.

I remember watching a Vinesauce stream and the boss fight in the game "The Fantabulous Game" has this one kickass song, so I decided to look up the game's soundtrack.

Turns out, it's made by a Folk Rock band called Korpiklaani.

I recommend ANYONE to blast this in DOOM 2016.

Just got a copy of Electric Hellfire Club's debut "Burn, Baby, Burn!". Mint condition.
Been looking for ages, since there was not a single copy on eBay and Amazon asks for insane prices...

Guess there's not much of a market for, uh.. "Satanic Psychedelic Industrial Glam Metal"?