Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

Strife: Veteran Edition hits GOG.com

You can now pick up Night Dive Studios' re-release of the classic Strife: Quest for the Sigil DRM-free on GOG.com, for Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux. Optional support for GOG Galaxy achievements, overlay, and lobby-based multiplayer is included. You can pick it up at https://www.gog.com/game/strife_veteran_edition.

Note that the original DOS version is included with this build, as an extra bonus. You can find it in an included zip file. You'll need to combine it with DOSBox on your own in order to play it.

GOG said:

Hailed as the original FPS-RPG game that spawned countless imitators

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Quasar said:

Note that the original DOS version is included with this build, as an extra bonus. You can find it in an included zip file. You'll need to combine it with DOSBox on your own in order to play it.

The WAD also works in ZDoom. I've had the original game for some time, and haven't noticed any major problems in that source port.

The biggest issue with Strife in ZDoom is that the "Bloodbath" skill setting works too much like Doom's "Nightmare", which makes even getting out of the first room really hard. If you don't play in Bloodbath, then there are a few minor differences between ZDoom and vanilla Strife but nothing gamebreaking: mostly it's stuff like the "entering <area>" messages not being displayed after a hub transition, or IIRC some really obscure bit about the trajectory of blood splats or bullet puffs.

This is great! I've been waiting for this for awhile. Any Idea on how long the sale is going to last?

I said:

I'll buy Strife a second time if Veteran's Edition ever shows up on GOG.com...

Done.

CODOR said:

Done.

I'm tempted to re-buy this out of principle too, but I haven't played thru my Steam copy yet; most of the time the Steam DRM is not a problem for me right now, and afaics the data portion via Steam is not modified so I could build a DRM-free version from source if I chose to.

Bought. TBH I don't even care too much about Strife, but now that it's available legally and without DRM, I felt a certain obligation to get it.

Good job Quasar & co.

I have Strife as a retail package in my collection since ages, but never really finished it. After i bought the Veteran Edition i played a lot at the weekend. At the moment i have done something i had not expected.

Spoiler

Killed Macil.

Can't wait to find time to see the rest of the game.

Everybody involved in this have done a great job.

Also, great work Quasar and others. It's good to see more releases being put up on GOG.

I wonder when/if this will be covered by the new Gog Connect service, which lets you convert Steam purchased games into DRM-free GOG ones.

Jon said:

I wonder when/if this will be covered by the new Gog Connect service, which lets you convert Steam purchased games into DRM-free GOG ones.

Only NDS could answer whether they have any intention of participating in that. My gut tells me probably not, though.