Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

The Metal / Rock Music Discussion Thread

I don't really follow the ridiculous subgenres of metal, if there's a curtain subgenre of metal that I like, I'll stick to it.

TheMightyHeracross said:

I will say that there's way too many dumb genres. Do we really need subgenres like speed, thrash, groove, alternative, neoclassical, sludge, funk metal, etc? The only subgenres that I really think are different enough to actually be a subgenre are heavy metal, doom metal, death metal, and industrial metal... and maybe rap metal.

While it may seem annoying and elitist to have so many metal sub genres I actually think it IS indeed helpful and necessary. Sludge Metal sounds very different from more traditional Doom Metal bands and I appreciate the ability to click genres on the website RateYourMusic (like Traditional Doom Metal, for example) which filters out Sludge Metal stuff that I don't like. The difference is substantial to the point that mixing the two just wastes my time when sifting through various albums. Death and Funeral Doom Metal are also VERY different.

I can agree that labels like Speed Metal are less useful but some people really appreciate the less abrasive form of faster metal it provides. Bands like Agent Steel and Satan really fit that mold.

Also, Black Metal is absolutely a worthy genre. So is neoclassical and Thrash, Folk Metal etc. I mean come on man, you can't just lump everything together. If you can't hear the difference between sub genres you need to get your hearing checked. Or you're just ignorant quite honestly.

I mostly agree with RUSH. The only point I disagree with them on is the speed metal thing, I don't think it's any less useful than the other niche subgenres like death 'n' roll. Now of course stuff like pirate metal and a lot of the random -cores like spacecore or something are just ridiculous, but there is definitely a need for classifications such as black metal, death metal, thrash metal, and so on. Megadeth is thrash metal, for example, but imagine there were no subgenres and all you could call it was metal. You could go online and ask for metal recommendations but it wouldn't help you much, as a Megadeth fan, when people suggest Blind Guardian or Leviathan. And don't even get me started on the whole nu-metal and metalcore thing.

Also, Heracross, out of curiosity, what bands do you like? You don't seem to enjoy extreme metal or the lighter power metal stuff so I'm just wondering.

Maybe I just don't know enough Speed Metal bands but most I've heard sound very similar to Heavy Metal or Thrash Metal. I don't doubt it's a thing though. Power Metal on the other hand is definitely very different and something else entirely. I'm glad these distinctions exist.

Dimebag Darell was last real guitar hero. Real god of riffs. Pantera is Pantera, simply one of the best in all rock music, Led Zeppelin of 90'.

soulweeper said:

Also, Heracross, out of curiosity, what bands do you like? You don't seem to enjoy extreme metal or the lighter power metal stuff so I'm just wondering.

Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Exodus, Alice in Chains, SOAD, Judas Priest, RATM, Biohazard, Sleep, Electric Wizard.

Admittedly all very popular stuff except those last three I guess.

Also, Black Metal is absolutely a worthy genre. So is neoclassical and Thrash, Folk Metal etc. I mean come on man, you can't just lump everything together. If you can't hear the difference between sub genres you need to get your hearing checked. Or you're just ignorant quite honestly.

Well, it's not really that. I can hear the difference (besides a few like Speed/Thrash or Doom/Sludge/Stoner). I just don't get how it's worth categorizing over.

I didn't know about them before. High on Fire's kinda neat. The vocalist is like a pissed off Lemmy. Om's cool too, but damn, I thought Sleep songs were long. (Not counting Dopesmoker, obviously)

Fun fact:

When Sleep broke up, half of the members went on to form Om, while the other half went on to form High On Fire.

My favorite Om song is State of Non Return.

Yeah, Dopesmoker is a long track.

Man, speaking of Dope...fucking Dopethrone.

esselfortium said:

Personally, as much as I love performances that are loaded with personality and weirdness, ultimately I don't think I care much about whether a song is performed live, heavily post-processed, or entirely sequenced, as long as I like the composition and the sound of it. I might be coming at it from a different angle than most, though, as a computer music composer.

I generally feel the same. Especially with computer music, it's assumed it's played by a computer so I don't expect anything else than perfect computer playing (and I don't mind that at all). But when the music is portrayed as 'being played by a band' and the band practises together and plays concerts together, I'd rather just hear the band actually playing their music without all the extra recording tricks and with any playing imperfections and mistakes left intact (no matter how glaring).

TheMightyHeracross said:

Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Exodus, Alice in Chains, SOAD, Judas Priest, RATM, Biohazard, Sleep, Electric Wizard.

Admittedly all very popular stuff except those last three I guess.

Nice, nice. Some good stuff in there. Can't say I've heard of Biohazard, though. I'll have to look them up.

TheMightyHeracross said:

Well, it's not really that. I can hear the difference (besides a few like Speed/Thrash or Doom/Sludge/Stoner). I just don't get how it's worth categorizing over.

Because it has characteristics that are different from many other subgenres of metal and it's beneficial to those who like that style to categorize it.

Wisconsin's SummerFest was this past two weeks, and I managed to get there twice for Tesla, REO Speedwagon, Def Leppard, XXI, and Skillet. Also saw a little of some group called Midnight Mob. Overall pretty fun, lot of great music and shows to watch.

Also found some new, neat stuff to listen too as I had never heard of Tesla, XXI, or Midnight Mob before, so it was cool to hear some new stuff and look into it.

The Van Warped Tour is taking Summerfest's place in the next week, so I might get to see Yellowcard as they go about their final world tour.

Edit: I'm dumb and didn't see the other more recent and relevant thread:

Edited by ReFracture