Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Gorefest

DOWN WITH WINDOWS ME!

God I hate this OS, I hope none of you ever get it! I cant run hardly ANY old games I.E. Doom, Duke, Quake, God its lame, I have errors, glitches, sigh.....

I have WinME myself and I run DOOM Legacy, Duke3D, glQuake and a bunch of other old games without problems. The only snag is, X-Com Ufo Defense won't work because of compatibility problems with my GeForce. Truly the second coolest game ever, and I can't run it :(

I also have windowsme, it works perfectly fine for me, it can run all the dooms and ports, duke, quake and hexen, any old game in fact.

It could be your computer, I dont know.

[quote]I also have windowsme, it works perfectly fine for me, it can run all the dooms and ports, duke, quake and hexen, any old game in fact.[quote]
Ditto.

Maybe its the system ? whats yer specs ? Im Pentium 3 580 ram geforce 3 20 gig hd

It's not the system, WindowsME is shit. Jeez, I'm gonna have to post a news report here if this keeps up.

I'm Using Win2k (required for college) I must say it is INFINITELY more stable while full registry loaded, than '98 is with a clean install.

Only bad thing...I get general protection faults from 3D games. Deus Ex, Serious Sam, even Ultimate Doom!

Sux.

I think I'll have to get another HD and make the fucker into a dual boot system.

Win2k has a '98, and '95 emulator on the CD, but since MicroSHIT only gives liscences, not media for Win2k, i'm f**ked.

IF anybody can track down this emulator for me it would be a big help.

Win2k has a '98, and '95 emulator on the CD, but since MicroSHIT only gives liscences, not media for Win2k, i'm f**ked.

IF anybody can track down this emulator for me it would be a big help.

I'm assuming you're talking about mkcompat. That won't help you get those games running. Mkcompat will only help you fool a program into thinking your system is win98 or win95 or nt4, but can't help you run a game if it crashes on you.

On the other hand, if you're getting crashes in games, it would help to post some of the error messages, if they're bluescreens it's very easy to track down most of the time. The most common cause of bluescreens in gaming in win2k is due to outdated Soundblaster Live! drivers ... unfortunately those are the latest drivers posted on Creative Labs sites and you'll have to poke around a bit to find replacement drivers that are leaked from their internal tests. (build 3219 of the Live! drivers is a good one)

Microsoft offers licenses for Win2k as well as CDs. If your school does not provide the media, copy their installation source and burn your own. You have a license, there's no restriction from you owning a CD as well.

You can dual boot w/o a new hd

I'm pretty sure It'll void my warranty, and cancel my on site service plan.

I'd have to get another HD, to keep my warranty in effect.

Since this $2,000 system is intended to help me get my engineering degree at VT, the powers that be (my parents), don't see my computer as something to be used as a gaming machine.

What a waste of 1.4 gHz processor, and 512MB of DDR RAM =(
And a GeForce 2 GTS =( all because of the OS required by my college.

What a waste of 1.4 gHz processor, and 512MB of DDR RAM =(
And a GeForce 2 GTS =( all because of the OS required by my college.

Of course, since you have a GF2, it would do for you to look up the latest detonator drivers ... something in the 12.xx series would be good ones to try.

Point is, there's no reason Win2k wouldn't be able to run most of the games you listed without crashing. I've been playing Deus Ex for ages now on my Win2k machines, and I haven't had much trouble with Serious Sam either (well, there was an issue with it, AMD K6, and Win2k as a combination, but that was resolved in a patch). Ultimate Doom (as in, doom.exe) you wouldn't be able to play, but you could always use a win32 source port.

Stats:

AMD Thunderbird 1GHz on ALi MagiK 1 chipset (M1647)
1GB PC133 SDRAM
40GB ATA100 HDD
3Dfx Voodoo 5500 AGP
16x DVD-ROM

AMD K6 800MHz on AMD Irongate 761 chipset
256MB PC100 SDRAM
40GB ATA100 HDD
3Dfx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP
16x DVD-ROM

Oh yeah, I've voided my warranty on these machines in one way or another many times over by now. :)

Deus Ex:

Stuff about functions within the game engine. References to Unreal Engine functions and such.

Deus works fine on my gaming machine which runs '98.

Serious Sam:

"Program has generated errors. A log is being created"

"General protection fault." --- (WTF? I've had these caused by buggy source code when I'm programming in C++. Would the difference in the two OS's cause it?)

Once again...Sam works FINE on a system that is nearly identitical (hardware wise), but using windows 98.

I'm usin the latest Win2k specific drivers for my sound card and video card. I even flashed my motherboard chipset.

ABOUT THE MEDIA:

I called up the company that built my computer, and they said that Microsoft Doesn't provide the media. I think they just gypped me. I did receive a RECOVERY DISC, that allows me to restore my system to it's original settings, but no disc with the full OS on it.

all because of the OS required by my college.

Just how in the fuck can a college tell you what OS to put on your computer? Tell them to shove it.

I cried every night becuase I hate ME, the constant crashes that occured when opening Notepad or disconnecting from the internet. Now I 2000 and I praise the almighty gates for salvation, and take his wallet while he is not looking..

How does that work, exactly? Even REACH for the power button and the monitor blips with a blue screen:

"Don't EVEN fucking bother. You know and I know what's gonna happen."

Maybe its the system ? whats yer specs ? Im Pentium 3 580 ram geforce 3 20 gig hd

It's not the system, WindowsME is shit. Jeez, I'm gonna have to post a news report here if this keeps up.

Lut, I think there is problem with you. Why do always have to flame WindowsME?!? I use it a lot and I never have problems with it. Geez, some people...

Lut, I think there is problem with you. Why do always have to flame WindowsME?!? I use it a lot and I never have problems with it. Geez, some people...

Alright, you asked for it. I'll be back in about a day with all the proof you could possibly ask for that WindowsME is a steaming pile o crap. You wait and see...

Becuase it sucks, it makes the first release of 98 look like
Estacy OS. If your going to do more than check your mail (which does not work half the time) then get 98 or 2000..
I have ME, it blows..

I use it a lot and I never have problems with it. Geez, some people...

You may have no problems but that doesnt mean other people dont.

As for me, I dual boot between Win2k and Debian 2.2 (which I now use more, I hardly boot Windows at all nowadays). Win2k is actually surprisingly stable for a Windows OS but it does of course have compatibility problems with some games.

Windows ME is a masterpiece of evil creation. I ran for nearly three months once. In the beginning it ran perfectly and lightning fast. It had a nice user interface (much like WIN2K), practically all games worked. Everything worked perfectly and I was beginning to think that this was the best OS change I had ever made.

Then, the problems began.

This process was very cruelly twisted. In the beginning only small crashes occured, like that some program would hang without crashing the system. I started to hear a voice telling me that something was wrong, but it was quietly hushed inside my mind. The problems increased on perfectly weighed scale; I didn't really notice that more and more programs hanged and that OS glitches started to show up. I was laid into a numb state of mind, oblivious to the diabolical changes taking place to the operating system before my very eyes. Blue screens started to appear. I had already gone too far into my mental regression at that point to feel anything else than a faint irritation. Soon, that feeling too disappeared.

At the end of three month period, I started to see faces on the screen. They were laughing at me. Fires burned in the distance. Tortured, mindless souls wandered the plains, and I was very close to become one of them. How close, I know not today. All I know is that my will was completely broken. I was helplessly being dragged down into a world of chrashing systems, bluescreens and driver problems. Nothing could have broken the hypnosis, except one thing.

One day that one thing happened.

I noticed that the computer had broken down due to a hardware error. I had to leave to the technical support of my computer vendor (after all, its for free). It stayed there for a couple of weeks. With each passing day, I realized what the operating system had done to me. It had been playing around with my mind just by pure cruelty before attempting to consume it completely. Windows ME feeds on souls. It tries to lure you with fast boot-ups, good backwards compability and good system performance, but it is evil and rotten to the core. So, windows ME users, change OS before it is too late. I was given a second chance, and now I live a happy life with my WIN2K installation. All of you that are too far into the regression to actually that this OS is good... May god have mercy on your souls.

Windows 2000 is a business OS for Christs Sake Grul! Man, some people just don't learn.

Its MARKETED as a business OS. That doesnt mean you cant use it to play games. You may have some problems but if the games are modern and well written you should have very few.

A friend of mine (a serious computer geek) brought up an interesting point that every piece of computer hardware or software with a possesive pronoun in it's name is bad. Windows ME, Imac, so on...

A friend of mine (a serious computer geek) brought up an interesting point that every piece of computer hardware or software with a possesive pronoun in it's name is bad. Windows ME, Imac, so on...

I guess your buddy would also believes Bill is the 666 guy LOL. ME is very good to me, maybe 'cause I am possesive , or possessed by the evil OS system. The Devil will get you all Murharharharharhar ...............

Windows 2000 is a business OS for Christs Sake Grul! Man, some people just don't learn.

Yeah? So? It is the best Windows OS by leaps and bounds anyway, so why not use it even if it classified as a business OS?

... so why not use it even if it classified as a business OS?

Not to get into an "OS" debate, but here's something to consider when one is into games and the latest hardware: drivers! They are made for the most common OS first and then -maybe- for the "business" OS.

ATI is one in particular that made that decision. So be sure to check that vendor X has drivers for OS Y or be prepared to buy new hardware too.

In addition, one may run into additional software glitches because game code gets an OS version id that it doesn't know what to do with.

Have a 2nd computer available so you can browse around trying to solve these interesting problems.