Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

The Metal / Rock Music Discussion Thread

I know, right?

Hell, hearing a guitar solo always brings a tear to my eye if it's filled with emotions coming from the player.

One of the greatest things about Rock and Metal.

Tritnew said:

I know, right?

Hell, hearing a guitar solo always brings a tear to my eye if it's filled with emotions coming from the player.

One of the greatest things about Rock and Metal.

Yup. Also hearing the parts that make you headbang is probably one of the greatest things about Rock and Metal.

Today I listened to Invocation of the Continual One by Morbid Angel while I was playing through The Necropolis on Doom (2016) and I headbanged quite a bit while ripping and tearing through demons. It was great.

Also I fucking miss Dimebag. Pantera was the greatest thrash metal band of its time....

R.I.P Dimebag Darrell (August 20, 1966 – December 8, 2004)

Not to sound rude or anything, I really don't want to start a fight and I know how heated genre discussions can get, but Pantera is a well-known groove metal band.

I'm listening to Powerwolf for the first time because I've heard they are similar to Sabaton. So far, I don't hear a lot of similarities, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless. The album I chose to start with is Lupus Dei. I like the cover artwork. I don't know why exactly, it just looks nice.

I'm not one for Pantera, but I like them.

As soulsweeper said though, they're more of a groove metal band, not thrash.

Tritnew said:

I'm not one for Pantera, but I like them.

As soulsweeper said though, they're more of a groove metal band, not thrash.

Oh? My bad, I could have sworn they were thrash kinda. I mean Vulgar Display of Power sounds pretty thrash to me man, but it's all good. :P I guess we all have mix-up moments.

Anyway, I've been listening to a great deal of Slayer lately. Reign in Blood is a great album. :) I've listened to Alice in Chains Dirt album also, great album. Would? is now one of my favorite songs.

Pantera isn't bad. I know they get a lot of hate from more extreme metalheads, which I can kind of understand, but I listened to them a lot when I was first getting into metal. Pantera is one of those cases where, for me, their music is good but the music they influenced is not too great. I think Exhorder is better, but that's just me, and they're both fine bands.

As for Slayer, I also have not listened to them in some time. I oughta give South of Heaven another listen sometime, that one used to be my favorite.

Random little rant ahead. I was into somewhat extreme metal for quite some time, and I still absolutely love seeing live shows and playing metal stuff on guitar, but its only once in a while I sit down and listen to it these days. I still think metal is incredible, and in its many forms - death, black, thrash, groove, technical etc. It all depends on the particular band, there's hardly any consistent theme with what I like other than "it has a guitar in it". Maybe my ears are getting lazy, but I've sort of regressed into the 60s - 80s big time in the last couple of years with my music preferences and I'm not really sure what brought it on. Could must be one of those ebb and flow type things.

Doomkid said:

Random little rant ahead. I was into somewhat extreme metal for quite some time, and I still absolutely love seeing live shows and playing metal stuff on guitar, but its only once in a while I sit down and listen to it these days. I still think metal is incredible, and in its many forms - death, black, thrash, groove, technical etc. It all depends on the particular band, there's hardly any consistent theme with what I like other than "it has a guitar in it". Maybe my ears are getting lazy, but I've sort of regressed into the 60s - 80s big time in the last couple of years with my music preferences and I'm not really sure what brought it on. Could must be one of those ebb and flow type things.

I feel the same way too. I used to LOVE metal but I went for a more alternative rock preference.

Mainly industrial and progressive rock, been listening to Skinny Puppy and all that.

I just try to get into curtain genres though other then the ones I listen to.

I was never super into extreme metal. The most obscure band I know is probably Dominus. That being said I still enjoy it and will always give an extreme metal band a shot when I have the time. Lately, though, I've been listening to my favorite bands and not branching out much. I find it's hard to truly get into new bands, as I'm not the kind of person who can speed through a band's discography in a week and appreciate it. It takes me about a month or so just to fully get into one album, with rare exceptions. It sucks but at least I never get sick of the music I already love.

soulweeper said:

I was never super into extreme metal. The most obscure band I know is probably Dominus. That being said I still enjoy it and will always give an extreme metal band a shot when I have the time. Lately, though, I've been listening to my favorite bands and not branching out much. I find it's hard to truly get into new bands, as I'm not the kind of person who can speed through a band's discography in a week and appreciate it. It takes me about a month or so just to fully get into one album, with rare exceptions. It sucks but at least I never get sick of the music I already love.

I tend to be more of a thrash metal guy. I listen to a lot of 80's and early 90's metal. Grim Reaper IMHO is an underrated band and See You In Hell is a great album.

I love Slayer's old work like Haunting The Chapel, Show No Mercy, Reign in Blood, South of Heaven, and Seasons in the Abyss are all really great. I also like Undisputed Attitude.

BTW, I'm not into extreme metal but Morbid Angel is pretty great. Though I think they are death metal. Stratovarius is also awesome, but they are power metal. Still a great band.

As for Pantera? Pantera is one of the best bands out there, I love listening to Far Beyond Driven, Vulgar Display of Power, Great Southern Trendkill, and I REALLY LOVE THEIR PLANET CARAVAN COVER!

In fact it's so awesome... I just have to put it here.

Pantera's Black Sabbath covers are awesome. I wish they'd done more. :(

Too bad Dimebag died.... :(

If you like that you'll likely enjoy Exhorder's cover of Into the Void. For that matter, if you think Pantera is one of the greatest bands ever, you'll almost definitely like everything in Exhorder's small discography. They were a huge influence on Pantera and it shows.

Spoiler

While we're on the subject of covers, what are some of everyone's favorites? I know most people tend to prefer the originals (and rightfully so,) but there are some songs that sound really great in another band's style.

Sepultura had some good covers back in the Max Cavalera days:
Spoiler

Originally by Black Sabbath

I love this one. Originally by Motörhead

And speaking of Sepultura, here's a good cover of Refuse/Resist by the Brazilian death metal band Krisiun:
Spoiler

Last but not least, I'm sure everyone is sick of my constant fawning over Volbeat, but this is my favorite cover of anything by any band ever.
Spoiler

I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry, originally by Hank Williams. All of Volbeat's other covers are great, but this one really takes the cake!

Korn's cover of Another Brick in The Wall is pretty good, I mainly favor their covers for Part 1 and 3 though. The chorus in Part 2 is kind of bad.

Though, Pink Floyd is more kickback and I don't think it'd fit for Metal, in my humble opinion. Here it is anyways.

If you're looking for a more "LOOK NOW FUCKERS, I'M ON TOP NOW" version of the three songs, here you go.

And here's NIN covering David Bowie's "I'm Afraid of Americans".

I liked the NIN cover of I'm Afraid of Americans. I really should get around to listening to NIN sometime, all I know about them is from Doom and Beavis & Butt-Head.

Don't forget that Trent did the soundtrack for Quake too.

Maybe you should start with Broken or The Downward Spiral if you want to see a more heavier NIN. For a more synthpop sound, I'd start with Pretty Hate Machine (which I did)

But trust me, Broken and TDS started my love for 'em.

Yeah that's true. I've never played Quake so that factoid slips out of my mind easily. I'll probably begin with whichever album their debut is. I don't mind if it's not as heavy as long as it's good.

I absolutely love Pantera and all of their collaborative efforts with other musicians. Rebel Meets Rebel is an album they made with outlaw country star David Allen Coe and it was actually a fun listen. I'd suggest checking out the song "Nothin' To Lose". The whole album is Pantera music with rough countty vocals. It's not a favorite...but I like it.

Or their perfect collaboration with Rob Halford for the Dracula 2000 movie with "Light Comes Out Of Black". THAT is a favorite of mine. Nothing compliments Dime's shrieking guitar better than Halford's falsetto.

But I will agree that while their use of effects was innovative and great for them...it did spawn some really shitty bands who use it way too fucking much to the point where their product is literally a "check out what my pro tools can do" attempt.

In regard to Pantera's use of effects...listen to "This Love" live and studio and you tell me when Phil sounds better. Hell, when they do that song live it's almost fucking comical. Live, Phil literally sounds like a drunken stepfather doing karaoke.

What I've been into a lot lately is the absurdly heavy stoner doom metal stuff with very buried vocals that sound like agony.

Stuff like this:

Spoiler

Tritnew said:

I unironically enjoy Babymetal, the same goes with my GF.

Me too. Awesome stuff.

Also I don't believe these guys have been mentioned:

Wintersun - Starchild
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxc5Y2LbxbI

Dark Lunacy - Lunacyrcus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbRpZwG0ALc

Iron Mask - Ghengis Khan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-W-oGNAhrc

Sorry for the video dump, but the best way to experience metal (or any music) is to hear it first.

If you like Wintersun you might be interested in Järi's pre-Wintersun and pre-Ensiferum band Immemorial. They only released one demo, but I think it's mostly enjoyable. There are even a few early versions of Wintersun songs.

Again, this is not a Wintersun release. I don't know why the uploader used Wintersun cover art for the video, but I just want to clarify this is not Wintersun, it's Immemorial.

TraceOfSpades said:

it did spawn some really shitty bands who use it way too fucking much to the point where their product is literally a "check out what my pro tools can do" attempt.

That's almost every band's studio album these days. Unless it's specifically stated somewhere, you can probably assume they recorded their album like a TAS demo.

TimeOfDeath said:

That's almost every band's studio album these days. Unless it's specifically stated somewhere, you can probably assume they recorded their album like a TAS demo.

Hah, that's a hilarious analogy. Hadn't thought of it that way before, but it totally fits :D

Personally, as much as I love performances that are loaded with personality and weirdness, ultimately I don't think I care much about whether a song is performed live, heavily post-processed, or entirely sequenced, as long as I like the composition and the sound of it. I might be coming at it from a different angle than most, though, as a computer music composer.

A few months ago I found out about Vinesauce's band called Red Vox.

REALLY love this song.

Speed, Power, and Thrash metal are my Unholy Trinity. Don't care for all the nu-fangled stuff like black and death.

My favorite bands? Well, here's my by no means comprehensive list:

3 Inches of Blood, Alestorm, Body Count, DragonForce, Gamma Ray, Gwar, Hammerfall, Helloween, Jag Panzer, Judas Priest, Machinae Supremacy, Manowar, Masterplan, Megadeth, Metallica, Motorhead, Nightwish, Running Wild, Sabaton, Stratovarius, and X Japan (don't laugh, just because they look like Final Fantasy rejects doesn't mean they can't rock).

Generally I'm cool with any bands except extreme stuff (like death or black metal) or power metal (because it just sounds silly to me).

I will say that there's way too many dumb genres. Do we really need subgenres like speed, thrash, groove, alternative, neoclassical, sludge, funk metal, etc? The only subgenres that I really think are different enough to actually be a subgenre are heavy metal, doom metal, death metal, and industrial metal... and maybe rap metal.

I don't even know what some of the subgenres mean. Thrash and speed metal are both supposed to be fast and aggressive, so what's the difference? And is being high-tempo enough to warrant a whole subgenre? Groove is supposed to be like thrash but mid-tempo, but wouldn't that just be normal metal? And what's nu metal supposed to even mean? What's the difference between sludge, stoner, and doom? I don't get it.

Funny enough NuMetal is often described as something fuses Rap and Metal together, which seems to conflict or crossover with Rap Metal. Though NuMetal also seems to be taking Metal and combining it with anything, which makes the subgenre craze weirder.