Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheGamePhilosophe

Digital Foundry Analysis: Id Tech 6

Personally I wasn't impressed graphically by doom when I saw last year's E3. Now watching the videos it's a lot better but still not top notch like doom 3 was when it came out (really pushed the boundary, better looking than HL). Doom 3 was used a lot as a benchmark for new gpus, whereas it seems that doom runs fairly well on most modern guys. The graphics also look rushed. Feels like certain areas have missing lighting.

I'd actually say Doom 2016 looks better compared to the competition than Doom3 did back then - and that at 60fps.

r_init: getpostnumberforname: post not found!

Edited by Justince

It's pretty impressive that it managed to get on consoles at 60 FPS 1080p, something game companies typically sacrifice for the sake of squeezing out better visuals. Sure, the resolution is sacrificed in high intensity areas but, on the Ps4 at least, it doesn't happen very often.

Anyone notice how the song in the video (from the game itself) sounds like E1M5 remastered?

sleepii said:

Personally I wasn't impressed graphically by doom when I saw last year's E3. Now watching the videos it's a lot better but still not top notch like doom 3 was when it came out (really pushed the boundary, better looking than HL). Doom 3 was used a lot as a benchmark for new gpus, whereas it seems that doom runs fairly well on most modern guys. The graphics also look rushed. Feels like certain areas have missing lighting.

Doom 3's lighting was ahead of its time, albeit the sharp stencil factors of lighting weren't exactly pleasant. Some ambient light goes a long way as mods and Sikkmod demonstrate.

But geez louise those models. Pointy cone heads, mitten hands, and blurry textures everywhere due to extreme optimization measures. D3 has the advantage in lighting and shader tech, but Half-Life 2 for its time actually looked like a believable environment, even if it had mitten hands and weird LODs of its own.

Denzoa said:

Anyone notice how the song in the video (from the game itself) sounds like E1M5 remastered?

That's because it is. A lot of music in Doom'16 takes reference to Doom's existing music.

Ya about the same time we had hl2, riddick. right now I don't see any games that impress me this much visually, I will say I love how good mega textures Look, so sharp from quite far away, it makes the back drop so crystal clear.