Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PureSlime

Can we all just agree on one thing?

PureSlime said:

The Lost Soul sound effects are awful and annoying and I hate them.

I'v not even noticed them to be honest. The bodies burning away freaks me out some times cause it sounds like an imp.

Doesn't the charging sound play long after they've started their charge, and potentially long after they've died? Because I swear that's the charging sound, and I hate it.

I think they function exactly like the originals.
Annoying, u want to kill them first. So they stayed very true to the doom vibe.

I just want them to be a little quieter and stfu when dead. Like, a somewhat dying comedic scream once shot.

It's like mobile World's Loudest Orgasms launching themselves to explode on your face.
Perhaps that could've been phrased better.

Their annoying scream sort of relates well to how annoying vocally they could be (in a group) in classic doom. Though, they could tone the scream/yell of they have down some loudness wise, as they drown out mostly anything else nearby with it.

Every last thing in this game is going to be scrutinized without mercy, it seems. What's next? One of ya'll feels burned because there's no polygonal turds in the toilets?

I think the noise is important, a loud scream immedeately notifies you, that a lost soul is getting ready to charge at you somewhere. It's like those high-pitched pain-like screams the summoners make, which means it's easy to HEAR when a summoner is around. Enemy sounds like these were important in the orignal Doom games too.

Sound design communicating to the player what's going on around them is a really important, but often overlooked aspect of game design. Eurogamer made an article/video on the subject with Blizzard's upcoming 'Overwatch' as an example of great communicative sound design.

ArchvileHunter said:

I think the noise is important, a loud scream immedeately notifies you, that a lost soul is getting ready to charge at you somewhere. It's like those high-pitched pain-like screams the summoners make, which means it's easy to HEAR when a summoner is around. Enemy sounds like these were important in the orignal Doom games too.

Sound design communicating to the player what's going on around them is a really important, but often overlooked aspect of game design. Eurogamer made an article/video on the subject with Blizzard's upcoming 'Overwatch' as an example of great communicative sound design.

True, but other demons don't drown out most other sounds with an extremely loud audio cue.

ArchvileHunter said:

stuff

I know all this. But you don't need to make a sound effect undesirable to listen to and you especially don't detach the sound effect from what it's meant to convey to the player.

I still swear the charging sound plays past death. That's actually downright against good sound design, because what the sound means - that there's something that's about to explode on you - has long past become the truth.

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but complaining about demons sounding unpleasant is silly IMO.

I don't personally have a problem with the Lost Soul attack sound, but since some people are complaining about it, it's arguably bad sound design.

Doom 3 Lost Soul sfx were worse, I Keep bringing this up (if you noticed lol) Annoying ugly low poly women Head .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

Doom 3 Lost Soul sfx were worse, I Keep bringing this up (if you noticed lol) Annoying ugly low poly women Head .

To be fair, all the heads in Doom 3 were rather ugly and low poly.

ArchvileHunter said:

I don't mean to sound like a dick, but complaining about demons sounding unpleasant is silly IMO.

I don't personally have a problem with the Lost Soul attack sound, but since some people are complaining about it, it's arguably bad sound design.

For me it's not really how the scream itself sounds, more of how overly loud it is (it does let you know a lost soul is attacking but at the cost of being able to hear other things).

It's been established that Doom '16 has sound level problems (such as the rocket launcher being significantly quieter than the super shotty). Dunno how this was overlooked.

GoatLord said:

Every last thing in this game is going to be scrutinized without mercy, it seems. What's next? One of ya'll feels burned because there's no polygonal turds in the toilets?

No because those toilets have auto flush

julz_d said:

No because those toilets have auto flush

I was still looking for something.

Spoiler

And I wasn't disappointed. I spent a good minute trying to flush that head though. :P

Johnatone said:

I was still looking for something.

Spoiler

And I wasn't disappointed. I spent a good minute trying to flush that head though. :P

Lol well least it's not like Duke Nukem forever where you can pick the turd up and throw it for an achievement